5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

navigation

fast ed

Reaction score
On the 21 Laramies with navigation. Do you have any subscription fees after the first year is over

smoke8r

Reaction score
Not sure this helps you, but I have a 2020 Sport and there is no subscription fee.

Lorne Greene

Reaction score
Why not just use carplay or android auto? The maps are always up to date.

With the RAM navigation, I believe you have to have the XM subscription to get real-time traffic and routing according to traffic. And if you live in an area like I do which is building a lot of new roads you have to buy updated maps.

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If you want it online then yes , you’ll need to subscribe to Guardian . If you don’t mind using the maps that are downloaded into the GPS then it’s free .

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Completely free, no subscription needed unless you want extras.

By extras, I mean stuff like XM Guardian that gives you weather, traffic alerts, fuel prices, etc. Without the extras the navigator works just like the old windshield mounted units. It displays a live map of where you currently are, and you can obviously set it to give you directions. The only thing you're not getting that the paid extra gives you is a heads up on construction or crash. If you come upon such things you can just tell it to diver you, and it will navigate around it.

As for the ever common/popular opinion of using Android or Apple. Well simply because some of us just don't want to have to use those. I like having my navigator being part of the truck. I don't need to plug in (or bluetooth) my phone to it if I want a map or directions. I suppose for the younger generations that have had a phone in their hands their entire lives that probably doesn't seem like an issue. Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-technology, but I don't always have my phone on me.... I know crazy right. :D

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Completely free, no subscription needed unless you want extras.

By extras, I mean stuff like XM Guardian that gives you weather, traffic alerts, fuel prices, etc. Without the extras the navigator works just like the old windshield mounted units. It displays a live map of where you currently are, and you can obviously set it to give you directions. The only thing you're not getting that the paid extra gives you is a heads up on construction or crash. If you come upon such things you can just tell it to diver you, and it will navigate around it.

I believe you are not entirely correct.

Without Guardian, I believe you lose the ability to tap on the microphone on the Nav screen and say something like "McDonald's" and have it do an online search for the nearest places of interest that match what you spoke.

Without the online search that comes with having Guardian, you are limited to searching for specific addresses, using the map data that is stored in the Uconnect.

The online searching actually works reasonably well. Trying to find POIs using only the built-in map data sucks. But, of course, you can always search for your destination in Maps on your phone and then manually enter the address into the truck's nav to have it navigate you there. It's just not NEARLY as convenient.

Personally, I extended my Guardian package - but just the remote package. I really like having the ability to use my phone to lock/unlock/remote start, and also to find a destination and then use Send'n'Go to send my destination to the nav in my truck.

The remote unlock has saved my bacon at least once, when I actually managed to lock my key fob in the bed of my truck. Using my phone to remote unlock worked, otherwise, I was going to have to call a locksmith.

IIRC, I was scuba diving and wanted to lock up my truck while I was in the water, but obviously couldn't take my fob with me. So, I took the valet key out of the fob and put the fob in the bed (with a tonneau cover), then locked up the whole truck. When I came back, I was able to unlock the driver's door with my valet key, but that set the alarm off and the truck wouldn't let me unlock my tailgate, so I couldn't get to my key fob. I was very happy to have Uconnect with the Guardian Remote subscription that day!

Side note: The only thing I miss about having a Ford truck is the keypad entry on the driver's door. That was SO handy for things like scuba diving or for riding my dirtbike in the woods and not wanting to carry my truck key on me. I could just imagine crashing my dirtbike and losing my key in the woods somewhere. Or just being able to park my truck with the key inside and then give the door code to a friend and let them get my truck to use. Or have it serviced and just tell the place to leave the truck outside with the key locked inside when they were done, so I could pick it up after hours. And on and on. It was so handy, and it's so annoying that nobody but Ford (Lincoln/Mercury) seems to have that. Probably something Ford patented and won't license to anyone else...

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think you're probably right about the search feature on Nav but I'm not positive. You can still you voice commands to select a destination, but you may have to be more specific than "find mcdonalds" or something like that. Then again maybe not, because the dash mounted navigator (Garmin) in my work car can search for POI's so maybe ours can do the same. Obviously it wouldn't find anything recently added, but it may be able to find places that were there when it was made. Or maybe not since its similar to searching fuel prices. It may be an "extra" that you lose, but you can still navigate by voice. Next time I drive my truck I'll give it a try and see if it can do it or not.

As for the key pad. Yes, that is a great feature, and you're probably right about a patent or something since nobody else seems to have it. As for you key while diving or doing other sports. Until Dodge comes out with a convenient feature like that (or if you don't want to pay for the remote unlock via Guardian) you can use a stash box which can be hidden around the truck. Or a more secure option is a hitch safe. Many runners use them, which is how I learned about them. It's basically turns the hitch tube into a mini safe to lock you truck key into. You can get combination versions or keyed versions. The keyed version is obviously much smaller than a fob and won't be damaged by water. Just another option, but Guardian is nice for that. Ford's number pad is great for it though.

Anyway, slight detour. Back on track, I'll try to remember to test the search feature of the Nav. and let everyone know if it worked for POI's.

Users who are viewing this thread