5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need a little help please

sep1006

Reaction score
Just got home from the grocery store. Pulled in the driveway and unloaded the groceries. Immediately went back outside to put the truck in the garage and nothing. 2022 Ram Rebel 5.7 hemi with 35k miles on it. Lights and radio come on. Don't have a voltage meter available but I probably wouldn't know how to use it anyway.

Wouldn't think it would be the battery already but I guess it could be.

Any suggestions????

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just got home from the grocery store. Pulled in the driveway and unloaded the groceries. Immediately went back outside to put the truck in the garage and nothing. 2022 Ram Rebel 5.7 hemi with 35k miles on it. Lights and radio come on. Don't have a voltage meter available but I probably wouldn't know how to use it anyway.

Wouldn't think it would be the battery already but I guess it could be.

Any suggestions????
It's possible it's battery. Has it been starting slower recently? There is a battery voltage reading in the EVIC menus. I'd shut it off close the doors and walk away for about 1/2 hour, then try again. This is a good post to mention the convenience of having a jump starter pack you carry in your truck. They aren't all that expensive and can be a life saver.

dmitryDS

Reaction score
Had very similar experience at Costco store. Went it just fine, returned to a dead car.

The dealership sent a tow truck and they got it started via jump starter.

TL:DR 1 y.o. truck with a dead battery. Replaced on warranty.

sep1006

Reaction score
It's possible it's battery. Has it been starting slower recently? There is a battery voltage reading in the EVIC menus. I'd shut it off close the doors and walk away for about 1/2 hour, then try again. This is a good post to mention the convenience of having a jump starter pack you carry in your truck. They aren't all that expensive and can be a life saver.

Truck has been starting fine with no issues at all. Tried disconnecting the battery for a few minutes then re-connecting. Still won't start, then tried to jump start it with the wifes car and still won't start. Lights are bright and radio is on.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Truck has been starting fine with no issues at all. Tried disconnecting the battery for a few minutes then re-connecting. Still won't start, then tried to jump start it with the wifes car and still won't start. Lights are bright and radio is on.
Like when you push the start button, nothing happens at all? Try pushing the button with the keyfob itself.

sep1006

Reaction score
Like when you push the start button, nothing happens at all? Try pushing the button with the keyfob itself.

Yeh I did that and it still wouldn't start. But all the lights are flickering on and off like a turn signal.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yeh I did that and it still wouldn't start. But all the lights are flickering on and off like a turn signal.
That does sound like the battery.
My last battery read 12.4 volts on a multi-meter, dropped down to 8 volts or so
when attempting to start, just did not have the capacity left in it.
I tried charging it for couple hours, to no help, would`t take a charge. It was year and a half old.

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
These trucks are unpredictable when it comes to battery life. My original made it 2.5 yrs.

sep1006

Reaction score
Yeh I'm just going to go ahead and replace it. O'reillys is the closest parts store near me. They have the Super Star Platinum with 800 cca for $240.

sep1006

Reaction score
That does sound like the battery.
My last battery read 12.4 volts on a multi-meter, dropped down to 8 volts or so
when attempting to start, just did not have the capacity left in it.
I tried charging it for couple hours, to no help, would`t take a charge. It was year and a half old.

Crazy because I just looked at the voltage gauge the other day and it was where it should have been.

These trucks are unpredictable when it comes to battery life. My original made it 2.5 yrs.

Well it was the battery, barely over 2.5 years old. Truck started but have a few warning lights on. From reading on here sounds like a normal thing. Will check it tomorrow morning and see if everything reset.

Thanks to all who responded !!!!

23RAM

Reaction score
From reading on here sounds like a normal thing.
Definitely not normal unless you've been abusing the battery by playing tunes without running the engine, leaving lights on, parking it for weeks at a time, etc. It's a myth that they only last a few years. Flooded lead-acid batteries that are maintained and recharged regularly in vehicles should last 8-10 years or more. I've had them in cars, boats, rv's, sleds, campers, bikes, snowblowers, generators, backup power supplies, etc., and they all last for many years when they're taken care of properly. The only reason they don't last is that they are not maintained properly or they get discharged too low (sulfate) and won't hold a full charge. Many times the charging system doesn't recharge properly, or similar, and people blame the battery when it's due to other factors like a poor alternator, loose connections, corrosion, etc.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Definitely not normal unless you've been abusing the battery by playing tunes without running the engine, leaving lights on, parking it for weeks at a time, etc. It's a myth that they only last a few years. Flooded lead-acid batteries that are maintained and recharged regularly in vehicles should last 8-10 years or more. I've had them in cars, boats, rv's, sleds, campers, bikes, snowblowers, generators, backup power supplies, etc., and they all last for many years when they're taken care of properly. The only reason they don't last is that they are not maintained properly or they get discharged too low (sulfate) and won't hold a full charge. Many times the charging system doesn't recharge properly, or similar, and people blame the battery when it's due to other factors like a poor alternator, loose connections, corrosion, etc.
It true. They go bad sometimes. She doesn't always matter. Had the factory battery in my 99 Dakota up and die on me out of the blue. Less than three years old. It was my daily driver and never ran the battery down or had to get a jump start. Drive to lunch, came out and nothing. Barely started with a jump start

