5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My RAM 1500 Limited AM radio sucks!

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Do you have aftermarket (or oem for that matter) led bulbs? Leds emit a ton of radio frequencies and interfere with reception, particularly AM radio

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Should change the title of this thread just to "AM radio sucks!"
Want me to buy you a cassette player? I can ship it to you and you can record ebooks getting read instead.

I see you're in Hawaii, so maybe AM radio exists\is used down there? Not so much in the states.

Dewey

Reaction score
Want me to buy you a cassette player? I can ship it to you and you can record ebooks getting read instead.

I see you're in Hawaii, so maybe AM radio exists\is used down there? Not so much in the states.
It was a sad day when cassette players were removed from vehicles. Even worse when the CD player was no longer an option.😢

I’m actually surprised how many AM stations are still available for as little as it gets used these days.

BowDown

Reaction score
It was a sad day when cassette players were removed from vehicles. Even worse when the CD player was no longer an option.😢

I’m actually surprised how many AM stations are still available for as little as it gets used these days.

Honestly why do you need a CD player when you have USB ports?
Load your music on a flash drive and go; I haven't bought a CD since the 90's and everything I have is on MP3 or 4 format

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Honestly why do you need a CD player when you have USB ports?
Load your music on a flash drive and go; I haven't bought a CD since the 90's and everything I have is on MP3 or 4 format
I could ask why bother using USB ports when you have Bluetooth.
My phone has 512GB of storage. I only have around 40GB of music.

Dewey

Reaction score
You young guys and your newfangled contraptions.😆

I have over 300 CD’s, a few hundred cassettes and about a 100 vinyl albums. My phone is 128 GB and most of it it used for that downloaded music. Crazy carrying most of my music collection in my pocket.

Obviously the convenience is available to use but there’s nothing like sliding a cassette or CD into a player or dropping a needle on vinyl. If I have to explain you’ll never understand.😃

The AM radio discussion turned me nostalgic.😆

KonaKruiser

Reaction score

Yes AM still in Hawaii (mostly for news stations)...we have no SAT Radio reception....FM choices limited.....annd we are also "in the States" .

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yes AM still in Hawaii (mostly for news stations)...we have no SAT Radio reception....FM choices limited.....annd we are also "in the States" .
Sorry lol.
in the states was the wrong term lol.

I mean in main land USA (wow that sounds weird).

I don't think I ever used AM before. Maybe once or twice to hear sports games a while back.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do you have aftermarket (or oem for that matter) led bulbs? Leds emit a ton of radio frequencies and interfere with reception, particularly AM radio
That's what OPs post sounds like. Lots of LED "bulbs" have switch mode voltage converter circuits built in, and with no particular standard for how much RF noise they can generate, some are pretty bad. When I was approached by a certain replacement bulb company that I won't name to act as a product tester, I declined.

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The last time I listened to AM radio was in 2020. I was driving cross country and was in BFE middle Texas in my wife's Pacifica. Sirius subscription was expired, I tired of my music on USB, and not many FM stations to choose from.

BowDown

Reaction score

I'd agree but I'm only looking at the storage space consumed by the mp3/4's on your phone. I don't buy large data capacity phones, cost per Gb isn't good

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'd agree but I'm only looking at the storage space consumed by the mp3/4's on your phone. I don't buy large data capacity phones, cost per Gb isn't good
Are you out of your mind?
A 128gb micro SD card is around $15 bucks. If you can't afford that you Probbly shouldn't be driving a truck that uses gas and ride a bicycle everywhere.

The size of audio files are the same no matter what you put it on. Storage is more expensive using CDs then anything else. Are you remembering the music and humming it to your self instead of playing it on a device because it's too expensive to store on a digital recording device?

Ram-a-Kin

Reaction score
My wife’s previous Volvo S90 (2018) didn’t even have an AM option.

NHRoadking

Reaction score
AM radio??? 😆

Is that something you research with your flip phone? Maybe there is a tutorial you can watch on your VCR? Maybe call RamCares on your landline and see if they can help. If that doesn’t work, try calling them from a payphone.

Scram1500

Reaction score
No...all standard equipment
Do you have your DRL's on? Might try turning those off.

Also try the AM radio with the ignition in ACC mode when not driving to see if the signal improves, could be other sources of radio signal interference. I would also try a portable AM radio to rule out an issue with the head unit

Users who are viewing this thread