5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My RAM saved me in a freeway crash

SBrentnall

Reaction score
I wonder if you make like you are going to trade it in when you get it back, the dealer might factor in any reduction in value?
If so, that paperwork might be valuable to help with your claim if you compare it to blue book value for a trade in of your truck before the accident.

Gerry

I'm not sure if I'm going to trade it in. I'll have to see how it drives - some of my options aren't available on 2022s and I hate to give them up.

SBrentnall

Reaction score
If you would rather have it totaled: ask for a rental car for the duration of the repair. The costs of the rental car is included in the decision whether to total or not, and with a repair like this it will add up and likely total the truck.
I don't have rental coverage on my insurance, so I'd have to pay for the rental car and try and claim it back from the insurance of the woman who hit me. And since her insurance co. specializes in minimum coverage for hard to insure drivers, I could be left holding the bill.

Bob.

Reaction score
I'll see how it drives. Since it's being repaired at a dealer's body shop, they said there's a total warranty on all repairs for as long as I have the truck. So if I find anything not working correctly, they have to fix it.
My 88 K5 Blazer was new with 55 miles on it. Same story the Blazer got a bent frame at a traffic light, not my fault. The dealer rebuilt the Blazer. The frame was replaced and the front clip. It was wrecked for 1/4 the value (5,000 parts and labor 20,300 new). The dealer fixed it in 8 months. It took a year to work all the bugs out. Then in 4-5 years the paint was peeling under the doors. I repainted it on my dime and drove it 20 years. The frame and all parts were held together with nuts and bolts afterwards (Frame to springs, frame to cross members, gas lines, brake lines etc). I went under the truck and tightened every bolt I could find as tight as I could. Once rust worked it's way into the hardware the truck stopped rattling and the bumpers stayed tight. 1 bolt was a 1/4 20 I found under the motor mount because the holes were not in line and the kids who put it together must have said screw it.

Dealers in my experience hire the cheapest help they can afford to balance the profits / complaints. Just watch them and the repairs they do.

Last edited:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Advanced Safety Group was a must in my build. Auto-braking is a pretty good feature and something all cars should come with, by default.

About a year ago, now, I rear-ended an old lady at 5mph. She began to turn right, changed her mind, and stopped in the middle of the intersection as I began to turn right. Little bump, not much damage to either car, but she was so frail that she left in an ambulance.

First at-fault in 20 years, ZERO points on my license, 5MPH impact and it resulted in a) My insurance rates nearly doubling. b) threat of a lawsuit (luckily they didn't sue), c) $600 fine plus other fees d) My license was suspended (yes suspended) for 3 months because of "serious injury." The judge told me it was mandatory minimum.

Additionally, even though I qualified for a hardship license and had all the paperwork ready, they were backed up ~10 weeks of my 12-week suspension. They wouldn't even hear my case. So basically, I just drove without a license for 3 months because I have a job and kids. The hardship office called me on the 10th week and I basically said, "there's no point, now."

In either case: Auto-braking, all the way.
Curious, What cracked out state do you live in?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have a question. Without a dashcam, how can you defend yourself from blame if the person in the rear car says you hit the front car before you got hit from behind?
I'm glad you didn't get hurt much, and accident's suck big time.
(The car insurance in back is trying to lessen the damages), if you understand my question.
I'm lucky I never had one on the highway.
Depends on the state.

In MA the rear car is always at fault unless proven otherwise.
I hit a Jeep on an 360 degree on ramp in my 93 oldsmobile back in 2012 when the jeep had to slam on his brakes to a complete stop because the car in front of him STOPPED on the on-ram for no reason. He touched the car in front of him, and I flew right into his rear bumper because my brakes and tires were dog crap.
I was at fault even though I didn't cause or start the accident.

I didn't know at the time but all In had to do was have the jeep confirm that the car in start caused the problem and it would of been 2 vs 1 and I wouldn't of been at fault but my jerk insurance agent told me I couldn't fight at win (even after the Jeep said it wasn't even my fault when I hit HIM right after it happened).

Different states have different laws. Be careful with dash cams are some states they are illegal, also be mindful of recording audio like all dashcams generally do also as that can get the evidence to be thrown out\illegal.

If you do get a dashcam at least once a month remove the SD card and confirm data is being written. I had a dash cam for 3 years and found out it stopped recording the footage even though it appeared to be working. New SD card and still wouldn't record.
Luckily I never needed it and have yet to be part of an accident since but it only takes that 1 time to be worth it.

Bob.

Reaction score
Depends on the state.

In MA the rear car is always at fault unless proven otherwise.
I hit a Jeep on an 360 degree on ramp in my 93 oldsmobile back in 2012 when the jeep had to slam on his brakes to a complete stop because the car in front of him STOPPED on the on-ram for no reason. He touched the car in front of him, and I flew right into his rear bumper because my brakes and tires were dog crap.
I was at fault even though I didn't cause or start the accident.

I didn't know at the time but all In had to do was have the jeep confirm that the car in start caused the problem and it would of been 2 vs 1 and I wouldn't of been at fault but my jerk insurance agent told me I couldn't fight at win (even after the Jeep said it wasn't even my fault when I hit HIM right after it happened).

Different states have different laws. Be careful with dash cams are some states they are illegal, also be mindful of recording audio like all dashcams generally do also as that can get the evidence to be thrown out\illegal.

