5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My 2019 Fifth generation ram steering wheel will not turn .

Rommel

Reaction score
I have a fifth generation ram 1500 quad cab four-wheel-drive 5.7 Regular suspension with 300 miles on it. It was in a rollover accident. It’s a mostly sheet metal damage . The seat and curtain bags deployed. The frame and suspension all appear fine the wheels appear straight . The truck sat about three months so the battery ran completely dead. The truck was flat bedded to my house. Under the steering wheel behind a Small plastic cover there was a small lever with a orange strap attached to it that i noticed Was pulled out. When we initially jumpstarted the truck it would run a short while and then cut off when we try to put it in gear we also noticed the steering wheel would not move . We pushed that lever back in place and the truck was able to go into gear and keep running but it still would not steer so to get it off the flatbed. After hours of screwing around with this we decided the only way to get it off flatbed was to remove the two large bolts going through the electric steering motor and the rack and pinion. Then two guys I either side of the two front steering wheels would manually turned them so we could roll the truck off the flatbed. I bought some wheel dollies put it under the front wheels and we pushed it into my carport, Slowly charged the battery back to full capacity. But I’m still not able to turn the steering wheels when I start the truck. I need to fix the steering so I could send the truck to a Friends body shop. There is no insurance to fix the damages. I’ve noticed a lot of very smart mechanically inclined and possibly engineers share an amazing amount of knowledge here. Thank-you for any help

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
that orange strap was to put the vehicle in Neutral to be able to move it after a wreck and no battery.

since the steering it electronic, I'd suggest you start there -- battery 90%+, fuses, electric steering assist motor, etc.
there are a lot of electronic control modules on these new rigs, and you may need to chase down the wiring to see if it just happens to be a connector popped off too.

Users who are viewing this thread