5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Music w/ 128GB Flash Drive - SOLUTION!!

ant0064

Reaction score
After a couple days of racking my brain and researching, I have found a solution for the high capacity Flash Drive and want to share with you all in case you're having the same issues. Basically, my iPod no longer worked with the new truck and didn't want to buy a new one so bought a flash drive to store all of my music. Well, it didn't work at first and had no idea why. It happened to be a formatting issue...the flash drive I purchased (link below) comes standard in exFAT and it must be converted to FAT32. Some other formats work too I believe but I know for sure FAT32 works. Apparently, with most higher capacity drives, you need to do this...lower capacity drives seem to already formatted in FAT32 or NTFS. How do you reformat to FAT32 you ask? I posted a YouTube link below and if you follow it, it's extremely simple to do.

I haven't moved all 8,500 songs on the drive yet because I'm organizing my library a bit. However it definitely reads it, and sorts by artist, album, etc in a very organized way. I will post an update describing the overall functionality once I have used it for a little while.

I hope this helps some of you! That's what we're here for.

danielle2019

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Good info! I never thought of that. I guess the drive I bought was already in a compatible format and didn’t have to do this step.

danielle2019

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was just hoping to plug it in and call it a day...not so easy lol!
Ooh my OCD wouldn’t allow that! I have meticulously crafted playlists. Had to make sure every song sorts and displays correctly, and had the artwork. I manually edited at least a thousand with an MP3 tag editor.

Also, sort of by necessity. A Uconnect update on my Charger screwed up how files are handled. So regardless of what folder is playing, songs would play alphabetically, not in album order. I had to use tag editors to rename them in such a way that they played in order. (If you’ve ever played a Pink Floyd album, you know order is crucial!)

ant0064

Reaction score
Ooh my OCD wouldn’t allow that! I have meticulously crafted playlists. Had to make sure every song sorts and displays correctly, and had the artwork. I manually edited at least a thousand with an MP3 tag editor.

Also, sort of by necessity. A Uconnect update on my Charger screwed up how files are handled. So regardless of what folder is playing, songs would play alphabetically, not in album order. I had to use tag editors to rename them in such a way that they played in order. (If you’ve ever played a Pink Floyd album, you know order is crucial!)

Same with me. I have everything organized in folders with tagging, artwork, etc. I was hoping to copy it over and it just work like I expected...after I formatted it though it did work just like this. I still have a little organizing to do...most people wouldn't do it but I also have OCD lol. And yes, I get you on the Pink Floyd albums!

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've been running a 320G SSD in my ride and a 128G SD backup it's great when first thing in the morning all radio stations are just talk-talk-talk .. I WANT JAM OUT DURING MY 20 MIN DRIVE! LOL

Tim N.

ant0064

Reaction score
Well, I lied. I thought I had a solution but spoke too soon. The Samsung Fit flash drive worked fine with about 2000 songs, so I figured when I loaded the rest (8000 songs) it would read them. It read none of them except the original 2000 songs I put on. So I deleted everything, and put them back in, and the most I got it to read was 88 songs. Does anyone have a solution for this? Different flash drive? Same one with some other method? I formatted both FAT32 and NTFS, neither works with all my songs.

Also, I got Rocket Player to work with Android Auto, which would solve this problem because all of my music is on my phone, but the safety features are outlandish...can't scroll through your library while driving. Which ironically makes it less safe because I'll just use my phone with bluetooth.

All I want is to be able to scroll through my music on my massive 12", "technologically advanced" screen. Why is this so difficult in 2019 when I could do it with my iPod in my 2014? Frustrating at best.

danielle2019

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think it just takes a really long time to index a massive number of files. I keep about 1000 on my USB, favorites and most listened to play lists. If I want to play something out of my usual rotation, I just hit the voice command on the steering wheel and tell Siri to play that file ;)

ant0064

Reaction score
I think it just takes a really long time to index a massive number of files. I keep about 1000 on my USB, favorites and most listened to play lists. If I want to play something out of my usual rotation, I just hit the voice command on the steering wheel and tell Siri to play that file ;)

That would be fine if it took a while...but even after a couple days of driving short trips, I still have the same number of songs, ie no progress. I'm taking a road trip this weekend, maybe it'll recognize the rest? Who knows lol

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You may have to do what I did after changing songs on mine and reset the uConnect - as scary as it feels at the time, it worked for me. The uConnect stores an index internally so even adding more to that SD or USB, it doesn't "update". I even created a 2nd drive with some of the same music but others as well and it worked, but the 1st one wouldn't (until I reset).

HotHareSpey

Reaction score
This is excellent as I still have thousands of live performances from the limewire days of yore that need to be put on a FD

I consider this music collection my effort at preserving the antiquities from the 60s to the early 2000s

Thanks so much for sharing

ant0064

Reaction score
You may have to do what I did after changing songs on mine and reset the uConnect - as scary as it feels at the time, it worked for me. The uConnect stores an index internally so even adding more to that SD or USB, it doesn't "update". I even created a 2nd drive with some of the same music but others as well and it worked, but the 1st one wouldn't (until I reset).

Thanks...how do you do a reset? Does it default back to all factory settings? So basically you can't add music files to your flash drive and expect it to recognize them, you have to do a UConnect reset...sheesh.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm not sure yet on the 12" someone may need to jump in ..
My 8.4" I can hard reset (which will erase all settings) or soft reset/restart/reboot.

for me :
Hard Reset : Hold Temp Up and Temp Down for at least 5 seconds to access 'hidden menu' .. factory reset
Soft Reset : Press Mute and Browse buttons for around 10 seconds and it will restart the system

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A note about the reset thing. There might be a better way. I remember running into this issue in the past on my 14. If you re-label your volume (drive) to a different name, the system recognizes it as a new volume and will re-index. I got into the habit of renaming my drives by date. If I updated my drive today, I'd name it 062019.

ant0064

Reaction score
A note about the reset thing. There might be a better way. I remember running into this issue in the past on my 14. If you re-label your volume (drive) to a different name, the system recognizes it as a new volume and will re-index. I got into the habit of renaming my drives by date. If I updated my drive today, I'd name it 062019.

So just rename the flash drive from your computer? Man why is this so difficult lol

ant0064

Reaction score
I'm not sure yet on the 12" someone may need to jump in ..
My 8.4" I can hard reset (which will erase all settings) or soft reset/restart/reboot.

for me :
Hard Reset : Hold Temp Up and Temp Down for at least 5 seconds to access 'hidden menu' .. factory reset
Soft Reset : Press Mute and Browse buttons for around 10 seconds and it will restart the system

So the temp up temp down will just access the hidden menu, not actually perform the hard reset?

Users who are viewing this thread