5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Thoughts After a Week

RockJock

Reaction score
I picked up my Ram on January 21st. I have 400 miles on it. Here are my thoughts so far.

I like Uconnect 5, but I've experienced some glitches. The heated seats and steering wheel controls disappear from the upper status bar. Sometimes when changing a setting it won't take and I have to try it a few times.

It has some trouble playing music from a USB source. It worked the 1st day then I started having issues. All that comes up on the screen is "reading" when I try to play USB.

The rear half of the passenger side RamBox leaked water in a drive through car wash. I suspect it's because the side of the rear half of the RamBox lid is about 3/16" over flush compared to the truck bed side. It probably isn't putting enough pressure on the weather strip to seal fully. It wasn't like that when I got the truck because RamBox alignment was the 1st thing I checked. I'm going to see what I can adjust to fix it. Maybe a hinge is loose. Even so I LOVE the RamBox. I wouldn't want a truck without them now.

The upper and lower steering wheel materials are very nice but I don't like the seam where they meet. It's very pronounced and immediately on either side stays cold with the heated steering wheel on. To be comfortable I have to keep my hands away from that seam.

The low beam range is terrible. I bet it only shines 20' in front of the truck. I can see 2 separate cut off lines with a shaded area between them. Like this: Truck>good light (20')>cut off line>shaded area (10')>cut off line. I need to investigate and maybe aim them up some. The high beams are good. There's a little bit of a hot spot on the road but it's not too bad. Auto high/low beam switches to low a lot sooner than I'd like.

Is there a way to keep the ambient lighting on after turning off the engine until the door is open? Or to have the overhead lights come on? When I turn off the engine all that stays lit is the 12" screen and the instrument cluster. My old truck turned the interior lights on after pulling the key out of the ignition.

Fuel economy hasn't been good. I blame most of it on idling to warm it up. I can't fairly judge it until I stop using remote start.

The cab seems loud at 70 mph. Louder than I was expecting.

I don't know WHY they have the steering wheel button only cycle forward through preset stations and the rocker tunes stations forward and back. Man I wish they would switch the function of those 2 controls. I get cycling through presets on auto pilot and suddenly I pass by something I want to listen to.

Anyway this truck is pretty sweet. A few software bugs, a couple minor mechanical issues, and maybe 2 things I don't like about it. It was worth the wait and there isn't another vehicle I'd rather have.

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I picked up my Ram on January 21st. I have 400 miles on it. Here are my thoughts so far.

I like Uconnect 5, but I've experienced some glitches. The heated seats and steering wheel controls disappear from the upper status bar. Sometimes when changing a setting it won't take and I have to try it a few times.

It has some trouble playing music from a USB source. It worked the 1st day then I started having issues. All that comes up on the screen is "reading" when I try to play USB.

The rear half of the passenger side RamBox leaked water in a drive through car wash. I suspect it's because the side of the rear half of the RamBox lid is about 3/16" over flush compared to the truck bed side. It probably isn't putting enough pressure on the weather strip to seal fully. It wasn't like that when I got the truck because RamBox alignment was the 1st thing I checked. I'm going to see what I can adjust to fix it. Maybe a hinge is loose. Even so I LOVE the RamBox. I wouldn't want a truck without them now.

The upper and lower steering wheel materials are very nice but I don't like the seam where they meet. It's very pronounced and immediately on either side stays cold with the heated steering wheel on. To be comfortable I have to keep my hands away from that seam.

The low beam range is terrible. I bet it only shines 20' in front of the truck. I can see 2 separate cut off lines with a shaded area between them. Like this: Truck>good light (20')>cut off line>shaded area (10')>cut off line. I need to investigate and maybe aim them up some. The high beams are good. There's a little bit of a hot spot on the road but it's not too bad. Auto high/low beam switches to low a lot sooner than I'd like.

Is there a way to keep the ambient lighting on after turning off the engine until the door is open? Or to have the overhead lights come on? When I turn off the engine all that stays lit is the 12" screen and the instrument cluster. My old truck turned the interior lights on after pulling the key out of the ignition.

Fuel economy hasn't been good. I blame most of it on idling to warm it up. I can't fairly judge it until I stop using remote start.

I don't know WHY they have the steering wheel button only cycle forward through preset stations and the rocker tunes stations forward and back. Man I wish they would switch the function of those 2 controls. I get cycling through presets on auto pilot and suddenly I pass by something I want to listen to.

Anyway this truck is pretty sweet. A few software bugs, a couple minor mechanical issues, and maybe 2 things I don't like about it. It was worth the wait and there isn't another vehicle I'd rather have.

Fuel numbers will improve with time. Also, we’re using winter blends at the pump and that usually knocks a few mpg off the efficiency

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The cab noise at 70 could be the rear cab vents, try switching between recirculate and outside air and see if the noise changes

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Thanks for the write up . I think you might have a problem with your headlights as you're the only person I've read about to have a problem with them . The Limited and Longhorn were the only ones to earn the top safety pick due to their headlights .

x50

Reaction score
I have the LED reflector headlights on my Laramie. They are super bright and light up the road very well. I never drove a Limited with the LED projector headlight so I cannot make a comparison.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have the LED reflector headlights on my Laramie. They are super bright and light up the road very well. I never drove a Limited with the LED projector headlight so I cannot make a comparison.
The adaptive LEDs on the Limited/Longhorn trims have been called “the best ever offered on a truck”. They’re excellent.

I agree with the OP, though, that the auto high beam sensor is too sensitive to be useful in urban areas. It works okay on a rural highway.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I've owned both types of LED headlights. The LED reflector headlights are a definite improvement over the halogen reflectors. But the LED projectors are so much better than the LED reflectors. This article is from 2019, but talks about the LED projector headlights as being part of the reason it received top safety pick.

I agree that it sounds like there's something wrong with your headlights. I'd have them checked out by a dealership.

Last edited:
Reactions: x50

RockJock

Reaction score
Good idea. I'm going to have the dealer check the headlights and adjust the RamBox lid. The other issues are software related and I doubt the dealer can fix those.

Android Auto appears to connect with the truck via wifi. So if I'm using wireless AA I can't connect my phone to the wifi hotspot in the truck because AA is already using wifi. Is that right or am I missing something?

The truck has SiriusXM Guardian and Uconnect Connected Services. I don't know what the difference is. I started reading both the manuals today. I got irritated at the manual and all the information. I said screw it. Try again later.

Lize

Reaction score
I’ve recently changed my 19 Rebel for a 22 TRX (Canadian model) and find the headlights useless. They should be better but seem about as good as my Rebel in daytime running setting and don’t change whatever I do with the switch.

I think the TRX has the same lights as your Limited. I’d appreciate any info on whether you had a fault with yours?

Users who are viewing this thread