5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Experience with 275/65-20 with 3.92 gears

Tagaru

Reaction score
Here are the pics, if you wish some other views let me know!

Rotts4u: Yes all Limiteds have air suspension so ORP plus air suspension

Grimson: I understand what you mean and if I was mudding these days would have to bear with noise also. But all LT tires are not made the same and to get the correct weight you have to go to manufacturer website (discount tire and tire rack are not always correct). They can differ by 10+lb between the lightest and heaviest and that can be a huge difference on mileage. The Nitto I picked already topped the load rating of Falken WP by 200 lbs so I am ok. As long as the weight ratings are north of your OE and you are not going to get in situations where payload is exceeded, one should be fine. The reason I don't intend to tow with this Limited is its payload is a measly 1050lbs. By the time I put family and stuff in it, not much left for the tongue weight for anything I have to tow.
valuable information! I have been thinking about ordering 2020 1500 once the production resumes. thus far considering limited trim, 5.7L eTorque ORP, 3.92, swapping 20" wheels with Rebel wheels and tires. I was assuming this would result in a payload of ~1300 lbs. But your post has got me thinking about my configuration. would you be willing to share the spec that got you to 1050 lbs on a limited? Also, if I need to keep my options open for towing with my future truck in a 4x4 configuration, should I consider the Rebel instead? Your insights could be a timely help for me. thanks in advance!

zchamber

Reaction score
Tagaru: So you can look up your payload on a comparable truck by taking the VIN number from dealer website and using the ram trucks website here https://www.ramtrucks.com/towing-guide.html
There will be look up with VIN, this way you will know before even having the ability to see the door jam label.

I pretty much ordered everything available ie Limited 4x4 ORP, MFT, Ramboxes, Dual pane sunroof, 33 Gal etc. that led to such a low payload plus on top added the backflip and some other stuff. You will have better payload with no ORP, MFT, Ramboxes if you want Limited.

If you start adding options all of them end up there so more important is how you work your options ie MFT is additional 75lbs and which one's ride comfort interior is best for you. I love the interior and ride of Limited/Longhorn. On a comparable truck, longhorn was coming in $2K higher than Limited. With ORP, I got the 1 inch lift and most of the rebel goodies but with Auto 4WD so guess best of both options for me. Just FYI my other truck is 2018 power wagon .

Tagaru

Reaction score
zchamber: thank you for the clarity! This helps me in my decision making. Last night I did start surveying the VIN numbers from online window stickers on dealer inventories. Does the ram's VIN look up accurately match door jamb labels?

I was considering with ORP, MFT, and 33 gal tank. Without the ramboxes n panaromic roof.

I read in one of the threads here that a member has painstakingly put together weights for every option on every trim. Will go source that too in combination of VIN lookup.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

zchamber

Reaction score
Yes on door jam matches up with VIN number look up link. Yes there is a thread on weights for options but found it quicker to tag the vin in the link where truck was close to the options desired in requisite trim level.

Wish you best in your hunt for the right truck for your needs...you have time!

zchamber

Reaction score
Enjoying the ride No complaints, went through bunch of rainy days also and no problem either with wet traction. Upgraded stock rear sway bar to Hellwig and went through some sharp s-turns on the state hwy and no issues either.

Zoompastu

Reaction score
Another couple options for people are the Yokohama GeoLander G015 at just under 52 pounds and the new Toyo AT3 at 54 pounds. This is starting to get a little heavy but the Mickey Thompson ATZP3 is 58 pounds. Those three are LT tires

zchamber

Reaction score
the weight of Yokohama is actually 57.2 Lbs and I did consider it.

As I said, correct weights are only available at manufacturer websites, I found quite bit of discrepancies at discount and tire rack for example.

Toyo AT3 is indeed 54 lbs but I had prior experience with them and found their ride harsh and not great wet traction.

As with the everything else, YMMV with these tires.

Zoompastu

Reaction score
You’re right.... I was going off of tire size.com they’re usually pretty accurate but yes the manufacture website is the way to go.

Supposedly Toyo fixed the wet weather and ride issue with the new rubber compound of the AT3 versus the old AT2. I also was not a fan of the AT2

Attachments

• F84B2563-8A77-469D-8161-45B1BEA0978F.png
    F84B2563-8A77-469D-8161-45B1BEA0978F.png
    309.5 KB · Views: 57

zchamber

Reaction score
An Update

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You’re right.... I was going off of tire size.com they’re usually pretty accurate but yes the manufacture website is the way to go.

Supposedly Toyo fixed the wet weather and ride issue with the new rubber compound of the AT3 versus the old AT2. I also was not a fan of the AT2

I know I personally loathed the AT2 tires, and had the new Rebel come with Toyo AT2s? I would have changed them out before leaving the lot immediately. I didn't trust the wet traction.

The AT3 is supposed to be a redesign with that in mind specifically.
It's got a 3PMSF rating too for severe snow, changing the rubber compound probably had a lot to do with that.

What's tough is that unless I'm off on this, that new AT3 came out right around the COVID **** started in March/April.
Basically nobody has had this tire for years, 50,000 miles, through several winters, etc.

But I might be a guinea pig here.
I was looking for a 295/70/R18 tire, but the Falkens seemed pretty heavy. These might be an alternative.

Musky mike

Reaction score
I have a 2020 limited (eco) with ORP, no lift or level, not much towing involved either. Preferred the 3.92 gears also as wanted to go bigger in tire size. Did quite a bit of research as any bigger size falls into LT 10 ply category and weight penalties of at least 10 LB per tire. In addition, bigger than 275 meant larger contact patches and loss of MPG (The reason I wanted to stay with 275). Noise is also a concern since I do long distance and can't stand drone in the cab. Only two tires that I could find that remain close to the 49LB per tire for Falken WP ie Nitto Terry Grappler G2 P275/65-20 (47.7lb) and Nokian Rotivva AT Plus (52lb, LT tire). The 275-65 is a 2 inch bump to original size and no rubbing etc. This also effectively reduces Axle ratio to 3.7, much more desirable for both power and efficiency for my needs. Ended with Nitto, nice quiet ride and no differences in experience. MPG on same route, mix of country and interstate was about 1MPG better. Calibrated via Rough Country and speedometer is smack on, used the height with truck weight and 34psi. Hope this helps anyone trying to go this route. I will have some pics loaded later.
I'm glad I found this post, I have a 2019 Bighorn with the ORP and 3.92 gears. I searched for a ORP/3.92/tow package because I knew I wanted to go with taller tires when the stock ones wore out. I want to go with the Nitto Grappler (4 ply) 275/65R20 to maintain stock ride, MPG and not level the front end. This will give me a little more clearance for the rutted logging roads I drive during hunting season and maintain the stock ride. I looked at some of the other 275/65R20, but they are all 10 ply and I think they would ride stiffer and loose MPG. Where did you get your tires at? The cheapest I can find the Grapplers is $262 (4ply).

buffalobill

Reaction score
You really should look at Cooper cooper AT3 LTX 275/55 20 10 ply quiet 60000 tread wear good riding great looking

Bobbybob

Reaction score
I just switched to a 285/65r20 on mine last night...the Falken WP AT3W and could not be happier. Time will tell on some of these other items like mpg and such. But initial impression is super positive...aggressive enough for trails, quiet enough for highway, and comfy for road trips.

Few pics.
BD2B87FB-378F-4D0F-BC58-187DD3EEB2AF.jpeg
EE7A3D4E-03A5-48A5-977F-5FBC344103D6.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread