5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My GDE Tune: 4.75 stars out of 5.00 (okay, 4.9)

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Several months ago I took the plunge. I ordered a tune from Green Diesel Engineering, Diesel Tuning for Performance and Fuel economy
(See my sig: driving a 2021 Ram EcoDiesel.)

I checked all the boxes. In just two days (North Carolina), it all arrived: a new ECU, my original ECU (that I had fedex up to them a few days earlier), a Security Gateway Bypass, and a handheld data transfer box.

The instructions are amazingly clear. It is VERY simple to swap the ECU in/out. In order to perform the transmission tune, I had to use their device to scan my OBDII and email a file to them. They say it could be 2 business days to get a file back. It took 34 minutes. ;)

I uploaded the file to my truck...and then went for a drive.

It's like I gained two cylinders. The performance improvement is obvious, but not overwhelming. It's not like I'm afraid of lighting up the tires. I have much crisper shifting: it's faster and firmer, but still pleasant. The response and engine/gear control are fabulous. And, yes, I've gained 10% in mileage.

The manual shift control works great. I can "force" an upshift, but all the protections are still in place and prevent lugging. Ditto with overspeed.

This tune really wakes up the engine but still keeps it as an amazing highway cruiser.

Seriously...it feels like it has a v8 not a v6.

I have not had it long enough to judge DEF consumption. (It should decrease.) I've only driven about 1,000 miles on the tune, mixed use.

The ONLY negative was the lack of "user manual". The transmission tune included engine braking and the shift control. I emailed GDE and got this response:

"To exit manual mode you just hold the + button for two seconds, then it puts you back in D mode.

Two conditions must be true at same time for engine braking to activate: foot off accel pedal and rpm above 2500. Coming down a grade or just wanting to slow down more aggressively, downshift with - button, get rpm close to 4000 for maximum braking effort with foot off throttle."

That email response took about a day or two.

The lack of those instructions/description is the ONLY shortcoming I could find. The instructions for the install, and the GDE level of response, are outstanding!

I am VERY pleased with my GDE tune.

Ken
(No, I was not paid or received any recompense for this. I'm just gushing because it's that good. ;) )

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've got 42,000km on my GDE tune and love it. I've towed a lot with it and the engine braking feature when towing is awesome.

Sent from my SM-S911W using Tapatalk

66Fuelie

Reaction score
Love my tune and GDE support. I agree on the manual, even just a online manual that we could down load.
Tom

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Back in my ecoDiesel days I dealt with them directly at their shop in Michigan on multiple visits. They are a very nice group of guys, and super accomodating. That said, they are BUSY, so at times they can be a bit slow to respond, especially via email, but end of the day I trusted them completely and LOVED the engine and tranny tunes. (2016 Gen2 ED)

2021EcoDiesel

Reaction score
Well, now I guess I have to get mine tuned. Getting close to the end of the factory warranty anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread