5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My RAM saved me in a freeway crash

SBrentnall

Reaction score
I've had my 1500 Limited for about 6 months now, and it has about 6000 miles on it. I purchased the Technology and Limited Level 1 Equipment groups, and I'm glad I did.

Last month, I was driving in heavy morning rush-hour traffic when I noticed the traffic ahead coming to a stop. I started to slow, but the Nissan in front of me hit the Lexus in front of her and I had to slam on the brakes. Let me tell you, my truck stopped on a dime! The Collision Avoidance system must have applied the brakes because I don't think I could have stopped that quickly on my own. I had about a car's length between me and the Nissan in front. The police report later showed that the Nissan confessed to doing 50-60mph when the Lexus stopped in front of her.

Unfortunately, I had just about enough time to be thankful I stopped when I was hit hard from behind. The Honda behind me didn't seem to have noticed the traffic and ran into me at about 50 mph, pushing me into the Nissan in front.

The Nissan had rear-end damage, but the Honda behind me was totalled. My truck has front and rear damage and is currently awaiting a new frame. The bed crumpled as it was supposed to, although I could only tell because of the dents in the rear of the cab where the bed hit it.But despite all this, I walked away with a slightly sore neck and that's all.

I'm so impressed with this truck! Pics below so you can see how well it protected me.

The Nissan in front of me:
IMG_6694 no plate.jpg

Front end damage to my truck:
IMG_6695 no plate.jpg

Back end damage to my truck:
IMG_6700 no plate.jpg

The distance I was pushed:
IMG_6703 no plate.jpg

The Honda who hit me:
IMG_6693.jpg

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I've had my 1500 Limited for about 6 months now, and it has about 6000 miles on it. I purchased the Technology and Limited Level 1 Equipment groups, and I'm glad I did.

Last month, I was driving in heavy morning rush-hour traffic when I noticed the traffic ahead coming to a stop. I started to slow, but the Nissan in front of me hit the Lexus in front of her and I had to slam on the brakes. Let me tell you, my truck stopped on a dime! The Collision Avoidance system must have applied the brakes because I don't think I could have stopped that quickly on my own. I had about a car's length between me and the Nissan in front. The police report later showed that the Nissan confessed to doing 50-60mph when the Lexus stopped in front of her.

Unfortunately, I had just about enough time to be thankful I stopped when I was hit hard from behind. The Honda behind me didn't seem to have noticed the traffic and ran into me at about 50 mph, pushing me into the Nissan in front.

The Nissan had rear-end damage, but the Honda behind me was totalled. My truck has front and rear damage and is currently awaiting a new frame. The bed crumpled as it was supposed to, although I could only tell because of the dents in the rear of the cab where the bed hit it.But despite all this, I walked away with a slightly sore neck and that's all.

I'm so impressed with this truck! Pics below so you can see how well it protected me.

The Nissan in front of me:
View attachment 126779

Front end damage to my truck:
View attachment 126780

Back end damage to my truck:
View attachment 126781

The distance I was pushed:
View attachment 126782

The Honda who hit me:
View attachment 126783

Awaiting a new frame?

SBrentnall

Reaction score
Awaiting a new frame?
Yes, on its way now. Should arrive in another couple of weeks, and the truck is supposed to be fully repaired by 5/31. The insurance wouldn't total the truck because parts only added up to $20k, and they don't total until the repair cost is 3/4 the truck value.

Thankfully, I had it towed to a dealership rather than a body shop, and it's being repaired with 100% OEM parts. And I'm filing a claim against the Honda who hit me for the truck's reduction in value.

BowDown

Reaction score
Yes, on its way now. Should arrive in another couple of weeks, and the truck is supposed to be fully repaired by 5/31. The insurance wouldn't total the truck because parts only added up to $20k, and they don't total until the repair cost is 3/4 the truck value.

Thankfully, I had it towed to a dealership rather than a body shop, and it's being repaired with 100% OEM parts. And I'm filing a claim against the Honda who hit me for the truck's reduction in value.
Didn't know they'd do that but it does make sense on a truck. Glad it worked out

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did the bottom of your front bumper hit the top of the Altima's trunk? It looks like no damage to your grill.
The grill seems to be able to take an impact, I had a similiar impact into the back of a minivan and my grill dented the rear hatch and broke out the window but only had a scratch on it. The bumper on the other hand caves in like a soda can as mine looked like his above but the minivan only had scratches.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

That's a good idea, I'll have to get mine towed to a dealer if I have an accident. It really sucks fighting independent shops to get them to use OEM parts.

SBrentnall

Reaction score
Did the bottom of your front bumper hit the top of the Altima's trunk? It looks like no damage to your grill.
Yes, although apparently it sustained damage I couldn't see because the grill is one of the parts scheduled to be replaced.

SBrentnall

Reaction score
The grill seems to be able to take an impact, I had a similiar impact into the back of a minivan and my grill dented the rear hatch and broke out the window but only had a scratch on it. The bumper on the other hand caves in like a soda can as mine looked like his above but the minivan only had scratches.
The grill looked fine, but the dealership has it down to be replaced. You're right about the bumper - it pushed down and in until it was touching the front wheel.

IMG_6708.jpg

Ninety-9 SE-L

Reaction score
Advanced Safety Group was a must in my build. Auto-braking is a pretty good feature and something all cars should come with, by default.

About a year ago, now, I rear-ended an old lady at 5mph. She began to turn right, changed her mind, and stopped in the middle of the intersection as I began to turn right. Little bump, not much damage to either car, but she was so frail that she left in an ambulance.

First at-fault in 20 years, ZERO points on my license, 5MPH impact and it resulted in a) My insurance rates nearly doubling. b) threat of a lawsuit (luckily they didn't sue), c) $600 fine plus other fees d) My license was suspended (yes suspended) for 3 months because of "serious injury." The judge told me it was mandatory minimum.

Additionally, even though I qualified for a hardship license and had all the paperwork ready, they were backed up ~10 weeks of my 12-week suspension. They wouldn't even hear my case. So basically, I just drove without a license for 3 months because I have a job and kids. The hardship office called me on the 10th week and I basically said, "there's no point, now."

In either case: Auto-braking, all the way.

50Front

Reaction score
Advanced Safety Group was a must in my build. Auto-braking is a pretty good feature and something all cars should come with, by default.

I turned off the auto braking after the truck hit the brakes a few time for no reason. Luckily there was no one close behind. I do have the warning still active; BRAKE.

PatrickLeedleLee

Reaction score
I turned off the auto braking after the truck hit the brakes a few time for no reason. Luckily there was no one close behind. I do have the warning still active; BRAKE.

This is different than the auto-collision braking. You're referring to the park sensors causing your truck to brake. They're separate functions as far as I'm aware.

BowDown

Reaction score
This is different than the auto-collision braking. You're referring to the park sensors causing your truck to brake. They're separate functions as far as I'm aware.

No, I believe he's talking about the collision avoidance braking, not the parking auto braking. Mine has done that a few times on uphill roads where there was a large freeway sign or a bridge that the camera mistook for a vehicle presumably due to the angle, uphill, I was driving

PatrickLeedleLee

Reaction score
No, I believe he's talking about the collision avoidance braking, not the parking auto braking. Mine has done that a few times on uphill roads where there was a large freeway sign or a bridge that the camera mistook for a vehicle presumably due to the angle, uphill, I was driving

Ope, meant to quote the comment below that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online