5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My 2020 Laramie w/ 5k miles died on me yesterday...

SNAFU88

Reaction score
Yesterday I was stopped on a busy road behind a school bus. The start/stop feature activated and the truck shut off as it normally does. I hit the button to de-activate the start/stop and a loud "spark" sound occurred. Sounded like an electrical outlet spark or surge. Truck died immediately, no power at all. Could not even activate the hazard lights. Truck was dead in the water for 15 mins or so. I was out directing traffic around me during that time. Got back in the truck and now the dash display was back on as normal. I hit the brake and was able to start the truck. Moved it off the road and into a driveway where it died again. I was able to get it started again but the check engine light was on and a burning smell filled the cabin. In addition, the Harmon Kardon stereo system was dead, no sound at all. Had the truck towed home and it's being towed to the dealer today.

ANYBODY ever experience anything remotely similar?

Brisoup1

Reaction score
No, but obviously sounds serious. I would make sure they give you a detailed description on what caused it and what they did to repair it, and insist the burning smell is completely removed from the cabin upon return to you.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Yesterday I was stopped on a busy road behind a school bus. The start/stop feature activated and the truck shut off as it normally does. I hit the button to de-activate the start/stop and a loud "spark" sound occurred. Sounded like an electrical outlet spark or surge. Truck died immediately, no power at all. Could not even activate the hazard lights. Truck was dead in the water for 15 mins or so. I was out directing traffic around me during that time. Got back in the truck and now the dash display was back on as normal. I hit the brake and was able to start the truck. Moved it off the road and into a driveway where it died again. I was able to get it started again but the check engine light was on and a burning smell filled the cabin. In addition, the Harmon Kardon stereo system was dead, no sound at all. Had the truck towed home and it's being towed to the dealer today.

Wow. That stinks.
Agree with @Brisoup1. Ensure the dealer does a thorough diagnostics and see if they can figure out what happened.

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you're in the US make sure to file a NHTSA complaint.

SNAFU88

Reaction score
If you're in the US make sure to file a NHTSA complaint.
What, exactly, would the complaint specify? I mean, I don't have a clue what the problem is and there's no evidence of negligence.

Brisoup1

Reaction score
What, exactly, would the complaint specify? I mean, I don't have a clue what the problem is and there's no evidence of negligence.
A burning smell would indicate something is about to catch on fire. It is definitely a NHTSA recordable incident.

Miked513

Reaction score

2020 Ram won’t start
[/URL]

Check out the issue I had, maybe yours is in the same boat? Whats not noted in this post is they eventually had to replace my starter but now it is running great. I’ve added about another 10k trouble free miles since. I think the starter was a casualty of all the arcing from trying to start the truck over and over and over...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Miked513

Reaction score
Not sure why the link didn’t come through, looks like just the title. I will try this again but if it fails you can at least search that topic and it will come up.

2020 Ram won’t start https://r.tap...n’t-start.24030/&share_type=t&link_source=app

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread