5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Navigation usage

Rebel_driver

Reaction score
Is there a way to input an address into the navigation while the wheels are in motion? (Offline of course since online has never worked for me since I’ve owned the truck!)

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Sure, use google maps and apple car play (or andriod auto). ;)

The stock navigation system won't allow you to input an address while you are moving. I haven't heard of any way to get around that.

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score

The stock navigation system won't allow you to input an address while you are moving. I haven't heard of any way to get around that.
Or Waze

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Try voice command through Carplay. The other day I kind of did it while driving on accident. The actual command was to call my wife, but Siri kept pulling up Navigation asking me for a POI (Point Of Interest)

UnclJim

Reaction score
Anyone have an issue where you can’t input destination while standing still and nav saying you can’t input while moving?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Is there a way to input an address into the navigation while the wheels are in motion? (Offline of course since online has never worked for me since I’ve owned the truck!)

Get a TazerDT and enable nav in motion and you can. But factory nav sucks comoared to Google maps with carplay or Android Auto

n8zcc

Reaction score
Get a TazerDT and enable nav in motion and you can. But factory nav sucks comoared to Google maps with carplay or Android Auto
Yesterday I had a route set up on the nav with several stops. I went using Google maps and returned using Waze. Both did well but Waze not only tells you about police traps but it seems the traffic information was more up to date. I do understand that data out is only as good as the data in. The factory navigation is OK, I like the turn info in the HUD but the visual aesthetics of the map display reminds me of a 1970s Pong video game.

I can enter navigation destinations by voice while in motion using all three maps. Only the factory map provides turn information on the HUD and the DIC. Google maps had voice notifications but Waze (setting?) was silent albeit both Waze and Google maps had sizeable splash screens on the 12 inch with the upcoming turns.

I'm running Android auto. I'll look into the Tazer. Can't understand why you are locked out when the vehicle knows there is a passenger in the seat. Traveling on the freeways, the raised cabin noise seems to make voice commands more difficult and being able to, for example, add a POI on a route by keypad is a big plus.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yesterday I had a route set up on the nav with several stops. I went using Google maps and returned using Waze. Both did well but Waze not only tells you about police traps but it seems the traffic information was more up to date. I do understand that data out is only as good as the data in. The factory navigation is OK, I like the turn info in the HUD but the visual aesthetics of the map display reminds me of a 1970s Pong video game.

I can enter navigation destinations by voice while in motion using all three maps. Only the factory map provides turn information on the HUD and the DIC. Google maps had voice notifications but Waze (setting?) was silent albeit both Waze and Google maps had sizeable splash screens on the 12 inch with the upcoming turns.

I'm running Android auto. I'll look into the Tazer. Can't understand why you are locked out when the vehicle knows there is a passenger in the seat. Traveling on the freeways, the raised cabin noise seems to make voice commands more difficult and being able to, for example, add a POI on a route by keypad is a big plus.
Last couple times I used Waze, my location was off by about 1/4 mile, making the turn notifications wrong, and on freeway, would show me on parallel side streets and trying to navigate me back into freeway that I was already on. Switched back to Google maps. Which can also display speed traps and traffic info if users input the information

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My wife uses the apple maps on her iPhone, and that sucks because it doesn't give you a lot o warning for upcoming turns. Been a few times I missed the turn because it didn't notify me until I was 100' from turn and I couldn't get over into the long turn lane be sure it was already full of traffic, and even missed a freeway exit for same reason

aussie_ram

Reaction score
You can either use the voice command (press the voice control button on steering wheel, they say "drive to *destination*). Seems to work pretty well, you just have to say the whole address including town. The other option is to find the destination on Google Maps on your phone, then share the destination to the Ram app. This is more efficient when you aren't in your truck, ie your heading out shortly and want to send the destination in advance to your truck. When you get in, the nav will say "new destination received". I guess you can do this while moving if you have a passenger who can look it up.

Still, the voice function works really well for me.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You can either use the voice command (press the voice control button on steering wheel, they say "drive to *destination*). Seems to work pretty well, you just have to say the whole address including town. The other option is to find the destination on Google Maps on your phone, then share the destination to the Ram app. This is more efficient when you aren't in your truck, ie your heading out shortly and want to send the destination in advance to your truck. When you get in, the nav will say "new destination received". I guess you can do this while moving if you have a passenger who can look it up.

Still, the voice function works really well for me.
From what I'm seeing neither of those options will work if you don't renew the Uconnect services subscription at the end of the trial period, which is about $20/mo. More than most people want to pay for what little options it gives

aussie_ram

Reaction score
From what I'm seeing neither of those options will work if you don't renew the Uconnect services subscription at the end of the trial period, which is about $20/mo. More than most people want to pay for what little options it gives

Absolutely not, would be worth about $10 a month max. Can't stand this new generation of subscription ********!

UnclJim

Reaction score
I can get turn by turn thru google maps to center cluster but no map in center stack

Users who are viewing this thread