If you do get a dashcam at least once a month remove the SD card and confirm data is being written. I had a dash cam for 3 years and found out it stopped recording the footage even though it appeared to be working. New SD card and still wouldn't record.
Luckily I never needed it and have yet to be part of an accident since but it only takes that 1 time to be worth it.
Some states have windshield obstruction laws. So get a small one and mount it above your rear view mirror. Also if recording a voice without another persons knowledge, then just say to the cop who just pulled you over, "officer I have a dash cam and your voice is being recorded at this time". If the cop is wanting to be a jerk, that alone could tone his "authority" down.
(He has one on his uniform called a body-worn camera ( BWC) or Bodycam (for short). You have one in your car for your protection as well)

A dash cam will save you if you are involved in an accident or other moving infraction when it's not your fault. For around $100 it's cheap insurance. Plus you could capture worldly events you wish you had a camera ready to capture.
True story, I seen a moose where there shouldn't be any. I told someone. Your full of it they responded. I showed the dash cam. Holy crap that is so cool was their reply.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Some states have windshield obstruction laws. So get a small one and mount it above your rear view mirror. Also if recording a voice without another persons knowledge, then just say to the cop who just pulled you over, "officer I have a dash cam and your voice is being recorded at this time". If the cop is wanting to be a jerk, that alone could tone his "authority" down.
(He has one on his uniform called a body-worn camera ( BWC) or Bodycam (for short). You have one in your car for your protection as well)

A dash cam will save you if you are involved in an accident or other moving infraction when it's not your fault. For around $100 it's cheap insurance. Plus you could capture worldly events you wish you had a camera ready to capture.
True story, I seen a moose where there shouldn't be any. I told someone. Your full of it they responded. I showed the dash cam. Holy crap that is so cool was their reply.

But did they buy a dashcam?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score

That's not how double consent states work. Telling the cop you are recording his voice isn't legal. You would need to say I am going to record this conversation do you acknowledge this? And if he says don't record me or anything except yes then it's illegal and a good way to **** the cop off even more.

It all depends on where you live look up your local cals.

I also have never heard of a windshield obstruction for a dash cam... Have you never heard of an ez pass from the government? Those stuck to your windshield and obstruct as much as a can would.

No cops in my state use body cameras and they also don't use cameras in their cars, it's up to each police dept to determine what THEY want to use, around here it's 0 footage likely to protect the cops doing stuff they shouldn't.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't have rental coverage on my insurance, so I'd have to pay for the rental car and try and claim it back from the insurance of the woman who hit me. And since her insurance co. specializes in minimum coverage for hard to insure drivers, I could be left holding the bill.
If that happens you can file against your uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage, not your regular collision or comprehensive. Unless you declined that.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's not how double consent states work. Telling the cop you are recording his voice isn't legal. You would need to say I am going to record this conversation do you acknowledge this? And if he says don't record me or anything except yes then it's illegal and a good way to **** the cop off even more.

It all depends on where you live look up your local cals.

I also have never heard of a windshield obstruction for a dash cam... Have you never heard of an ez pass from the government? Those stuck to your windshield and obstruct as much as a can would.

No cops in my state use body cameras and they also don't use cameras in their cars, it's up to each police dept to determine what THEY want to use, around here it's 0 footage likely to protect the cops doing stuff they shouldn't.
Don't need consent to record a cop in public. Public is legally any place you can freely enter and do whatever where you have no expectation of privacy, unlike a bathroom. This goes even in 2 party consent states. Consent to record only applies to private situations.

Bob.

Reaction score
But did they buy a dashcam?
Yes I live in CT with windshield obstruction laws. I have been using a small camera mounted on the windshield for about 10 years. I hard wired it in. This was the very first mod I did, pulling the inside trim around the windshield off and running the wire around the windshield of the new truck, on the very first weekend that it sat in my driveway. It's a small dash cam mounted above the rear view mirror glued to the front windshield. It cost a little over $100 off of Amazon.

I wouldn't think of driving without one. Mine records in 4K so it's a beautiful picture. I put an on off switch under the dash. My power is directly off the battery, so the dealer can't say I caused a problem if I added a circuit off of the fuse panel. I could leave it on when I walk away from the truck. In fact I leave it on when I go for service. If the kids beat on my truck, or smash into something I will have it on video.

It draws power like a clock so there are no worries of a dead battery. The memory card is a rewrite-able card so when the card gets full it rewrites the oldest event.

We have cops who are family members. I hear the stories all the time of what's happening around town. When there is an accident they go to the pizza houses, banks whomever to get an image of that intersection to get the video to determine who is at fault at intersections when someone gets killed or seriously injured. Accidents happen at weird times with no witnesses.

We live around cameras 24-7. Today once we leave our homes we all should act like we are on camera. In fact we are somewhere. There are cameras everywhere.

I have a ADT DVR security cameras on my property. I have dashcams recording voice and video in my Ram. Big deal. But if I need that video to prove I didn't do anything wrong, or to catch a thief it could prevent me from financial hardships or even jail time if someone gets killed and I get blamed.

$100 investment is cheap insurance for my truck.

Plus you might catch a UFO or something when your driving home from work. :)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X528FNE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1 20220501_025635.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread