5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My my how the turn tables!

AnthonyRI

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Well, I finally joined the Ram Family after ordering & selling quite a few, finally got one for myself.
Please be kind as now the tables have turned and it will be I that has questions!
Not likely to do a ton of mods or anything but a few tweaks for sake of cargo/carrying in my various use-cases.

Lucky for you all, I'm a big fan of self-deprecating humor, so I will share my wins and losses (some of which have already happened)

THE SCHEDULE
Ordered 12/2/23
VIN # 12/2/23
Scheduled D1 1/5/24 (estimated date 1/25)
Production Start 1/24/24
On a train 1/27/24
Dealer Delivered 2/6/24

THE DEAL
You know, you'd think I would have figured this out. I tried to time it right at the end of the model year, to hopefully capitalize on the best rebates as 2025's were going to start production by the time mine would be delivered. This ALMOST worked out.
When the truck arrived on 2/6 we knew that the rebates were going to change for 2/8 and I had my heart set on the glory of a 10% Ram Rebate.... alas, not on a Bighorn. Ultimately, I ended up leasing, because the MF on the lease made financing the first 'half' of the vehicle dang-near interest free - and then I'll most likely buy it out at the end. OR, if it turns out that I am drooling over a hurricane, or need larger backseat by then, I can get out free and clear.

I tried the Ram Mastercard program where if you spend $7500 in the first calendar year, you get a $1K voucher towards the purchase of a new vehicle. This worked reasonably well, despite a little delay in getting the voucher. However, as it turns out, this is the same $1K voucher category as a classic TDM you can get online that you've all seen me post about. So, in the end, I could have just done that.

Otherwise, my deal was fairly clean cut same 11.5% off MSRP for a bighorn factory order, plus 1% off MD price for affiliate (I used tread lightly), and my $1K voucher. 42mo lease with 15K miles even though I know I won't use nearly that much, it was about maximizing use of capital/cash and "using up" more of the SFS low MF rate to buy a larger % of the truck. That's just my logic that works for our own situation and financial outlook at the moment, compared side by side with interest rates on traditional finance with the cash rebates available, it just worked out well this way.

I ended up adding the interior/exterior protection package with the self-awareness that I'm a mess, and knowing how I will use the truck will have potential for good utilization.

THE BUILD

2024 Bighorn Quadcab 4x4 HEMI, 6'4 Bed, Level B, Safety, Bed Utility, Blind Spot, Anti Spin, Wheelhouse Liners, Floormats, Trailer Brake Control, bench, bright white
I really wanted the longbed, and for that reason sacrificed the back seat... we'll see how that turns out. Prior truck has a 6'8" bed and I couldn't fathom dropping a full 13" off of that.
Main reason for getting the Level B was ability to snag the blind spot and safety features, but really enjoying the Alpine so far and there are plenty of other gadgetry of course.

THE TRADE

Man I'm going to miss this other truck. I'm only the second owner, though it's on it's second engine .... I have enjoyed the love/hate relationship of an older truck needing love and care every now and again - and just being unique. I suppose if I keep this HEMI long enough it may feel the same lol. Aaron lowballed me on the trade value so I'm going to sell it to a neighbor, at least that way I can still see it around town.

1000000489.jpg 1000000490.jpg

1000000482.jpg 1000000483.jpg
1000000491.jpg

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ultimately, I ended up leasing, because the MF on the lease made financing the first 'half' of the vehicle dang-near interest free
What does MF stand for? I mean, I know what it stands for in some contexts, but I doubt that’s what you mean here! 😜

Congrats on your new Ram!

AnthonyRI

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
What does MF stand for? I mean, I know what it stands for in some contexts, but I doubt that’s what you mean here! 😜

Congrats on your new Ram!
LOL

MF = Money Factor, the interest charged for the lease. The rates are different per model, per model year, per region, per lender, and per length of lease. Each month (sometimes shorter intervals) the lenders (CCAP, Stellantis Financial, Ally, etc) Set their MF and residual which provides the structure of the lease. Mileage selections do not effect MF.

Residual is what the vehicle is worth at end of lease, dictating your cost to buy it out as well as what portion of the vehicle is being "used up" so to speak during the length of lease. All of the factors for MF effect the residual PLUS how much mileage you are agreeing to (higher mileage equals lower residual value)

Bighorns & Laramies often get "help" on the lease programs with nice low money-factors, while upper trims do not. Much like how Bighorn/Laramie get cash rebates sooner, or greater, than the higher trims.

MS Delta

Reaction score
Anthony,

Congratulations on your new truck. I think your ford just needs a little bondo over that rust and good as new. Seriously like the long bed and dual gas tanks!

AnthonyRI

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Anthony,

Congratulations on your new truck. I think your ford just needs a little bondo over that rust and good as new. Seriously like the long bed and dual gas tanks!
LOL it was a SINGLE owner truck bought brand new and spend it's life in NYC, Maine, and RI. Back half of frame replaced by prior owner, along with engine swap. We did some frame work on the front end as well a few years ago to get it past safety inspection. The good thing about it is, you aint never gonna get a speeding ticket in it!!

AnthonyRI

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Sidesteps.... I wasn't sold (pun intended) on the idea, but after a few weeks and my Mrs. input... decided it was necessary. Truly appreciated the great thread Let's see those running boards/side steps to see a lot of choices in the wild. I was afraid that the ones with holes in them may have looked too auto-zoney but they're growing on me, they're heavy enough for feel and I think will be easier to also not collect mud/sand.

Ended up with Go Rhino RB20 Slim Line Running Boards w/Mounting Bracket Kit
They were $864.49 list but there was a promo, so all together was $675.66

Install was thankfully a very nice day - VERY simple to do just a little elbow grease... a lot of elbow grease.... since the bolts on truck had GOOPS of paint on em on the lower ones.
Will probably go back and address how I want them lined up fore and aft, and side to side, a few more times to get it right. IMG_20240303_160319557_HDR.jpg IMG_20240303_160214618_HDR.jpg

stevieb92

Reaction score
Congrats on your new truck! Looks fantastic! I just installed the RB20 side steps too, but I went with the standard instead of the slim version. Was tossing up both before deciding on the standard width. They are super sturdy and look fantastic! No joke, those bottom bolts have lots of paint on them, but I used a thread die to clean them off fairly easily.

Users who are viewing this thread