5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My first brand new vehicle ever!

DocNash

Reaction score
So as the title says, first time I’ve ever owned a brand new, off the lot, vehicle. Recently took delivery of a 2023 Ram 1500 crewcab (new body style) with the e-torque V6, 4wd, in Patriot Blue. His name is Bandit Heeler (if you got kids, you know who Bandit is). Since he’s bone stock, the plan is as follows:
1. Side steps
2. Bed liner
3. Tonneau cover (folding hard cover)
4. Lift: looking to go about 3-4”, basically wanna run 35’s on 18” rims.
5. Wheels & tires
6. Exhaust and CAI

Has anyone ran the Rough Country 3.5” lift? RC customer service said their strut options are set up for the hemi, not the v6. They also said I can’t run 35’s, I’d have to bump up to the 6” lift. Help?

Attachments

• IMG_7712.jpeg
    IMG_7712.jpeg
    157.6 KB · Views: 30

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Congrats, I'm sure if you scan the Mods threads you will find good advice and insight there.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome, and congrats!

Havoc1649

Reaction score
I’m on my first Ram and picked it up about 6 weeks ago. Coming from multiple Fords prior, I’ve been floored by the interior and fit and finish of the Ram. It’s not a close comparison. The Ram is superior in every way. I went with the black midnight edition Laramie and the looks are simply awesome.

What I’ve most been amazed by though is the engine and towing. I tow about 8,000 pounds of travel trailer regularly. I’ve had the 3.5 Ecoboost for primarily this reason. I took a little bit of a leap of faith moving to the 5.7 Hemi Etorque with 3.92 gears and I’m so glad I did. For towing, it is superior to the Ford in my opinion. The etorque kicks in quickly and brings a mountain of torque with it. Being used to the turbos ramping up, the etorque is a pleasant surprise with its instant go. It moves off the line smooth as could be. Power is never in question no matter what I ask the Hemi to do. I actually like towing with it just as much as with a diesel. I did not expect that.

Finally, fuel economy has also been a great surprise. I added a K&N filter as I do with all my vehicles and it bumped it up bit. With the 3.92 gears, I averaged 22.7 mpg with my 4 wheel drive package on a recent long trip. It did this under normal driving without driving it softly for mpg’s. That is a full 3 mpg better than my ecoboost could do. I average a bit over 18 mpg in town and that again is slightly better than the Ecoboost.

Lastly, and what I was most curious about was towing efficiency. Travel to our usual spot is about 120 miles at 60 mph of hilly driving. I’m averaging just under 12 after multiple runs. This is nearly 2 mpg better than the Ecoboost I came from. I couldn’t be happier.

If you tow, the etorque is the way to go. I love the difference the system makes. It is the best combination I’ve owned. After owning Chevy and Ford’s, I’m not sure I’ll ever own anything other than a Ram.

mplaramie

Reaction score
Congrats on the Ram! I was also bit by the "time to modify" bug.

Regarding your lift, anything under 4" is kinda a weird area because you can do simple level with spacers or improve your suspension and do Bill's, Eibach, Icon, Fox, Carli and so on up to 3". Each has a kit with springs that will provide the lift w/ direct replacement, no brakets. Just make sure you look at new UCA's for anything over 2" to 2.5" if not included. Even a Readylift SST 3.5 kit would work for the look but not typically good for any offroad.

Anything over 4", you start using the lift kit brackets for the lift and geometry correction. Zone, BDS, etc make good kits.

You really need to focus on how you will drive and what you want. Everyone has an opinion but each of us may not drive or have the same requirements that you have. Good luck! The forum is a wealth of knowledge. Just try to stay out of the rabbit hole and cry once......

Users who are viewing this thread