5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N95 Filtration Coming for 2022

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
"Perhaps spurred on by the current global pandemic, Stellantis has also confirmed that the 2022 Ram 1500 will now come as standard with a new air filtration system. This upgraded cabin air system will now feature N95 bio filters, which is clearly a massive improvement."

Excerpt taken from musclecarsandtrucks.com article

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Heck, I'd settle for just an activated charcoal filter being available for them. The amount of stink these trucks pull in is incredible.

How often would you have to change that filter? Every 10k. Lol

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Snofire

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sounds like a waste of time. Get a carbon filter as that will help more than a N95. Cabin filter isnt' really any different than a mask you put on your face for certain projects, they are designed for certain things. Plus like @TTU14 stated, your probably going to be changing this more than normal. Depending on driving conditions you are in depends on how often you change your filter but do some searching for different cabin filter. I know my Jeep GC gets the musty smell every now and then so it isn't just the RAM that gets that.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What I'm wondering is, will this be a total redesign of the cabin air filter housing? Or will it simply be a filter media change?

Seems to me they'd have to redesign the entire thing to stop the air leaks that surely get past the current filters. But, if they don't then that means a guy could swap the N95 filter into a 2019-2021 truck, or swap a standard filter into a 2022 truck.

Drewster

Reaction score
What I'm wondering is, will this be a total redesign of the cabin air filter housing? Or will it simply be a filter media change?

Seems to me they'd have to redesign the entire thing to stop the air leaks that surely get past the current filters. But, if they don't then that means a guy could swap the N95 filter into a 2019-2021 truck, or swap a standard filter into a 2022 truck.
They likely need to increase the housing size to keep the service interval. The Tesla HEPA filters are absolutely massive
tesla-model-y-hepa-filter.jpeg

For such a mass market vehicle like the Ram, I don't think anyone needs to be concerned about filter costs - there will be plenty of Chinese/ Walmart options that aren't actually N95.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I get the reason for cabin air filters, even HEPA level filtration for allergens. I'm just wondering why they feel the need to increase that to N95 level filtration. It's not like the trucks are hermetically sealed. Are they planning to eliminate the windows and sunroof from opening while you're driving? Next we'll have to drive around in bio-suits. I just hope the vehicle's owner can decide to use a "normal" filter if they don't feel the need for N95.

TravisJ

Reaction score
I am guessing it is purely for marketing purposes. The common idiot doesn't know technical filter terms...but N95? Everyone knows that and everyone knows it is the best thing since sliced bread these days.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

I'm thinking just a filter change

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to the 48v blower motor upgrade to overcome the static pressure drop.

BowDown

Reaction score

Runagun

Reaction score
Seems like it's just going to be a filter upgrade. I'm already see the fram filters claiming n95 filter abilities @ wally world.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score

Richard320

Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
I am guessing it is purely for marketing purposes. The common idiot doesn't know technical filter terms...but N95? Everyone knows that and everyone knows it is the best thing since sliced bread these days.
Bingo! We have a winner!

It reminds me of several years ago when I was wrenching at a Toyota dealer. Priuses have a second blower motor that pulls cabin air and blows it across the battery pack which then exhausts behind the rear bumper. They added a solar panel to cool the interior while parked. I asked at the new model rollout if it powered up the battery blower. Nope. Strictly the cabin. Why? Because "solar" appeals to the green crowd who buy Priuses. It would be really useful to actually cool down the hybrid battery when parked in the sun, but technical stuff doesn't sell cars.

I'm just surprised it's on the trucks. Or is it across-the-board? Except for the pleats, the cabin filter material feels a lot like those molded N95 masks. Maybe it's always been N95 but they didn't bother getting it certified until now? Then they could sell cars to those people you see driving alone, wearing a mask.

Ram-583

Reaction score
Does anyone have the Mopar part # for the new Hepa filter?

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I get the reason for cabin air filters, even HEPA level filtration for allergens. I'm just wondering why they feel the need to increase that to N95 level filtration. It's not like the trucks are hermetically sealed. Are they planning to eliminate the windows and sunroof from opening while you're driving? Next we'll have to drive around in bio-suits. I just hope the vehicle's owner can decide to use a "normal" filter if they don't feel the need for N95.
Probably, kind of sad you see very few people with their windows open these days on their house or car even when it's a beautiful 70-degree day.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Probably, kind of sad you see very few people with their windows open these days on their house or car even when it's a beautiful 70-degree day.
Not if you live where it's incredibly dusty. I'll drive with the windows down and sunroof open (in town) during the spring time, but once it gets to mid June things dry up too much until the end of October. I don't like having to dust my interior on a daily basis LOL. Just one of the downsides to living in farm country.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/