5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Native NAV vs CARPLAY

Creep0321

Reaction score
Curious if it is possible to use native navigation while an iPhone is plugged in? Essentially I want to use the trucks nav, and xm radio, but keep my phone plugged in to charge.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes. You can either, turn off carplay projection for your phone in the Uconnect settings, or, simply just go to the navigation screen on the truck side of things and set your destination. If it thinks CarPlay is already using nav, it will ask you if you want to cancel the CarPlay navigation and use the Uconnect one. For setting your audio source, simply go to the source menu and instead of USB, select XM radio.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
awesome thank you!
Also, I believe that the USB ports behind the console do not connect to the head unit and are charge only... we use it for the iPod and such for charging when we don't want it connected for music. If they're supposed to connect, I have an issue then! :oops:

Creep0321

Reaction score
So I like having my phone still project CarPlay, listen to podcasts and whatnot. And I was able to use the truck nav in full screen, but if I drive it to split screen it pulls up CarPlay NAV on top card every time.

macallien

Reaction score
Also, I believe that the USB ports behind the console do not connect to the head unit and are charge only... we use it for the iPod and such for charging when we don't want it connected for music. If they're supposed to connect, I have an issue then! :oops:
Port USB3 is also a connected port

Creep0321

Reaction score
Another CarPlay issue. When I click the CarPlay icon it momentarily goes to the split screen CarPlay setup, then reverts back to whatever screen I was on before. But the audio (podcasts will play) Ideas?

69Sting

Reaction score
creep0321, I am with you. Would like to have split screen show stock nav and radio info even when my phone is plugged in for carplay features. Maybe some future update will provide us a choice of what Nav to display.

laramiecigarettes

Reaction score
So I like having my phone still project CarPlay, listen to podcasts and whatnot. And I was able to use the truck nav in full screen, but if I drive it to split screen it pulls up CarPlay NAV on top card every time.
I really wish we could do carplay on top and uconnect nav on bottom. Doesn't seem like it's possible--yet some of the marketing photos make it look like it can be done. Is this a lie?

bmarcurella

Reaction score
creep0321, I am with you. Would like to have split screen show stock nav and radio info even when my phone is plugged in for carplay features. Maybe some future update will provide us a choice of what Nav to display.

A lot of that should change when IOS 13 comes out as it has added some new features around Carplay.
-New Dashboard
-Updated Maps (Thank god)
-New settings ap
-New Calendar App (Access your calendar from the screen)
-Siri does navigation and 3rd party support.

69Sting

Reaction score
A lot of that should change when IOS 13 comes out as it has added some new features around Carplay.
-New Dashboard
-Updated Maps (Thank god)
-New settings ap
-New Calendar App (Access your calendar from the screen)
-Siri does navigation and 3rd party support.

bmarcurella,
Great article you shared. Excited to see how FCA updates the 12inch screen with IOS13 Carplay updates. Some cool tech features could be in our future.

69Sting

bmarcurella

Reaction score
bmarcurella,
Great article you shared. Excited to see how FCA updates the 12inch screen with IOS13 Carplay updates. Some cool tech features could be in our future.

69Sting

No problem! Now if I could get my truck's Uconnect system to function it would be even better. My NAV thinks I am building a wall in the NORTH! Not even close.

Users who are viewing this thread