5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My first big issue 2019 Laramie and its a whopper!

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Two days ago I went out to the driveway and touched the door handle to get in the truck. The auto lock sensor didn't pop the locks so I hit the unlock on the keyfob and it didn't work either. I went inside and got the other two fobs and the truck did not respond to either of them.
I used the physical key to open the door and of course the security alarm starts beeping. I closed the door and hit the start button. The center gauges lit up but the truck wont crank. Touched the key on the button and tried to start it that way. Nothing. Popped the hood and checked the battery voltage, its 12.8 volts so its good. I figured what the hell and hooked up the jump box. Nothing. It won't even go into accessory mode. It only stays in the off mode.

Called the local dealer & made an appointment for today and called a tow truck to take it in. When we tried to pull the manual release to put the truck in neutral for the tow it did not release the wheels. The electronic emergency brake would not release either. What a **** show. Hoping to find out what the hell went wrong with this thing later today.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I will never use the parking brake again after having an issue where it wouldn't disengage after a battery failure. There's no way to manually disengage. Your problem could still be battery related. Hopefully it is just something simple.

Scram1500

Reaction score
The electronic parking brake needs a manual release, but since it's a "safety feature" it won't happen. Quite an oversight there.

Hopefully your back window isn't leaking which can fry the module responsible for recognizing the key

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I will never use the parking brake again after having an issue where it wouldn't disengage after a battery failure. There's no way to manually disengage. Your problem could still be battery related. Hopefully it is just something simple.
I replaced the battery yesterday so it may be an electrical issue but its not the battery for sure.

Snow White

Reaction score
Two days ago I went out to the driveway and touched the door handle to get in the truck. The auto lock sensor didn't pop the locks so I hit the unlock on the keyfob and it didn't work either. I went inside and got the other two fobs and the truck did not respond to either of them.
I used the physical key to open the door and of course the security alarm starts beeping. I closed the door and hit the start button. The center gauges lit up but the truck wont crank. Touched the key on the button and tried to start it that way. Nothing. Popped the hood and checked the battery voltage, its 12.8 volts so its good. I figured what the hell and hooked up the jump box. Nothing. It won't even go into accessory mode. It only stays in the off mode.

Called the local dealer & made an appointment for today and called a tow truck to take it in. When we tried to pull the manual release to put the truck in neutral for the tow it did not release the wheels. The electronic emergency brake would not release either. What a **** show. Hoping to find out what the hell went wrong with this thing later today.
Unfortunately this is happening all too often. With me I was able to start and drive the truck by pressing the top of the key fob to the start switch. I thought it was just a low key fob battery so I grabbed my spare and went off to work. came out of work and couldn't get it to start. Long story short. When the Dealer Finally Diagnosed it, it was the RF Hub Module that is located on the back wall of the cab. It gets shorted out if it gets wet and renders the proximity sensor and push to start inoperable while you can still use the key fob to enter lock and start the vehicle. ***** is that ONLY the Dealer can program the new one and it has to be programmed at the time it is installed. Mine got wet due to a cracked and leaking rear window frame. BTW the PART MSRP is about $80 and Auto (Rip Off) Nation wanted to charge me $125 for the part. I saved a couple of hours labor by R&R the rear seats myself while waiting for the part to arrive. 3rd Brake light leak can also cause the problem.
Good Luck.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
We just had this same issue happen on our 2020 Limited over the weekend. It's being towed to the dealership this afternoon and they'll be taking a look at it in the morning. Dealership replaced the 3rd brake light about a month ago because of water leaking into the cab. The rear window frame is cracked so I'm pretty sure the brake light didn't cure the leak, and i have a feeling that's why we're having this problem now. At least we still have some warranty left on this truck. Good luck with yours @silver64, and please update the thread if/when you find out the cause.

Snow White

Reaction score
Unfortunately this is happening all too often. With me I was able to start and drive the truck by pressing the top of the key fob to the start switch. I thought it was just a low key fob battery so I grabbed my spare and went off to work. came out of work and couldn't get it to start. Long story short. When the Dealer Finally Diagnosed it, it was the RF Hub Module that is located on the back wall of the cab. It gets shorted out if it gets wet and renders the proximity sensor and push to start inoperable while you can still use the key fob to enter lock and start the vehicle. ***** is that ONLY the Dealer can program the new one and it has to be programmed at the time it is installed. Mine got wet due to a cracked and leaking rear window frame. BTW the PART MSRP is about $80 and Auto (Rip Off) Nation wanted to charge me $125 for the part. I saved a couple of hours labor by R&R the rear seats myself while waiting for the part to arrive. 3rd Brake light leak can also cause the problem.
Good Luck.
Also I found that I had to HOLD the top of the Key Fob to the Button to get it to start, Not just press it quickly.
Hope this helps

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Also I found that I had to HOLD the top of the Key Fob to the Button to get it to start, Not just press it quickly.
Hope this helps
Yep I did hold it there for about 10 seconds or so several times but no luck.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
on a side note...all these vehicles being manufactured these days, are OVER engineered. They are becoming MORE unreliable. Yes, the engines last a lot longer than when I was a teenager in the 70's, (when you threw a party if your car went over 100K), but the excessive electronics, monitors, computers, sensors etc...are becoming a nightmare. AND, these vehicles are actually becoming EASIER to steal! I'm in CO...Denver had something like 45,000 car thefts last year in the metro area....45,000!!!!!!

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep I did hold it there for about 10 seconds or so several times but no luck.
your truck is at the dealer right now ?

if not, unplug one side of the battery, press afew times (2 or 3)on the brake pedal (that will try to put your brake lights on, and will drain remaining battety power in system, that will cause a reset, it works also to erase some check engine) and replug battery

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
UPDATE**** The dealer called and let me know that the RF unit behind the seats is fried as a result of a leaky window frame. The gasket on the third brake light is also leaky according to them. There was no water apparent to me but I have no reason to doubt the dealer since they are very reliable and honest.
Estimate

[Primary]: 10CHZ08 : WONT START $0.00
Electrical: rf hub and diag $571.16
[Other]: replace rear glass, sublet $1285.00
Bulb - Third Brake Light Assembly: light assembly $80.13
Total= $2052

Has anyone spoken to corporate about this since the factory install of the rear window was obviously defective as well as the third brake light?
I also filed a complaint with the NHTSA. If they do something about it great if not at least its on record and maybe if enough people complain they will do a recall/TSB.

Last edited:

Scram1500

Reaction score
Has anyone spoken to corporate about this since the factory install of the rear window was obviously defective as well as the third brake light?
I also filed a complaint with the NHTSA. If they do something about it great if not at least its on record and maybe if enough people complain they will do a recall/TSB.
The numbers of cases are increasing as these trucks get older, they'll have to address this eventually

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
UPDATE**** The dealer called and let me know that the RF unit behind the seats is fried as a result of a leaky window frame. The gasket on the third brake light is also leaky according to them. There was no water apparent to me but I have no reason to doubt the dealer since they are very reliable and honest.
Estimate

[Primary]: 10CHZ08 : WONT START $0.00
Electrical: rf hub and diag $571.16
[Other]: replace rear glass, sublet $1285.00
Bulb - Third Brake Light Assembly: light assembly $80.13
Total= $2052

tag and ask ramcare to help out, or call directly fca for.goodwill

Users who are viewing this thread