5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Experience with 275/65-20 with 3.92 gears

zchamber

Reaction score
I have a 2020 limited (eco) with ORP, no lift or level, not much towing involved either. Preferred the 3.92 gears also as wanted to go bigger in tire size. Did quite a bit of research as any bigger size falls into LT 10 ply category and weight penalties of at least 10 LB per tire. In addition, bigger than 275 meant larger contact patches and loss of MPG (The reason I wanted to stay with 275). Noise is also a concern since I do long distance and can't stand drone in the cab. Only two tires that I could find that remain close to the 49LB per tire for Falken WP ie Nitto Terry Grappler G2 P275/65-20 (47.7lb) and Nokian Rotivva AT Plus (52lb, LT tire). The 275-65 is a 2 inch bump to original size and no rubbing etc. This also effectively reduces Axle ratio to 3.7, much more desirable for both power and efficiency for my needs. Ended with Nitto, nice quiet ride and no differences in experience. MPG on same route, mix of country and interstate was about 1MPG better. Calibrated via Rough Country and speedometer is smack on, used the height with truck weight and 34psi. Hope this helps anyone trying to go this route. I will have some pics loaded later.

rotts4u

Reaction score
thanks for the info and yes I would like to see pics. Do you have air suspension?

Grimson

Reaction score
Great post! I have the 3.92 gear also but tow a heavy TT. The stock Dueller are not LT tires so I’m very interested in the 10-ply towing advantage but good lord I don’t want tire noise...I’m amazed at the sound from some of these fat tire trucks and Jeeps on the Highway!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zchamber

Reaction score
Here are the pics, if you wish some other views let me know!

Rotts4u: Yes all Limiteds have air suspension so ORP plus air suspension

Grimson: I understand what you mean and if I was mudding these days would have to bear with noise also. But all LT tires are not made the same and to get the correct weight you have to go to manufacturer website (discount tire and tire rack are not always correct). They can differ by 10+lb between the lightest and heaviest and that can be a huge difference on mileage. The Nitto I picked already topped the load rating of Falken WP by 200 lbs so I am ok. As long as the weight ratings are north of your OE and you are not going to get in situations where payload is exceeded, one should be fine. The reason I don't intend to tow with this Limited is its payload is a measly 1050lbs. By the time I put family and stuff in it, not much left for the tongue weight for anything I have to tow.

Attachments

• back.jpg
    back.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 717
  • front 2.jpg
    front 2.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 717
  • front.jpg
    front.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 689

zchamber

Reaction score
forgot to add that the height of truck including the fin up top is almost 82 inches now!

NJC1684

Reaction score
Here are the pics, if you wish some other views let me know!

Rotts4u: Yes all Limiteds have air suspension so ORP plus air suspension

Grimson: I understand what you mean and if I was mudding these days would have to bear with noise also. But all LT tires are not made the same and to get the correct weight you have to go to manufacturer website (discount tire and tire rack are not always correct). They can differ by 10+lb between the lightest and heaviest and that can be a huge difference on mileage. The Nitto I picked already topped the load rating of Falken WP by 200 lbs so I am ok. As long as the weight ratings are north of your OE and you are not going to get in situations where payload is exceeded, one should be fine. The reason I don't intend to tow with this Limited is its payload is a measly 1050lbs. By the time I put family and stuff in it, not much left for the tongue weight for anything I have to tow.

How tall does the tire measure installed on the truck?

zchamber

Reaction score
NJC 1684: its 33.25 inch with 34psi, height from manufacturer is 34.09 inches. Falken WP was close to 31 inches (35psi) whereas height specs from manufacturer 31.9 inches.

NJC1684

Reaction score
another pic outside shows the side profile much better than in garage

That looks great! I went w/ the 275/60 due to the cost savings but am regretting it now. At the time I was looking heavily at the 285/60 & have have since decided I want something (marketed) closer to 34". Thanks for the info.

Last edited:

zchamber

Reaction score
The only thing I can comment is that your gearing would go almost below 3, truck may want to remain in 6-7 gears on hwy a lot. My truck is doing 75 under 2k rpm, a drop of over 200rpm...something I wanted. The P version Nitto were actually 20% cheaper than LT versions just FYI.

NJC1684

Reaction score
The only thing I can comment is that your gearing would go almost below 3, truck may want to remain in 6-7 gears on hwy a lot. My truck is doing 75 under 2k rpm, a drop of over 200rpm...something I wanted. The P version Nitto were actually 20% cheaper than LT versions just FYI.

Yeah, it would put me right at about 3. Unfortunately it was the one sacrifice I had to make w/o spending another 3k plus on other features I didn't want, I was sick of searching. I plan to live with what I got for now, & at the time wanted the LT's for whatever reason. I thought it was crazy that these were $200 cheaper than a set of the Falken's that were only a 1/2" taller & wider.

fwankie

Reaction score
Now you've got me wondering about whatever formula you used to calculate all of this. I've been looking at this size also (with 3.92's), but with something more aggressive. I don't mind road noise, and I do use it to hit the trails every now and then. I was looking at the Nitto Ridge Grappler's (275/65/20 E Load), which come in at around 61 lbs per tire (up from my 48 lb Falkens).

NJC1684

Reaction score
Now you've got me wondering about whatever formula you used to calculate all of this. I've been looking at this size also (with 3.92's), but with something more aggressive. I don't mind road noise, and I do use it to hit the trails every now and then. I was looking at the Nitto Ridge Grappler's (275/65/20 E Load), which come in at around 61 lbs per tire (up from my 48 lb Falkens).

~3.65

zchamber

Reaction score

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So you did the P version of the G2's, right? I was thinking of these for my truck as well. It was the tallest P tire I could find. I really didn't want to go to the LT tires because of the weight and the harsh ride.

So they are quiet?

zchamber

Reaction score
Mike-ct: Yes these as stated are the P275/65-20 G2 Terra Grappler Nitto. Happy with ride, quiet and comfortable, mileage has actually increased as this is lighter tire and my axle ratio also dropped. I had the same issues trying not to go to LT tires with 8-10 ply weight and ride penalties when I am on asphalt more than 90% of times.

zchamber

Reaction score
Just to add, only $225 per tire so a lot less hurt on the pocket.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mike-ct: Yes these as stated are the P275/65-20 G2 Terra Grappler Nitto. Happy with ride, quiet and comfortable, mileage has actually increased as this is lighter tire and my axle ratio also dropped. I had the same issues trying not to go to LT tires with 8-10 ply weight and ride penalties when I am on asphalt more than 90% of times.
That’s great news. Your truck looks fantastic that size is a great option. I really wanted the p275-65 -20 g2s but i was hesitant and kind of talkies myself into just another set of Bridgestones in 275-60. Your experience made up my mind to go with the bigger g2s.

Deezl

Reaction score
So, that means that, by switching from my stock 22's to the Rebel 18's my effective final drive is this? No wonder I've been smoking so many cars!
5f958b14adce193978b2d555686132ac.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread