5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My 2019 RAM 1500 and why you SHOULD buy a RAM.

HKP7PSP

Reaction score
I am editing my original message to reflect some updates to my story, but I am leaving my overall experience with the truck for an honest assessment.

My 2019 RAM 1500 has been one of the most difficult vehicle experiences I've ever had. I had a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit before, and my wife has a 2017 Jeep Wrangler. My father has a 2020 RAM ProMaster RV. We have enjoyed our MOPAR/Chrysler/Stellantis vehicles. My wife is also looking to get something a little more family friendly soon, along the lines of a Grand Cherokee or Durango.

I purchased my truck new in February of 2019, and the problems soon began. Within 4 months, the dreaded driveshaft "bump" upon coming to a stop began. It took RAM over a YEAR and 3 visits to keep trying new things, including a new driveshaft, greasing the driveshaft and even replacing it a second time. It STILL has this problem. It re-emerges within a thousand miles or so of a repair and still happens to this day. I've come to accept that it's just how the design operates - it is essentially a 3-piece driveshaft with two slip joints (Long Bed + Crew Cab). For my troubles, I was given an extended warranty with a $200 deductible.

The next problem I had was with the plastic surround of the rear window. It cracked and began to leak, which was fixed under the 3/36 warranty.

By the fall of 2021, I started hearing and smelling an exhaust leak. I looked behind the driver side exhaust manifold heat shield and saw a small crack. I brought this to the attention of my dealer, who "could not verify" the crack because they refused to pull back the heat shield and actually look for it. I was at 57k miles then, still within the Powertrain warranty. I am now at 65k miles, the problem got worse, and the dealer was able to find - surprise - a CRACK in my driver side exhaust manifold. So, I asked for RAM to consider waiving the deductible on the extended warranty because I did what I should and brought it in under the factory warranty for this exact issue. The dealer had no success in getting RAM to waive it, but suggested I seek reimbursement. The RAM Customer Service team denied this reimbursement request. I didn't even ask for the loaner vehicle to be reimbursed, even though that also came partially out of my own pocket - I wanted to remain reasonable. I only asked for the deductible of $200 to be reimbursed.

After reaching out to a few more people, Stellantis Corporate has taken an interest in my case and looks to be doing the right thing. THIS is the experience I am accustomed to with RAM, and why I've fervently recommended Mopar vehicles to all my family and friends.

I'm 31 years old and an automobile enthusiast. I have many more cars left to buy. Despite some of my negative experiences with the truck, I can assure you that this will NOT be the last MOPAR vehicle that I or my family will buy. As I've said in later replies to this thread, I understand that every single man-made product can and will have issues. We aren't perfect, our creations aren't perfect. What I assess my experience on is how I'm treated when those problems happen. Since being contacted by Stellantis directly, I can tell you that there are many great people working for the company that care about the customer.

This is why you should buy a RAM.

Last edited:

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You've had it in enough to probably qualify for lemon law, just do it, file the notice and make them buy you a new truck. As long as ANY factory warranty exists you can file.

They don't care about goodwill only money, so cost them money.

HKP7PSP

Reaction score
I've had 4 Rams with my current '22 Limited Night Edition. Love them all with only minor issues like every manufacturer.
It's not that I expect there to be no issues. Every man-made product will have issues. What I expect is for a company to do the right thing by their customer, especially loyal ones, when these problems occur.

byebyebowtie

Reaction score
You've had it in enough to probably qualify for lemon law, just do it, file the notice and make them buy you a new truck. As long as ANY factory warranty exists you can file.

and with the current delay and cost of replacement parts they are very quick to lemon things out. My parents just got every single penny they paid for a VW Atlas over the last two years because it had so many issues.

Sal731

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I highly doubt that Chevy ford Toyota Nissan or any other manufacturer would wave a deductible. Same thing with car insurance. Health insurance. Or any type of anything that has a deductible.

HKP7PSP

Reaction score
I highly doubt that Chevy ford Toyota Nissan or any other manufacturer would wave a deductible. Same thing with car insurance. Health insurance. Or any type of anything that has a deductible.
Normally I wouldn't even ask, but given that I brought the vehicle in under the normal warranty for this exact issue and it was not addressed, it does not seem unreasonable to ask for reimbursement in this case. Don't be obtuse.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score

a 2019 with 57k miles is likely way outside of qualifying as a lemon. most qualify within 2 yrs

HKP7PSP

Reaction score
a 2019 with 57k miles is likely way outside of qualifying as a lemon. most qualify within 2 yrs
This is correct. I should've done it with the driveshaft problem when I had the chance. Thankfully, the equity I have in it makes it easy to get rid of.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Sorry to hear you had to deal with that. Sounds like you got a lemon and it should be handled as such.

In the last 10 years I had two Laramies with a combined 230,000 miles and were by far the most reliable vehicles I have ever owned. Neither one was ever in the shop for any issues other than the few very minor recalls they had. I did all my own oil changes, brakes and other required maintenance. Never wasted a single minute of my time in the service department for repairs or anything else. Basically put gas in them and drove the heck out of them for 10 years.

I wouldn’t give up after one bad one. Go buy that TRX and have fun with it.

HKP7PSP

Reaction score
Sorry to hear you had to deal with that. Sounds like you got a lemon and it should be handled as such.

In the last 10 years I had two Laramies with a combined 230,000 miles and were by far the most reliable vehicles I have ever owned. Neither one was ever in the shop for any issues other than the few very minor recalls they had. I did all my own oil changes, brakes and other required maintenance. Never wasted a single minute of my time in the service department for repairs or anything else. Basically put gas in them and drove the heck out of them for 10 years.

