5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Carvana Experience on a 2020 Ram Big Horn Sport

Grover70

Reaction score
Good evening all,

Not here to whine about my experience these last two months with my '20 Ram Big Horn purchased on Carvana. Just to ask for some of your insights.
I had ridden in a few Ram 1500 and 2500 owned by friends and I felt the overall quality and ride was superior to my F150. The finish of the F150 wasn't impressive. The paint was peeling, the cam phasers had to be replaced, and the dashboard was warped from the sun. So, I just felt it was time to move on since Ford wasn't supporting the truck, even under extended warranty.

I traded in my '18 F-150 STX with 73k miles for a '20 Ram Big Horn 4WD with 100k miles. Single owner, no accidents. The purchase experience with Carvana was easy. From the process of the purchase on the app to the delivery day, only one hiccup was a late delivery. No big deal. I was very impressed with the truck on arrival. The 5.7 Hemi purred. Yay....5.7 L V8! Clean, no smell, everything worked.

One day I noticed the right rear quarter panel had been re-painted. So, I told Carvana I was concerned about un-reported accident. They told me to take it an authorized mechanic and have it re-inspected. I also noticed the front and rear tires did not match. New tires on the rear. The paint was an excellent match so it went under the radar. The inspection did not discover any damage or replaced parts. Phew! But they went further and found a cracked exhaust manifold. So, they were going to replace both of the manifolds when they saw some dried up coolant around the head gasket. They remove a bolt and coolant poured out. Head gasket...
Meineke could not do that kind of engine work so I took it to another mechanic that same day.

Note: Funny thing was, the engine RPMs dipped and rose three times and then leveled out the day before I took it in to the mechanic! Coincidence? The engine also never ran too hot or cold here in the hot Georgia summer.

My warranty is covering everything, they have been easy to work with and the claim is still open. My deductible is only $100. They are going to have two mechanics do a full inspection on Monday and call me with the results.

What are your thoughts on the truck's prognosis after they do the exhaust manifolds and the head gasket...and maybe the headers? Is there the potential to find damage to the cylinders? Could the block be damaged? I'd like to know what questions to ask and what to ask them to look for before I have them finish the work and turn it back over to me. The mechanics are ASE qualified and the shop has an excellent reputation.

Thanks for reading!

Users who are viewing this thread