5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Navigation Subscription

ranr0d

Reaction score
One thing to note... on the 2023 Ram, if using Android Auto or CarPlay for maps, those maps will NOT register on your 12" digital dash or HUD. Infact, when in navigation mode (with a destination set), the maps are disabled from the 12" digital dash until canceled or destination is reached. For that reason alone, I like to use TomTom when navigating to take advantage of all my screens.

I will add that in Miami, FL, TomTom traffic is 100% accurate, down to the tenth mile (0.1).

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
One thing to note... on the 2023 Ram, if using Android Auto or CarPlay for maps, those maps will NOT register on your 12" digital dash or HUD. Infact, when in navigation mode (with a destination set), the maps are disabled from the 12" digital dash until canceled or destination is reached. For that reason alone, I like to use TomTom when navigating to take advantage of all my screens.

I will add that in Miami, FL, TomTom traffic is 100% accurate, down to the tenth mile (0.1).
interesting.
i know if i use apple map with carplay, it will register on the dash for directions and distance (not the map itself, because non digital dash in 2022). i would think the same would happen on 23s with digital dash.

23RAM

Reaction score
I'm happy with the navigation and will be adding the subscription after the trial for the live data - maps are accurate and live traffic info is great for driving through big cities.

rodneyiii

Reaction score
I also got an email from RAM offering to extend my RAM Connect trial. However, it is not clear if the Tom Tom NAV system will shutdown if I do not opt into a subscription. All of my FCA vehicles prior to this had NAV that worked regardless and I could decide when/if the map needed updating. It seems a bit underhanded to put the NAV system in the vehicle and then imply it won't work unless I pay extra for it.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I also got an email from RAM offering to extend my RAM Connect trial. However, it is not clear if the Tom Tom NAV system will shutdown if I do not opt into a subscription. All of my FCA vehicles prior to this had NAV that worked regardless and I could decide when/if the map needed updating. It seems a bit underhanded to put the NAV system in the vehicle and then imply it won't work unless I pay extra for it.
Nav works without any subscriptions.
Updates for the Tom Tom nav are also 100% fee ad you can download them from https://stellantis.navshop.com/#/downloads

GM and some other manufactures do paywall the nav system with services such as on-star on lower level trims and only include true nav on high end trims, Ram as far as I know does not do that, at least for UC4 and UC5.

reapur

Reaction score
Is there any way to configure the Nav to not have a dark background? very difficult to see for me.

rodneyiii

Reaction score
Nav works without any subscriptions.
Updates for the Tom Tom nav are also 100% fee ad you can download them from https://stellantis.navshop.com/#/downloads

GM and some other manufactures do paywall the nav system with services such as on-star on lower level trims and only include true nav on high end trims, Ram as far as I know does not do that, at least for UC4 and UC5.
Thanks! Does the truck engine have to be running while the map updates or can the vehicle just be in the RUN mode? The update says it takes about an hour so I don't really want to let the engine idle that long.

rodneyiii

Reaction score
Is there any way to configure the Nav to not have a dark background? very difficult to see for me.
There is a light, dark, or Auto background option in the Settings menu, under "Display". Look for "Theme Mode" (not Theme).

Last edited:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Thanks! Does the truck engine have to be running while the map updates or can the vehicle just be in the RUN mode? The update says it takes about an hour so I don't really want to let the engine idle that long.
I think it can via run.

You can update it while you drive too (nav will not work while updating). So if you got somewhere to go you can start the update when you get into your truck.
Takes around 30-45 minutes

Yes, you can change it in the settings if you poke around. I THINK it might change the entire radios colors though not just nav.
I can probably take pictures if you can't find it.

rodneyiii

Reaction score
I think it can via run.

You can update it while you drive too (nav will not work while updating). So if you got somewhere to go you can start the update when you get into your truck.

Yes, you can change it in the settings if you poke around. I THINK it might change the entire radios colors though not just nav.
I can probably take pictures if you can't find it.
Thanks for the map update info. Yes, the Theme Mode changes the entire display from daytime (bright) to nighttime (dark) or AUTO based on the light sensor input.

rodneyiii

Reaction score
I think it can via run.

What is the difference between a USB update and the OTA update method? My map is 2022.03 and the latest is 2023.03 so I wonder why it hasn't automatically updated using OTA.

Users who are viewing this thread