5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

my 2021 Ram 1500 Big Horn Air Conditioning

dixx639M

Reaction score
There is a long thread on Ram A/C performance and I wanted to add mine. I have a 2021 Big Horn quad cab with dual zone climate, and have dialed it down to "LO" on both side, along with RECIRC engaged. On 90 degree days the coldest vent temp on driver and center was 50 degrees, and felt marginal at best. Took it the dealer and they said it was absolutely, perfectly normal. I installed the 3/4" pex ball valve on the outbound line from the water pump as many others have tried., with no cutting or permanent modifications. At first, I set the valve to 1/2 open, and it quickly brought the temp down to 45. I then tried fully closed and it went to 40 and felt pretty darn good. I have driven quite a few miles with valve fully closed, carefully watching temps and checking under hood for any hoses bulging or anything amiss, and can find no problem. My truck was built 3/21 and only has 2500 miles, so it should be up to the latest specs. So in closing, the valve did bring my temps down to what other vehicles are and is now quite comfortable at 90 or more degree days. I am sold on this homegrown solution to such poor AC on a $50K vehicle!

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The AC in my Limited works great. We had triple digit temps a couple weeks ago and I was impressed with how cool my cab was. Definitely out performs the AC I had on my previous Ram (2020 Laramie). Glad to hear the modification is working for you. I'm just wondering why you made a new thread for this. Multiple threads on the same subject will bring up excessive results on a search. Which makes it more difficult for people to get answers to their problems.

HandyCruiser

Reaction score
There is a long thread on Ram A/C performance and I wanted to add mine. I have a 2021 Big Horn quad cab with dual zone climate, and have dialed it down to "LO" on both side, along with RECIRC engaged. On 90 degree days the coldest vent temp on driver and center was 50 degrees, and felt marginal at best. Took it the dealer and they said it was absolutely, perfectly normal. I installed the 3/4" pex ball valve on the outbound line from the water pump as many others have tried., with no cutting or permanent modifications. At first, I set the valve to 1/2 open, and it quickly brought the temp down to 45. I then tried fully closed and it went to 40 and felt pretty darn good. I have driven quite a few miles with valve fully closed, carefully watching temps and checking under hood for any hoses bulging or anything amiss, and can find no problem. My truck was built 3/21 and only has 2500 miles, so it should be up to the latest specs. So in closing, the valve did bring my temps down to what other vehicles are and is now quite comfortable at 90 or more degree days. I am sold on this homegrown solution to such poor AC on a $50K vehicle!

Glad that worked for you. We just bought a new Laramie. It's an early production 2021 made in September 2020. Had 10 miles on it when we got it. It now has almost 1,500 miles. The AC works about the same as in our last two Dodge Chargers. When we first start the truck on a hot day, it blows hot air and doesn't seem to cool off much. But as soon as we start moving, it cools down nicely even with the cover on the panoramic roof open. Our older Mopar vehicles (2006 and 2003) don't do the hot air thing until moving. Nor did our 2011 or 2014 Chrysler 300S cars. It started in the 2017 Charger R/T and has continued with the two newer vehicles. We didn't own a 2019 or 2020 Ram, so we never experienced an AC system that wouldn't cool at ll on a hot day.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread