5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mutli-function tailgate survey

Having the MF tailgate....

• Love it! Would order it again

Votes: 13 86.7%
  • It's ok, I'm on the fence...not sure if I'd get it again

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Dislike it, will not be ordering MF tailgate again

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

dannydyn

Reaction score
To all MF tailgate owners, what are your thoughts of it after a few weeks/months of ownership? (also including a poll at the top ^^)

1. Do you like it? regret getting it? Why?
2. Any issues? fit and finish, functionality, etc.?

Last edited:

daze513

Reaction score
After 1 week with my truck, I can honestly say it’s been what has most positively impacted my daily use coming from my 4th gen.

My truck is more family hauler than anything and not having to reach over the lowered tailgate to reach the actual cargo area has been what I like most about it. Baby strollers, grocery bags, shopping bags, tool boxes... all get put in and out easier for me.

The fit and finish has been great, the opening and closing action hasn’t failed once... just can’t say good enough things about it.

Edit: missed point 2

plucas

Reaction score
1. I love it and do not regret it at all. It is my favorite aspect of the truck using the bed. I use it way more than the standard lowering of the tailgate. I would have a hard time getting a truck without it now after using it.
2. No issues at all.

Kooch80

Reaction score
only issue I have is with the brackets in the front of the bed in regards to putting on a tonneau cover. They are usefull as a tie down point though. I would still get the MFT if I had the choice.

daze513

Reaction score
only issue I have is with the brackets in the front of the bed in regards to putting on a tonneau cover. They are usefull as a tie down point though. I would still get the MFT if I had the choice.

I have those brackets and I agree with the tonneau cover comment.

Are those brackets for bed rigidity or just part of the MFT as additional tie downs?

saxapl

Reaction score
I have owned mine since June. No issues with the bed. I put a topper on and took the corner braces off. No issue with rigidity, but I assume the topper adds a significant amount of strength.

Since purchase I may have dropped the tailgate in the traditional sense maybe 5 times. Almost all of the time I use the barn doors. Works great with Decked system.

If I had to gripe it would be that you have to slam the gate pretty good on closing to make sure it is closed properly. Not a big deal, but it takes some force.

Millertime157

Reaction score
1. I have had mine for about a month. I absolutely love it. I have a black lab that rides in the bed and it lowers the entry height for her and she uses the bumper as a step to get in. Seems to be much easier on her as she doesn't need a running start like she did with the gen 4 I traded. Hopefully easier on her joints long term too. Also easier for everyday access to stuff in the bed. I also rarely use the tailgate in the traditional fashion. Wouldn't order one without it now.

2. Zero issues. Still early though. I haven't had to slam mine like the above comment but it doesn't have any dirt or dust in it yet. Still new. If one of them is going to mess up it will be mine. It's a 2019 model so it had to have been one of the earliest trucks that had it. Majority of the MFTs you see are on 2020 models.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have owned mine since June. No issues with the bed. I put a topper on and took the corner braces off. No issue with rigidity, but I assume the topper adds a significant amount of strength.

Since purchase I may have dropped the tailgate in the traditional sense maybe 5 times. Almost all of the time I use the barn doors. Works great with Decked system.

If I had to gripe it would be that you have to slam the gate pretty good on closing to make sure it is closed properly. Not a big deal, but it takes some force.
Just spitballing here, but is it possible you have to slam it because you removed the braces?

Kooch80

Reaction score
Just spitballing here, but is it possible you have to slam it because you removed the braces?
doubt it. I have the braces on still, slamming is basically a must. it really isn't that hard of a slam in my opinion. just has to be shut harder than would think is necessary.

saxapl

Reaction score
No, it acts the same as it did with the braces. I agree with the above comment...maybe slam was too harsh. It must be closed with more force than I would expect to be necessary. However, I think that is seems excessive because you are closing it horizontally. If you think about closing a tailgate vertically, it take a “slam” to get it closed. I was just comparing the tailgate to a cab door. It takes more to close than a typical driver’s door.

MilehighRam

Reaction score
I didnt initially like the look of the "butt crack" on the tailgate, and honestly would have ordered it without. After a few weeks of ownership, I came to really appreciate it and would happily order one on my next truck. only issue i have (sounds like others too) is you have to slam it pretty hard or you get a light on in the dash saying its open or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online