5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Navigation update?

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
I bought my new 21 BTS back at the end of June early July of 21 and I just received this email today. It just says it's a navigation update so is it safe to say that this is not the paid uconnect subscription after the free trial expires? I dont plan on renewing after the free trial expires Has anyone done this update? Screenshot_20220406-011830_Email.jpg

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Here is a thread on this:

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Here is a thread on this:
After having read 3 or 4 pages of that currently 7 page long thread I decided it wont be worth it to purchase the nav update because I dont want to deal with the bull$h!t of other stuff not working. Thanks for posting that thread

Jako

Reaction score
After having read 3 or 4 pages of that currently 7 page long thread I decided it wont be worth it to purchase the nav update because I dont want to deal with the bull$h!t of other stuff not working. Thanks for posting that thread
Sad when they are charging you for an "upgrade" and it turns into a headache. I carry my MC Garmin if I'm traveling and don't know the area/route. My nav 8.4 still throws me on local streets and I've had issues with putting in addresses also. Turned out to be an $800 bezel upgrade.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Sad when they are charging you for an "upgrade" and it turns into a headache. I carry my MC Garmin if I'm traveling and don't know the area/route. My nav 8.4 still throws me on local streets and I've had issues with putting in addresses also. Turned out to be an $800 bezel upgrade.
Yeah in other vehicles Ive always used my cellphone on my lap and google maps that's always been great. I've only used the uconnect gps twice in the 10 months I've owned this Ram and its had me drive past the place I'm looking for both times lol. I dont use android auto so I figured I'd inquire about the update but it doesnt make sense to me to pay for it and potentially have more problems than I want

Jako

Reaction score
Yeah in other vehicles Ive always used my cellphone on my lap and google maps that's always been great. I've only used the uconnect gps twice in the 10 months I've owned this Ram and its had me drive past the place I'm looking for both times lol. I dont use android auto so I figured I'd inquire about the update but it doesnt make sense to me to pay for it and potentially have more problems than I want
Man of my own heart "drive past the place I'm looking for both times lol". At least we can laugh for me it was after getting ticked off first. Sometimes it's the Serenity Prayer.

Attachments

• Serenity Prayer.pdf
    25.9 KB · Views: 2

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Man of my own heart "drive past the place I'm looking for both times lol". At least we can laugh for me it was after getting ticked off first. Sometimes it's the Serenity Prayer.
It was more of a wtf moment with a lil chuckle and head nodding that $60k trucks cant get these gps systems to be accurate.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I bought my new 21 BTS back at the end of June early July of 21 and I just received this email today. It just says it's a navigation update so is it safe to say that this is not the paid uconnect subscription after the free trial expires? I dont plan on renewing after the free trial expires Has anyone done this update?
I got the email too, but didn't bother with the update.
I use my navigation quite often and have had zero issues with it. I don't really see the point in updating the maps very often. If it was free like it has been on all my previous Rams, sure, but this is the first time I've been expected to pay for it. At the end of the day though, why bother? The roads haven't moved so the map still works. I guess maybe in a major metropolitan area you may have some new development or roadway reconfiguration, but I don't live/drive in metro areas so it doesn't matter. If I want to navigate from the Cuyahoga Valley National Park to the nearest Handles Ice Cream shop it will take me there. I'm not so inept that I can't figure out what to do if a traffic circle has been put in place of a 4 way intersection.

Long story short. There's no need to update the map after a year. Heck I bought lifetime maps for my dash mounted Garmin about 5-6 years ago. I use it in my work car nearly every day and I've only updated it 2-3 times. It still gets me around just fine, and so far the only discrepancy I've noticed between updates is stuff like a traffic circle or the addition of a turn lane. Certainly not something I'm going to pay to update in my truck.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Aside from you not using dark mode, what wrong with that? They're not going to draw your driveway.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just occurred to me that you may not have a long driveway. Are there supposed to be roads around you?

Users who are viewing this thread