5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N-Fab Steps installed

mch

Reaction score
Installed the N-Fab HPD1980CC-TX on my 19 Rebel. It was a simple bolt on, but getting the paint / coating off the mounting studs were a real pain. I started out with a hand brush, then a dremel with brass wheel, then a steel wheel, then a 90 degree air die grinder with a steel wire wheel (quick work with that). Would have been a lot easier with a lift, or even jacked up on jack stands, but I have a sloped driveway and the garage is full. Pretty solid product, but you lose some ground clearance, but I'm okay with that for my needs. On a side note, the box they came in where really beat up, and the bag with the nuts fell out of the box. Luckily the UPS guy said he found some hardware in the tuck, and wanted me to see if they went with the product (they did). He recorded the damaged box, in the event the bars were dented scraped, etc. Everything was bubble or foam wrapped, and that did the job.

IMG_20190306_142758.jpg IMG_20190306_142742.jpg
IMG_20190305_163902.jpg

mch

Reaction score
Nice. How/where do they attach? Frame? Body mounts?

The steps/running boards are one piece each side. The mounting points on the running boards have a plate with 3 holes.. really like 2 holes and the top is more like an open slot. On the inside panel under the truck is 3 sets of threaded studs, so 9 each side. I mounted it by myself, with just my hands. Once you slip the holes over the stud, it's easy to hold while you get the nuts on. It comes with nylon lined nuts that don't spin easily. I'd recommend you get at least one 8mm nut from home deport or something, just to make sure the nut can go on easily / you removed all the paint / coating. The stuff is really gummed up between the threads.

ibang1

Reaction score
You've got good taste. I've got the exact same steps and very well made and the price was right too.

machz

Reaction score
They look great. Next time use a die to get the paint off it's a piece of cake.

mch

Reaction score
They look great. Next time use a die to get the paint off it's a piece of cake.

I did one with a die, but the handles on it were too long to spin in a complete 360 on the others (For the back mount point). Good thing too because I grabbed a 8mm die with the wrong pitch. The nut with inner nylon wasn't going on correctly, so I found another 8mm lock nut in my garage that went on without much hassle and I got it torqued to 30ft lbs. The 90 degree die grinder and brush made pretty quick work of it and didn't mess up any threads. If I had to do it again, I'd just use the air tool even if I found a die holder tool with short handles.. but I'm guessing a big socket would work on a die as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/