5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My review on Nitto Ridge Grappler tires

Johny777

Reaction score
These tires are a pretty popular option so I thought this might come in handy to someone looking to purchase Nitto Ridge Grapplers.
Especially if others can add their experiences with these tires below.

First thing is I didn't purchase these tires brand new, they were used so I can't say much about thread wear. I put maybe 20,000km on them, highway and city.
I understand these are mud tires, but they're usually on trucks that never see any mud or dirt anyways.

The tires look awesome, the blocky thread pattern on these are very aggressive. I had 33x12.5 and they looked mean!

The road noise is bearable, I usually play my music loud anyways. But I've had passengers say that it sounds like we're about to take off when merging onto a highway.

Onto the more important stuff, these tires SUCK in the rain. I wouldn't say it's unsafe to drive in the rain on these tires, but the grip isn't that great.
When starting from a stop, you really can't accelerate too fast or else you'll lose traction. I've had times when I would take a left turn and I'd drift a bit.
Driving on a highway in the rain with these tires is even worse. I'm not sure if it's the tire design or the fact that its a 12.5" tire, but I experienced hydroplaning quite a bit.

The ride on these tires wasn't that great, the tire pattern is very blocky so in return you feel like you're driving a tractor at lower speeds.
But this was also bearable, but if you really appreciate a smooth ride these don't give you that.
I drove on them for all of summer, and just swapped to my winter set with Goodyear Wranglers and I can tell you the drive is 100% better.

I want to know other experiences with these tires, and what tire would you recommend that have an aggressive look yet let you keep your comfortability?
I'm thinking of the BFGoodrich ko2.

kittyjo

Reaction score
I have the same tire and in the sand the are really good when aired down to 25psi … when it rains I have the 4wd on auto and no problems. Snow does better when aired down to below 30psi depending on what ur comfortable with.. just my observations..

BowersFJ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looks ain’t everything …. Silly to have MT’s on a pavement princess …. They have horrible road manners …. Plenty of aggressive looking AT’s out there …. Even RT’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Otisporkchop

Reaction score
I have a 6” lift with 20x12 -44 offset. Lift and tires were done with 4000 miles on it, it now has 15,000 miles. Mine is the smoothest lifted truck I’ve ever had and I have had quite a few. Rotation done every 4K miles. Hardly any wear noted with 11k miles on them. I have considerable less hydroplaning than I had with the crappy stock tires. All in all I love the tires.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
This is my second set of Ridge Grapplers and my experience is completely the opposite. The Ridge Grappler is not a mud tire, it's a hybrid terrain tire. The Trail Grappler is a mud tire. I live in the PNW so I see my share of rain and snow and the Ridge Grappler does great. It is a little noisy, but not bad for a tire with aggressive tread. My tires are the XL version, so they ride much smoother than the LT version you have.

Last edited:

cervelo15

Reaction score
I've had the BFG KO2's for maybe 1000 miles and I gotta say I love them, a good validation for the choice I made. Havent been through the rain/snow yet, but highway driving the noise isnt too bad. The surprising point to me is how comfortable they are on the road. I was very worried when I read a lot of people saying LT Load Range E tires really change the ride, eluding to how negative a ride is. Now I'm not knocking those people, but I think it was a bit of an over-exaggeration that switching to those type tires really ruins the ride, because I'm loving the ride on mine.

Johny777

Reaction score
I have the same tire and in the sand the are really good when aired down to 25psi … when it rains I have the 4wd on auto and no problems. Snow does better when aired down to below 30psi depending on what ur comfortable with.. just my observations..
Now I wonder if playing around with psi would’ve helped me have a more smooth ride. I’ve always had them at 40 psi. Surprisingly everyone replying have loved these tires, although I have read similar reviews to mine on other sites as well.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Now I wonder if playing around with psi would’ve helped me have a more smooth ride. I’ve always had them at 40 psi. Surprisingly everyone replying have loved these tires, although I have read similar reviews to mine on other sites as well.
Tire threads are like oil threads.

Tdoh

Reaction score
Looks ain’t everything …. Silly to have MT’s on a pavement princess …. They have horrible road manners …. Plenty of aggressive looking AT’s out there …. Even RT’s

Ridge grapplers are all terrain tires lol

BowersFJ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ridge grapplers are all terrain tires lol

2 years later, but OK, welcome to the party …. Never said what the Ridge Grap was …. Just said MT’s suck as an every day pavement tire …. And if you really wanna know what the Ridge actually is, then read Nitto’s website
b348ceb9e5337aa685bcec7ccf649b88.jpg

mrclortho

Reaction score
The Ridge Grapples are alright, but not great, and I would not run them again. I am also a BFG KO2 fan and ran them for years on several rigs, but ended up with the Recon Grapplers on both my Jeep and truck. They were recommended by my off-road shop guy and $40 a tire cheaper. The Recons have as good of traction as KO2's, are as quiet, and a little more heavy duty. They seem to have slightly better off-road traction than the KO2's but slightly less on-road handling. By slightly, I mean most people would not notice.

LITTLEREBEL

Reaction score
I'm happy with my ridge grapplers after a year and a half. My last set of nittos were Terra grapplers and they lasted 99k miles.

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's a regional thing
They excel here in the southwest where you'll see them on about half of all off road rigs. I'm on my 4th set from 2 trucks

Users who are viewing this thread