5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My turn to complain about the dreaded rear window leak (2020)

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What gasket did you use if you don't mind me asking?
I used the M-D gasket that I linked in post #14. Many have gotten it from Lowes/Home Depot. As long as it the same dimensions.

The hardest part was getting the old gasket off. It's foamy so chunks off rather than peels off. It took a while to get the gasket and all the residue off so that there was a clean surface to put the gasket on.

Putting the new gasket on is the easy part. I just made sure that the split was on the bottom and under one of the bulb housings to minimize any chance of water intrusion. The gasket is not going to want to stick very well in the bends when you first do this so make sure you press them down so they don't move when you put the CHSML back in. After that I snugged the screws down and did not overtighten. I then put a dab of clear silicone RTV over each screw head just for a little overkill. ;)

My thoughts for using the Flex Tape is because I am about to put a new Leer topper/canopy on my truck and the flex tape won't be showing nor will I need access to that area...and I want to ensure I've got the 3rd brake like well protected from leaking. Then again, if I suffer the sliding rear window fate then it's a whole new headache.

If I could, I'd simply remove the 3rd brake like and seal the hole up permanently but then that introduces a whole new set of headaches...
I get it now. (y)

Zig10

Reaction score
The butyl tape will work well, but you need to re-tighten the lens after a couple of days to get it to fully seat. I use butyl tape to seal all of my above-water-line components on my boat and it works like a charm.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buz

Thefamman

Reaction score
Does anyone have concerns of electronics failing due to moisture penetrating ever square inch of the inside cabin ? I had a major leak where the seats were so wet the dripped water and the storage underneath was puddled. I live in Florida so with that humidity this summer it was a sauna inside. My widows were literally dripping in the days after until I was able to get it dried up. Now I and finding rusted hardware so I am sure electronics will be effected at some point.

Attachments

• 06A53980-D05D-430D-95CD-D516BADAAD23.jpeg
    06A53980-D05D-430D-95CD-D516BADAAD23.jpeg
    193.5 KB · Views: 39
  • 26A6B776-9C50-4644-A57B-D20291E922D5.jpeg
    26A6B776-9C50-4644-A57B-D20291E922D5.jpeg
    182.4 KB · Views: 41

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My thoughts for using the Flex Tape is because I am about to put a new Leer topper/canopy on my truck and the flex tape won't be showing nor will I need access to that area...and I want to ensure I've got the 3rd brake like well protected from leaking. Then again, if I suffer the sliding rear window fate then it's a whole new headache.

If I could, I'd simply remove the 3rd brake like and seal the hole up permanently but then that introduces a whole new set of headaches...
FYI...I used the Flex Tape and time will tell how it works.

Users who are viewing this thread