5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My way of mounting a light bar

Bob.

Reaction score
There are different mounts and different ways of going about where or how to mount a light bar, but
this is just a post to show my method of installing a light bar on my truck.

I did the smittybilt license plate mount option.

https://www.americantrucks.com/smittybilt-light-mount-for-license-plate-0218-ram-1500.html

Since the holes were already on the bumper, I just drilled out the plastic license plate frame a little bigger and used 2 5/16" stainless screws and nuts to secure it to the bumper. I used an auxbeam 20" light bar with the side LED's to light up the sides of the road. I went with this light because of the way it will adapt to the bracket. I also used their wiring harness for ease of installation.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WR39GS8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So for under $120 and under an hour from start to finish, you have an easy way of using a very solid mounting option for your truck. The light shoots out over 100 yrds and it does a nice job of eliminating deer strikes on back roads. No drilling on the dash as it uses a sticky backing on the switch. Cheers!

RAM RH SIDE.jpg

Fcso227

Reaction score
There are different mounts and different ways of going about where or how to mount a light bar, but
this is just a post to show my method of installing a light bar on my truck.

I did the smittybilt license plate mount option.

https://www.americantrucks.com/smittybilt-light-mount-for-license-plate-0218-ram-1500.html

Since the holes were already on the bumper, I just drilled out the plastic license plate frame a little bigger and used 2 5/16" stainless screws and nuts to secure it to the bumper. I used an auxbeam 20" light bar with the side LED's to light up the sides of the road. I went with this light because of the way it will adapt to the bracket. I also used their wiring harness for ease of installation.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WR39GS8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So for under $120 and under an hour from start to finish, you have an easy way of using a very solid mounting option for your truck. The light shoots out over 100 yrds and it does a nice job of eliminating deer strikes on back roads. No drilling on the dash as it uses a sticky backing on the switch. Cheers!

View attachment 115145
That looks awesome. I like this idea. I wonder though, could you rotate the bracket so that the bracket faces the other direction and then the light recesses inside the bumper, closer to the black panel?
Also, can you take a side photo of that setup?

Bob.

Reaction score
That looks awesome. I like this idea. I wonder though, could you rotate the bracket so that the bracket faces the other direction and then the light recesses inside the bumper, closer to the black panel?
Also, can you take a side photo of that setup?
Yes it's a 90 degree bracket so if your light will fit that way you can mount the light further back. My light bar is touching the black grill inserts so I couldn't mount it any further back if I wanted too. My light hangs over the top of the plate maybe 1 1/2" or so. It's like a little trim piece for the license plate.. I did drill a hole behind the light bar to pass the wire thru the plastic grill insert. Maybe a 3/8" hole. The wire don't even show.
The bracket can be used for back up lights too for guys who want reverse lights. So It's a cool design who thought of it.

Bob.

Reaction score
It's protected and you can get to it to wash it or re align it, so that's a good spot.

UnclJim

Reaction score
if someone wanted they could flip the mount to under the plate with a little shaping of nylon spacers.

Bob.

Reaction score
if someone wanted they could flip the mount to under the plate with a little shaping of nylon spacersThere would be no fear of someone walking into it in a parking lot if it was under the plate.

Bob.

Reaction score
There would be no fear of someone walking into it in a parking lot if it was under the plate. Would be a good place for fog lights, extra low.

sppb32

Reaction score
Any chance you have pics of how it is mounted? That looks

Any chance you have pics of how that's mounted? That looks nicely recessed.
I had to curt the plastic off that's what took long to cut it right, to mount i used the hardware that came with the light bar, you can see the 2 stainless steel bolts one on each side, the light bar is also curved and it matches the curve of the bumper perfectly. it's been working great for over a year now

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have to admit that this is great! Thanks for sharing.
I used the same mount for mine too. Mine's a Vision-X one but they are all the same.

Post # 26

Bob.

Reaction score
Years ago I used push bars with light tabs or dedicated light bars where you had to spend hours mounting them to the front of the truck or Jeep now they make a simple bracket off the license plate. Cheap, effective and quick way to mount lights up front (or behind now).
Would you mind taking a night shot from the drivers seat one of these nights?
Here you go hot off the press. It snowed the other day....
lightbar.jpg

Fcso227

Reaction score
Years ago I used push bars with light tabs or dedicated light bars where you had to spend hours mounting them to the front of the truck or Jeep now they make a simple bracket off the license plate. Cheap, effective and quick way to mount lights up front (or behind now).

Here you go hot off the press. It snowed the other day....
View attachment 116628
And that's JUST the lightbar??!

Users who are viewing this thread