5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My truck ate a mud flap (and more)

Johnny_H

Reaction score
I had what I believe is a extremely unfortunate freak accident, wondering if this has happened to anyone else. My friend was backing my truck into his garage, had to clear a 5-6 inch concrete lip and it appears the mud flap got caught between the concrete and the tire and ripped it off. It also took the fender liner and indented the fender. I have great insurance and all is easily covered and fixed with minimal disturbance to my life as the truck is driveable until it has to go to the shop....but what the f? Is this a design flaw or just incredibly bad luck

71b564749cc5e3b6638b34b8ed72fd44.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I had what I believe is a extremely unfortunate freak accident, wondering if this has happened to anyone else. My friend was backing my truck into his garage, had to clear a 5-6 inch concrete lip and it appears the mud flap got caught between the concrete and the tire and ripped it off. It also took the fender liner and indented the fender. I have great insurance and all is easily covered and fixed with minimal disturbance to my life as the truck is driveable until it has to go to the shop....but what the f? Is this a design flaw or just incredibly bad luck

71b564749cc5e3b6638b34b8ed72fd44.jpg

Looks like a long mudflap flaw. Was the truck in aero or entry exit while backing?

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
One reason I don't like mud flaps, if you drive off a curb and catch the mud flap can do a lot of damage if you bend the fender.

Johnny_H

Reaction score
Thanks guys. It was in normal height. Should I have the mud flaps repositioned when it’s in the shop? Is this even an option? I expect the repair bill to be well over $3-5k. That’s a lot of damage!

FirstTimeRamDriver

Reaction score
Happened to me on the driver rear when I ignored all my sensors and kept backing up to climb over a rock, but it took out only the mud flap not anything else which was easily fixed.

5thGenLoco

Reaction score
Thanks guys. It was in normal height. Should I have the mud flaps repositioned when it’s in the shop? Is this even an option? I expect the repair bill to be well over $3-5k. That’s a lot of damage!

Ouch. Someone had a thread here where they trimmed the front flaps a few inches. You could try that. There really is no way to move the flap higher. Or ditch them altogether.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yea since I live on a tar and chip road and have a gravel driveway I have ordered flaps. I am aware of the problem backing up with them. Tearing them off is a common problem if you have ever driven a dump truck....

I saw mounting hardware that utilizeda big washer with the fastener. I thought I would forgo that setup. I would rather the flap pull off than rip everything apart. I will check how low the Rokblokz XL hang and may trim them a bit.

JbVt

Reaction score
That’s why I searched around for rubber mud flaps not the molded ones. Rubber will bend/flip, molded ones just rip everything to hell.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
The issue is that if you are backing up, and roll up against a curb high enough to pinch the mud flap between the tire and the curb, you risk ripping the mud flap off. Doesn't matter if it's rubber or plastic. The more securely it's attached the more damage that can occur. Ask anyone who has done that with Rally Armor mud flaps on their WRX or Evo LOL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online