5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My RANT for the day / week / year ??? Lol

Yes the camer is great for what’s behind you on that I will agree. But I’m solely referring to the amount of light that emanates once you put it in reverse.

I think there has to be a different camera on different trims. My rear cam looks like an IR camera that picks up a ton of light. No complaints whatsoever.

I played around with this last night and have come to this conclusion..... If there is ambient light available, be it from street lights, houses, etc, the combination of the reverse lights and camera is going to allow you to see what is behind you. But, if you are in a rural/no-light environment, well, you're just screwed unless you either have a spotter or upgrade/augment the system somehow.
I think this is why there are so many folks on both sides of this debate. I'd be willing to bet that the folks that can see easily/clearly while reversing at night are doing so in an ambient-light environment. Those of us with no ambient light are the ones that cant see.
Id love to hear other folks experiment with this. If nothing else, it gives you an excuse to get off the beaten path for a while and do some "truck stuff":cool:

Guess I'm in the minority .... there is no ambient light where I reside, and while the image is certainly not the best, I can make it out well enough to back up... but I do plan on adding additional lighting.

Guess I'm in the minority .... there is no ambient light where I reside, and while the image is certainly not the best, I can make it out well enough to back up... but I do plan on adding additional lighting.
Same here. Could it be better? Certainly, but it is way, way better than previous vehicles. No complaints.

The image was much better on my 4thgen Rebel... was disappointed with the low light performance of the 5thgen backup system. But it does work... just not as well.

For my situation our street lights are far and inbetween so no help there. This is more so for when my wife’s goes to back up, there aren’t any surprise. For my particular truck situation I feel I need better ( more direct ) lighting without having to turn on anything else.

Last edited:
That would be kinda like our Situation.....Our rural home drive way is pitch black no lights to help when backing up....lol. If we were headed out forward it would be great,but its not a good idea in our drive to back up and turn half way in the drive way at all! (Wife done it once got a visitors car in the drivers door!) So we back up all the way out about 75 feet.

For what its worth...Replaced my Cargo lights with LED and when I back up I hit the Cargo switch and can see much better! easy cheap fix so far!
Great idea / use case. I’ve changed mine as well, and now I’ll remember to use them if I need the additional light!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back