I wouldn’t give up after one bad one. Go buy that TRX and have fun with it.
Thank you my friend. I've generally had very good luck with Mopar vehicles and customer service, which is why I've convinced my family into buying them.

The Hemi in my Jeep went 100k before I got rid of it for the RAM, and did not have the exhaust leak issue either.

byebyebowtie

Reaction score
keep in mind anything right now is Covid built. And if you think the quality of your 19 is bad you have a whole new thing coming for you on these new builds.

Reaction score
I've had 4 Rams with my current '22 Limited Night Edition. Love them all with only minor issues like every manufacturer.
I'm looking at a Delmonico Red Night addition, cool look. Anyway real question is how is the A/C in the 2022?

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
You bought a first year model of a new generation. Issues are to be expected.

Go on the gm forums and look at the issues the 2014 and 2019 trucks had/having.

My 2008 gm had transmissions issues when it was newer. My 2015 gm had weird audio issues. My 2017 gm had its entire brake system replaced before 1k miles. (Dealer tried to blame my lift even though I had pics of the issues I found before installing the lift)

My 2020 Subaru had all the wheel bearings and tires replaced before 20k. (Dealer didn’t want to warranty this work, had to start a case)

Literally go on any forum and you will see issues, the new tundra and f150 are no exception.

This is what good warranties are for. There is no perfect brand.

People who say don’t ever buy brand X because it’s a bad brand, but instead buy brand Y, are just near sighted. You could make this exact same thread title on any brand forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Sorry to hear it man, it sucks when things suck, and you got a lemon there, a mixture of a badly built truck and a dealer who couldn't fix it properly put you in that situation.

That being said, I don't think it applies to the majority of RAMs. I'm highly critical of my vehicles and my 2019 Rebel has been my favorite vehicle of all time, currently. It's been flawless and I honestly haven't been back to the dealer since I took delivery. The best ownership experience I've had, and this is my first RAM.

But I cringe at the idea of ever visiting a Stellantis/FCA dealership one day. Just trying to get an oil change and recall floor mat wanted me to pull what little hair I have on my head. I know now why FCA dealership network has the lowest satisfaction scores of any US dealership network, and I haven't had a problem with the truck yet. From what I gather they have sold more vehicles that their dealer network is prepared to service. So they turn small problems into big ones by the lack of service, attention to detail, etc.

ChrisID

Reaction score
I agree with other posters that you should lemon it. My '20 and '21 have been surprisingly great with the small exception of the 'driveline bump' on my '20 that I haven't had time to bring in yet, but it is relatively minor annoyance. I am so enjoying these 2 Ram's compared to my countless GM's and couple fords that I would even except more ram problems, but they haven't happened (yet?).
Coming from GM's for 30 years I had many 1st year GM 1500-2500 pickups and Burbans (15? total, maybe 5-6 of them first year), and they had many issues too. Some pretty bad, like my 2007 first year 6sp was a disaster which they could never fix even with 3 puter updates, traded on an 09 and it was better but still not great. '06 2500 crew that had a nasty frame resonance that couldn't be fixed, traded within a year. I had learned that it was a design flaw (was fixed by GM later. '14 (finally the 6sp was fixed by now), but the headlights were literally candles that could not be driven at night (seriously), eventually fixed 6-9 months later, my wife's '10 burb 6sp couldn't figure out how to shift, never fixed, the first years 6.0L had piston slap issues that sounded like the engine was going to grenade at startup (extended warranty offered and taken, it never grenaded, but was eventually quietly fixed/redesigned by GM, and a great engine), major oil consumption problems on my couple 8.1L's never fixed (great engine but a qt every 500-1000m if loaded heavy, etc.....

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is correct. I should've done it with the driveshaft problem when I had the chance. Thankfully, the equity I have in it makes it easy to get rid of.
You had a failure in warranty that wasn't corrected, regardless the powertrain is 5yr 100,000 miles. You can keep filing and the clock is stopped there. I lemon lawed a Volt at 46,000 miles. Being beyond bumper to bumper doesn't matter, as long as any warranty existed and you had it repaired and it failed you are golden. FILE.

HKP7PSP

Reaction score
I appreciate everyone's comments on this. I really like the truck, even given the issues it's had and that it's required the most attention of all the vehicle's I've owned, especially within this mileage. I looked at GM, Ford and Toyota before buying this and it was (and still is) lightyears nicer than any of those were. I know anything man-made is prone to have issues, and that other brands are equal to or even worse with some of the quality aspects.

My disappointment is ultimately from the response I'm getting right now, as up until this point, Stellantis/FCA/RAM have been great to work with and always took care of me. I started my career working in customer service, and my philosophy has always been to support the customer when they have problems, because there will always be problems.

RamRamBamBam

Reaction score
My disappointment is ultimately from the response I'm getting right now, as up until this point, Stellantis/FCA/RAM have been great to work with and always took care of me. I started my career working in customer service, and my philosophy has always been to support the customer when they have problems, because there will always be problems.

Sadly, it seems customer service (along with practically every other good thing in society) went out the window as soon as they introduced the scamdemic. No one really cares about anything, employee moral is at an all-time low (if companies can even find employees), and now to top it off companies are nervous because the Brandon economy is tanking and in my estimation we'll be in a full blown recession within 5 months.

Surprised you even were able to get someone on the phone.

Literally every company I've dealt with has been an absolute nightmare the last ~2 years.

Welcome to the future.

Try to focus on the positive things- at least Fauci is wealthier than he'd ever imagined.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online