llando88

Reaction score
I just replaced the factory battery in my 2021 Big Horn in September. Truck went through final assembly at Sterling Heights MI in November of 2020, so the battery was almost exactly 3 years old. I don't do anything weird, just drive the truck. We bought it for towing our small travel trailer, but only made one 5 month trip last summer in it. Otherwise just local trips etc. No modifications; it's completely stock and maintained by the book.

Same scenario; came out of the house and got a slow crank, then it died with a bunch of lights. After that, nothing, zip, nada. I was lucky to have my NOCO Boost Plus GB40 jump starter box (man, that thing saved my butt). I attached the leads and it started the truck right up.

Unfortunately we were right in the middle of moving house that weekend, so I didn't have the luxury of calling around for good prices, as I needed to get the truck in service right away. So I forked over $275 at a local auto parts store for a Diehard Platinum AGM H7-AGM and the guy swapped it out for me at 8AM the next morning while I waited. Truck has been great ever since. It did take a few days for all the functions to return and the CEL to extinguish is all.

I've had similar results on other cars. For example before the truck I had a fancy pants sports car, a 2017, that I swapped the factory battery out May of 2021, or after about 4 years. I suspect its the Florida heat, it just seems hard on my batteries, but I don't know for sure if that's a thing for everybody.

sep1006

Reaction score
Definitely not normal unless you've been abusing the battery by playing tunes without running the engine, leaving lights on, parking it for weeks at a time, etc.

Well I can assure you this, NONE of what you said applies to me. I'm retired and work out 6 days a week and play golf pretty much everyday of the week. So my truck is driven quite a bit every day.

Also I am meticulous about my vehicles, both in cleanliness/detailing and maintenance. Whether it's my motorcycles, wife's cars or my truck.

I live in the Houston, Tx area and pretty much have my whole life. I have NEVER had any battery last me more than 5 years.

23RAM

Reaction score
It true. They go bad sometimes.
Same scenario; came out of the house and got a slow crank, then it died with a bunch of lights.
That sounds like a defective cell in the battery. Sure that can happen, but it's not normal.
I have NEVER had any battery last me more than 5 years.
I've never had a battery not last 10 years under normal operating conditions. I live in Canada where we go from 90f summers to -30f winters - yet my batteries have always lasted. Many friends and relatives say the same thing. My boating friends often complain about house battery life, but they're abusing the wrong battery type.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That was old school.
Unfortunately our 5th gen. Rams do not shut down completely when you turn off the ignition.
They slowly ramp down the systems, taking up to 30 min. or more before going to "sleep" Needles to say, that
is not good for battery longevity.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That sounds like a defective cell in the battery. Sure that can happen, but it's not normal.

I've never had a battery not last 10 years under normal operating conditions. I live in Canada where we go from 90f summers to -30f winters - yet my batteries have always lasted. Many friends and relatives say the same thing. My boating friends often complain about house battery life, but they're abusing the wrong battery type.
Yes, mine was a defective cell. It happens. Never said it was normal. But also doesn't mean it didn't happen in this case

TampaLaramie

Reaction score
8-10 years? That’s cool. Ive never had a battery last more than 3 in my entire life. I’m 35. Down in Florida engine bay temps can get up to 140-160 degrees if you don’t drive highway roads. I would think the average customer would need a replacement every 2-3 years. I even worked at an auto parts store for 3 years as my first job and I’ve never heard of a battery lasting that long. Glad you can save money though.

I just replaced my battery this month and I took delivery of the truck in Sept 2021. 33k miles driven fairly regularly. I have a work car so not every day, but the truck won’t sit for more than 4 days.

ZombieSlayer

Reaction score
Got my truck in Feb 2019 and haven't had any issues with the battery. Truck can sit for 2 days without issue. I typically yak on the phone for an hour or longer hands free with the key in acc (have to turn it back to acc a couple of times as the truck shuts off at a predetermined time) a couple of times a month. Drive less than 20 miles round trip for work and always use remote start in the mornings and now at night during the winter.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I must have gotten a good battery, my truck was a Jan 2019 build, my battery is still originally and I typically go 1-2 weeks between drives without any issues.

However, I will once every couple of months connect my battery to a smart charger and get it full. I do this to prevent the battery from ever getting too low and hurt it's lifespan. Once you do that, it's a vicious circle that ends the batteries cycles earlier than normal. Once you let it go low enough to require a boost, it's downhill from there.

I also live in a stable temperate zone, so it's never really exposed to very cold or hot weather.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread