5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MUST have for changing dreaded oil filter!!

jlanc20

Reaction score
I picked up these square drive socket caps on amazon i believe and thought id give them a try when loosening or snugging up my oil filter. I usually only go hand tight but even that can be a pain with the location of the oil filter on these trucks. Just tried it out and it worked like a charm! Figured id post some photos of them to help anyone out that has trouble with them. 20211108_152407.jpg

Attachments

• 20211108_152418.jpg
    20211108_152418.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 185
  • 20211108_152839.jpg
    20211108_152839.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 185

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Another easy option, but a filter with the aviation type end nut
cb7ed1cc40534afc301bfe1dffdb2ebd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Pffft.....who needs an oil filter, just bypass with a hose. LOL

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just put a bigger filter over the old one. Less mess.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I found that the filter is only an issue for the first one, and only if you change it cold. Getting my truck to temp, waiting 15 minutes and doing the oil change, I found the original factory filter easy to remove.

After that, you should only be hand tightening the filters, and they should be a piece of cake to remove on future oil changes.

e55amg2

Reaction score
SRT oil filter here, through the front. No wrench needed to loosen...mainly to keep from searing your hands on the 220 degree oil filter

tech97elec

Reaction score
I found that the filter is only an issue for the first one, and only if you change it cold. Getting my truck to temp, waiting 15 minutes and doing the oil change, I found the original factory filter easy to remove.

After that, you should only be hand tightening the filters, and they should be a piece of cake to remove on future oil changes.
Every new vehicle of any type that ive ever bought has this first time "factory" issue.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My Honda Pilot ('03, 300k+ miles right now) had an impossibly tight oil drain plug when I first got it. I was literally racking it up on the suspension trying to loosen it with a 2' breaker bar. I finally said "uncle" and brought it in. They got it loose...but it leaked from then on. (Yep, I had it noted, and then had them fix it by replacing the engine lower cover. Honda Pilots don't have a "pan": it is the entire bottom to the engine. Go figure...)

No idea how or why the factory tightened that one so much, but they did. Sometimes it is worth it to let the dealer tech fight the first fight.

FWIW.

gHiDoRa

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My Honda Pilot ('03, 300k+ miles right now) had an impossibly tight oil drain plug when I first got it. I was literally racking it up on the suspension trying to loosen it with a 2' breaker bar. I finally said "uncle" and brought it in. They got it loose...but it leaked from then on. (Yep, I had it noted, and then had them fix it by replacing the engine lower cover. Honda Pilots don't have a "pan": it is the entire bottom to the engine. Go figure...)

No idea how or why the factory tightened that one so much, but they did. Sometimes it is worth it to let the dealer tech fight the first fight.

FWIW.
dealer did the 1st oil change on mine and i let them did it because it free.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online