5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My gawd, the wind noise!

Booch

Reaction score
Seems to be a whole lot of wind noise with my 2021 Rebel. I've only got 5k on it and leveled it at about 2500 miles. Can't say I've driven this truck much (COVID wfh), but just got back from a 500 mile highway trip (first long drive), and it was like being in an airplane. Especially on the way home, decent headwind, and my ears were almost popping. Occasionally prior, I have noticed wind noise but just chalked it up to heavy wind, as it has been fairly windy here.

Not my first 'big' truck (not even my biggest truck), not my first lift/level, not my first 1500. But never in any truck prior have I even thought about wind noise. I have read a few threads about specific wind noises, but none generally complaining about just general, heavy wind noise.

I haven't approached the dealer yet. Being a level truck, I'm sure thats the first thing they'll blame. But lots of members have leveled 1500s. Anyone have similar complaints, or thoughts?

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is it just on the drivers side or all four doors?

Last edited:

Booch

Reaction score
Not really a specific side. It's just loud throughout the cab. You can easily hear the wind changing speed/direction.

Hyfire

Reaction score
I’m not trying to be a smart ***, but what could the dealer do about this?

It’s the shape of a truck and the effectiveness of the sound deadening glass. It is what it is, is it not?

Booch

Reaction score

It’s the shape of a truck and the effectiveness of the sound deadening glass. It is what it is, is it not?

Thanks... very helpful.

CPenn1086

Reaction score
I get it from the upper B Pillar on the driver's side only when it is very windy. I was going to ask the dealer to look at it, but I am afraid they will just make it worse. Since it only happens once every so often, I can just live with it.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score

Well in an ideal world they would fix it. It's not the shape of the truck or the glass. I've owned two 5th gens (Laramie and Limited), my wife owns one (Limited), and my daughter owns one (Rebel). None of them makes any of the wind noises people have been complaining about for 3+ years now.

nburd

Reaction score
I assume you do not have Vent Visors on the windows. I have found those increase wind noise significantly on other vehicles. So far, my 2020 is wind noise free. Since the cab is so quiet, I can understand why any added wind noise would be noticeable and not acceptable. The only time I noticed any excessive noise was when I lowered a window on the highway and the interior wind buffeting shut down the ANC and it was somewhat noisier until next restart.

ldoh

Reaction score
Mine doesn't do it very often but on occasion I get a loud driver's side whistle sound. It only happens on the freeway with strong gusty headwinds. Unfortunately it's another FCA swing/miss this time with poor aerodynamic cabin design with apparently inadequate modeling and road testing.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Check your door alignment, check the seals on the doors, and check the paneling on the exterior between the windows. One member had bad whistling that "fixed" itself when that plastic piece flew off because it wasn't properly attached.

My leveled Rebel has almost zero wind noise at 80 mph. The tires are louder than the wind, and turning on the radio to a minimum level negates that. You can easily have a low volume conversation in this truck on the highway.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Mine doesn't do it very often but on occasion I get a loud driver's side whistle sound. It only happens on the freeway with strong gusty headwinds. Unfortunately it's another FCA swing/miss this time with poor aerodynamic cabin design with apparently inadequate modeling and road testing.
Poor door alignment could the culprit.
"Ram 1500's coefficient of drag is now 0.357" Not poor in my book by any means.
The Dura-tracks with 40K+ are the loudest thing on my Rebel at the moment.

bazz

Reaction score
I've had my 2021 Rebel for about a week now and travel on the highway most everyday. I haven't experienced any wind noise worth noting at all. Drove 100 miles on the highway this past weekend without the radio on since the wife was asleep the entire way. It's actually a lot quieter inside than the F350 I came out of. At least, this Rebel seems to be.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I hear wind noise sometimes which I think is actually the noise cancelling through the speakers. It comes all of a sudden. Then I turn up the volume of my radio, turn it back down, and it’s gone.

bonebro

Reaction score
I have the same issue as OP. I have spent years and many hours trying to figure out why mine is so loud inside. No luck. I just turn the radio up and drive it like I’m going to trade it in soon :)

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had the "Tea Kettle Whistle" once at the Passenger A Pillar. It turned out
that the door was not fully closed, but the Door ajar warning was not lit up.

Malodave

Last edited:

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I bent in the top of my drivers door frame (location of the noise) and it went away

Every20years

Reaction score
My truck is quieter than my wife's Honda Pilot at 80 mph. Haven't driven into a 30 mph headwind yet but thus far am VERY happy with out quiet it is. Eventually will put AT tires on and that will change it some but the All Seasons are nice. I won't go "Off Road" except the occasional forest service road in the National Forests so as long as the stock tires handle the Colorado snow when we go to the mountains I'll just wait to replace them. Why spend $1200 until I have to?

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Have you tried any of the sound pressure apps on your phone?
You could measure a baseline while sitting still and then measure at different speed increments. It could be that you were experiencing a "perfect storm" scenario with your speed coupled with the windspeed and angle of the wind.

Booch

Reaction score
Have you tried any of the sound pressure apps on your phone?
You could measure a baseline while sitting still and then measure at different speed increments. It could be that you were experiencing a "perfect storm" scenario with your speed coupled with the windspeed and angle of the wind.

Interesting. No, never heard of those apps. Might try one on my next highway trip. At least that'll give me something material to show.

Stan&Donna

Reaction score
My truck is quieter than my wife's Honda Pilot at 80 mph. Haven't driven into a 30 mph headwind yet but thus far am VERY happy with out quiet it is. Eventually will put AT tires on and that will change it some but the All Seasons are nice. I won't go "Off Road" except the occasional forest service road in the National Forests so as long as the stock tires handle the Colorado snow when we go to the mountains I'll just wait to replace them. Why spend $1200 until I have to?
my 2021 longhorn is also very noisy had window vents on it dealer said they caused it took them off now the dealer says it's the trailer tow mirrors

Users who are viewing this thread