5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My truck going in 4th time for leaking window ? 3rd brake light ? antenna ? what else is there ?

yellowboy

Reaction score
Monday my truck goes in for the fourth time for water running down the inside corner of the rear window. The window has been replaced, as well the the third brake light. The antenna was resealed the last time I was in. I have a cap on the back so I told dealer do what you have to do but I am not taking the cap off again. (It is a 4 man job plus resealing -it was off the truck 4 months as I did not want to replace it until I was sure they got it). :rolleyes: Stay tuned.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The only thing left are the roof seams, it's not common but it has happened. What a nightmare, good luck

Camelot

Reaction score
Fourth times for the same issue is covered by Lemon Laws in some states. I would check that and if it was my truck they would have to buy it back.

wvinson

Reaction score
before they replaced my third brake light seal which fixed mine, my service manager said it could be the sunroof drain hose that is clamped together in that area.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
before they replaced my third brake light seal which fixed mine, my service manager said it could be the sunroof drain hose that is clamped together in that area.
I had water get in the cab of my JGC cause of a jammed up sunroof drain hose, but it went to the front passenger side, not the rear. Do the Ram dual panes have rear drain hoses?

yellowboy

Reaction score
Thanks but I don't have sunroof because I was afraid of getting leaks ! :rolleyes:

yellowboy

Reaction score
I am staying on top of it. I check it after every rain because my warranty is up in June. Does the warranty extend beyond 3 years if the problem continues ?

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
but you got to know exactly where to spray it.:):):)
Get a couple cans and do the whole cab!

Yea, there are a lot of threads on leaks at the back of the cab. It really sucks. I hope @yellowboy gets it figured out. There really seems to be just those couple spots but dealerships don't always have your best intrests at heart.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am staying on top of it. I check it after every rain because my warranty is up in June. Does the warranty extend beyond 3 years if the problem continues ?
File a notice of defect before it runs out to be safe, but yes as long as you have the documentation that it has been happeneing and still isn't fixed you can lemon law past the warranty expiration.

AV8OR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Flex Seal might solve the problem but now have you created a water dam and not allow the water to drain?

Sure it solves the problem of the cab being wet inside but now you might be dealing with rust issues years down the road and the truck is out of warranty.

If you are the type who trades for a new truck every five years then some other poor guy has to deal with the rust.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just because they replaced all these items does not mean one of them was done incorrectly causing a leak. I know even the third brake light, if not torqued down exactly right and the paint on the cab cleaned with denatured alchohol where the gasget meets it will leak.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Flex Seal might solve the problem but now have you created a water dam and not allow the water to drain?

Sure it solves the problem of the cab being wet inside but now you might be dealing with rust issues years down the road and the truck is out of warranty.

If you are the type who trades for a new truck every five years then some other poor guy has to deal with the rust.
Just coat the entire outside and you don't have any water to get out!

Yea, I hope no one would actually take the Flex Seal idea seriously. I mean just watching the commercials makes me queasy.
Just because they replaced all these items does not mean one of them was done incorrectly causing a leak. I know even the third brake light, if not torqued down exactly right and the paint on the cab cleaned with denatured alchohol where the gasget meets it will leak.
100% right! They are not pulling the best tech in the shop off the engine rebuild to replace a gasket at your light. That job falls to the guy pulling cars through the carwash. He might not understand why he is even replacing it.

You might want to grab a few supplies to include alcohol wipes and a little tube of silicone and take a look at it yourself.

yellowboy

Reaction score
Frankly if it did not leak for 4 months, (and I checked it after every storm, some heavy) means that one of the repairs they made must have fixed the problem - for a while. So at this point I hope it doesn't get fixed so I can do what needs to be done to get a new truck.

yellowboy

Reaction score
Got it back last week after they had it 4 days, it rained yesterday and is still leaking. A ll of the above were resealed. I realized that even though I have been in 6 times for it to be looked at and repaired there was actually only 3 repair attempts so I need one one more before I call it a piece of fruit !

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Got it back last week after they had it 4 days, it rained yesterday and is still leaking. A ll of the above were resealed. I realized that even though I have been in 6 times for it to be looked at and repaired there was actually only 3 repair attempts so I need one one more before I call it a piece of fruit !
as soon as a repair is made, if it is in 2 more times for the same issue or at the dealer for more then a combined 30 days, that's lemon law. if you have had it in 4 times for a water leak, I would of started the lemon law procedure by now. Don't feel bad though, my truck is a 21 with 1300 miles, already leaking at the right rear corner of the glass. haven't taken it in yet, but pisses me off that I left one leaking truck to get into another.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No in varies by state NC at least 4 times for a repair
according to what you said, 4 repairs have already been done. you said rear window was replaced, third brake light replaced, antenna resealed and this last visit some type of reseal. that is 4 repairs right there. I would start getting the process started for lemon law.

Users who are viewing this thread