5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NAV versus odometer miles

Jwsmith

Reaction score
Had some time to kill (fishing in the rain) and ventured into NAV settings, trip, and found total miles 19,316 when my odometer only shows 12,514. Truck was bought local, had a name on the sticker as a "build for". Wondering what this is all about, that's nearly a 7,000 mile difference. Any one else have that? I've never used the trip function and didn't reset it.m

DakotaRam

Reaction score
That’s why it’s not on new 5th gen Ram’s. It was discontinued on new system updates. There is another thread on it somewhere.

Jwsmith

Reaction score
Just had me wondering why there were nearly 7,000 miles difference between total trip (since bought) and the odometer. I would hate to think someone put that many miles on the truck (it was "build for" another person) and miles got rolled back to sell as new to me. Just makes me wonder.

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It is because once it is built and the battery is hooked up it starts reading, so even though it is not being driven the miles put on it by the train ride/transport to destination is being measured by the GPS.

19ramsport

Reaction score
Haha, I just checked mine. 4,500 miles on my truck. The NAV trip computer says over 28,000 miles with an Overall Average Speed of 101 mph!

parnine

Reaction score
unless these trucks have sophisticated GPS systems, which based on other computer systems/controls like the infotainment and AC software, the GPS in the NAV is probably adding up all the 30' readings and over time this makes a bunch of miles ....

GPS is never your exact posistion and is constantly changing (by about 30') - so one minute from the next you might have moved 60' or so. Over time all these ' movements while not actually moving ' add up ..... I don't have NAV, but would think somewhere in the NAV it should show the actual GPS location in lat/lon that is current When the truck is not moving is your lat/lon position changing? If so that is all your 'extra miles'.

Users who are viewing this thread