5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Navigation Subscription

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

We also use location data to improve the quality of our products and services after we’ve made sure the information cannot be directly linked back to you. We use different techniques to protect your identity such as encryption and temporary random identifiers to prevent location details from being easily linked back to you or your device. Within 24 hours of shutting down your device or app, TomTom automatically and irreversibly erases data that we hold which could re-identify you or your device. We don’t know where you have been and can’t tell anyone else, even if we were forced to. We never link location data to your TomTom account or any other information that identifies you directly. We also don’t sell your location data. Our products are 100% ad-free.
Sure thing. Glad they have that warm fuzzy on their website to make you feel better about being tracked.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
The SiriusXM weather is a 5 year free subscription IIRC from when I bought my truck.
I already lost weather and traffic on my truck. I think it only lasted 6 months.
I also can't remote start my truck via the app after 6 months.
GM gives you a 5 year trial on remote start.

At this point after 6 months I don't really have any "connected services" except the lojack thing which gives me a 30% insurance discount.
I am going to try and disconnect my truck from the grid at some point soon. Just leave GPS signal coming into my radio unit. No reason for Ram to have my info and me get nothing for it.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I already lost weather and traffic on my truck. I think it only lasted 6 months.
I also can't remote start my truck via the app after 6 months.
GM gives you a 5 year trial on remote start.

At this point after 6 months I don't really have any "connected services" except the lojack thing which gives me a 30% insurance discount.
I am going to try and disconnect my truck from the grid at some point soon. Just leave GPS signal coming into my radio unit. No reason for Ram to have my info and me get nothing for it.
GM doesn't do 5 year remote start. My wife had a 2017 Traverse that she has lifetime remote start through the OnStar app. Her new 2020 Traverse she bought, right before I got my Ram, only came with 3-months SiriusXM and OnStar free.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
GM doesn't do 5 year remote start. My wife had a 2017 Traverse that she has lifetime remote start through the OnStar app. Her new 2020 Traverse she bought, right before I got my Ram, only came with 3-months SiriusXM and OnStar free.
My 2018 Silverado still has the 5 year trial for remote start.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yeah, that was 2018
Sounds like the selling dealership might not of setup the trial correctly.
Even the 2023s are getting a 3 year trial of ALL services not even just remote start

Subscription services in a vehicle are dumb no matter what, onstarr, ramconnect, doesn't matter.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like the selling dealership might not of setup the trial correctly.
Even the 2023s are getting a 3 year trial of ALL services not even just remote start

Subscription services in a vehicle are dumb no matter what, onstarr, ramconnect, doesn't matter.
The dealership doesn't set it up. It's a manufacturer subscription the owner acrivistes after delivery

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
The dealership doesn't set it up. It's a manufacturer subscription the owner acrivistes after delivery
They must of messed something up or things were different in 2020 vs 2018
Mine was activated by the dealership.
After I did my paperwork they went into the truck with me and activated the truck and it's trial(s) with Onstar. After they spoke with Onstar and gave them info I gave them the rest of my info (but no payment details!).

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
They must of messed something up or things were different in 2020 vs 2018
Mine was activated by the dealership.
After I did my paperwork they went into the truck with me and activated the truck and it's trial(s) with Onstar. After they spoke with Onstar and gave them info I gave them the rest of my info (but no payment details!).
2020 was definitely different. Her 2017 was lifetime remote start. Was definitely only three months OnStar and SiriusXM subscriptions. The dealer has no control over the subscription period, unless you pay for the longer subscription at time of purchase.

rbusbee

Reaction score
I bought my '22 w/UConnect 5 NAV just over a year ago. Until I read this thread, I had no idea there was a NAV service I previously had that is now expired. I remember getting the notification/sales pitch, but I barely paid attention and thought it was just for the SOS/Guardian service.

So, I would say not worth the money.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I bought my '22 w/UConnect 5 NAV just over a year ago. Until I read this thread, I had no idea there was a NAV service I previously had that is now expired. I remember getting the notification/sales pitch, but I barely paid attention and thought it was just for the SOS/Guardian service.

So, I would say not worth the money.
i mean it looks nice and complete but i don't really care for it as carplay with google map works better imo.
I just need a nav that still works without cell signal for when I go out in the middle of nowhere

tdager

Reaction score
Sure thing. Glad they have that warm fuzzy on their website to make you feel better about being tracked.

I live in this world, data privacy, data governance and cyber security. Trust me, with the FCC, SEC, FTC, California Privacy law and many other states, one does not muck around with public statements that are not truthful around data usage. That is why so many are getting "privacy update" notices.

I would say that TomTom actually uses the location data in a fairly scrupulous manner, and then deletes it. Far different that GMaps, Waze, etc. or any other "free" consumer app (look at what TikTok does on a phone, it will make you shudder).

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I live in this world, data privacy, data governance and cyber security. Trust me, with the FCC, SEC, FTC, California Privacy law and many other states, one does not muck around with public statements that are not truthful around data usage. That is why so many are getting "privacy update" notices.

I would say that TomTom actually uses the location data in a fairly scrupulous manner, and then deletes it. Far different that GMaps, Waze, etc. or any other "free" consumer app (look at what TikTok does on a phone, it will make you shudder).
Yep and the difference with those apps\companies are they are also up front with the information they take and use. Can't lie about how you use and or sell the data the government(s) will catch up.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yep and the difference with those apps\companies are they are also up front with the information they take and use. Can't lie about how you use and or sell the data the government(s) will catch up.
Unless it's the government collecting the data

mannayr

Reaction score
They gave me 4 free months...unfortunately Traffic and Weather still never worked that whole time. Now that they think they solved the problem, they said they would give me some more free months.
So far haven’t gotten any credits. Interestingly enough, the features never worked from the first day I had the truck, about a month before the trials expire they finally got it fixed. Just in time to charge for the services, imagine that!

mannayr

Reaction score
So far haven’t gotten any credits. Interestingly enough, the features never worked from the first day I had the truck, about a month before the trials expire they finally got it fixed. Just in time to charge for the services, imagine that!
Actually it looks like there was a $25 credit, basically a month extension. Not a lot of compensation for all of the back and forth and runaround in getting it fixed and missing four months of the trial. I guess it is better than nothing.

reapur

Reaction score
strange, the send & go to maps never worked since I bought it in june/22.
my services expired dec/23 and I didn't renew.
Saturday I used the app and was able to send an address to the maps in the truck !
And traffic colors on the maps still works !
I don't know what's going on...

tgram

Reaction score
To me navigation subscription is totally worth it now that I have used it for a while. Works reliably, maps look great (accurate gas prices as well), and traffic updates are very accurate at least where I live (Tampa, FL). Much prefer this over google and apple offerings (especially hate google in general because of constant tracking/spying). Apple does not bother me as much as far as tracking is concerned but I find that the less I have to use carplay the more reliable uconnect works in general on my 2022 1500 Limited (simplest example is that when I put car in reverse my navigation destination does not get reset when I use built in navigation vs it gets reset every time when I use any phone navigation apps).

Users who are viewing this thread