5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nasty Stank

Klute

Reaction score
First halfway cold morning @ 39 degrees. Turned on the heater for the drive to work and it smelled nasty, had to roll down the windows.

Is this normal, like the first time you run your furnace each year?

TIA

RJS

Reaction score
I would say No, it's not normal. I started using my heat in a 19 Laramie a couple of days back with no odors at all. I'd check the filter to see if anything got in or moldy to start making smells. Then also check to see if there is any accumulation of stuff in the air intake in the cowl. Somethings got to be somewhere causing this issue.

TheMadDutchDude

Reaction score
Mine had a smell to it... it’s normal. I believe it could be something to do with bacteria, but it’s nothing abnormal. A few hot cycles kills it off and you’re good to go.

All cars that my parents have ever owned did it for the first few times in winter, then it stops.

Klute

Reaction score
Mine had a smell to it... it’s normal. I believe it could be something to do with bacteria, but it’s nothing abnormal. A few hot cycles kills it off and you’re good to go.

All cars that my parents have ever owned did it for the first few times in winter, then it stops.

I'll probably still check the filter and cowl as RJS suggested, but probably run the heater on high with the windows open to 'burn off' whatever is there.

TheMadDutchDude

Reaction score
It all depends where you’re based. If you have lots of humidity, it’ll encourage growth. If you’re in dry heat, not so much. It’s normal and nothing to worry about.

Users who are viewing this thread