5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Music Files - USB Flash vs. Bluetooth, iPod is Extinct (Android)

ant0064

Reaction score
I'm having some issues with playing music in my truck. The iPod no longer works like it used to in my old truck. So I resorted to purchasing a Samsung Fit Plus Flash Drive...I copied all my music over and put it in USB-1 slot in the truck...figuring it would play, easy enough...wrong. Didn't even recognize it.

My second option is loading all of my songs onto my phone and playing through bluetooth...but I can't actually browse on my 12-inch, "advanced technology luxury" screen. I have to select files from my phone and it does play, but very annoying considering the previous gen had better music technology it appears. Is there any way to be able to browse through my music on the screen, or do I need to select it from my phone if I go this route?

Also, the flash drive would seem very convenient if it actually worked...anyone else figure this out, or are there any tricks/tips?

Thanks!

cra1g

Reaction score
What size is the flash drive? I know my 2014 Jeep could only support 32GB. Not sure if the 2019 Ram will work with bigger drives, but I can confirm that 32GB works just fine with the Ram.

Edit: I actually have 3 32GB flash drives plugged in right now--my music, my wife's music, and my son's music. I can play from any of the three with no problems (other than certain people's taste in music ;))

Last edited:

HotHareSpey

Reaction score
I am guessing you have an iPhone since you have an iPod and most people are brand loyal when it comes to phones or brunettes or blondes or peanut butter or cereal or .... I digress

My pos iPhone which constantly tries to kill itself by jumping out of my hand onto hard surfaces like floors, has more music on it than all of Motown records collection

When I connect it to my super sweet RAM stereo which I thoroughly enjoy thank you so much, it brings up all of my music - all one zillion albums. Which I no longer listen to thanks to Alexa and Sirius radio

My daughters ancient iPod works just fine too and isn’t nearly as suicidal and dysfunctional as my iPhone. Which I hope to feed to a gator some day ...

ant0064

Reaction score
What size is the flash drive? I know my 2014 Jeep could only support 32GB. Not sure if the 2019 Ram will work with bigger drives, but I can confirm that 32GB works just fine with the Ram.

Edit: I actually have 3 32GB flash drives plugged in right now--my music, my wife's music, and my son's music. I can play from any of the three with no problems (other than certain people's taste in music ;))

I bought a 128GB...I have 90GB of music lol. I'm thinking I'm going to have to go the SD card route, and use Amazon Music. Just looking for different options so I can actually shuffle through songs with my gigantic screen instead of my phone. Thanks.

ant0064

Reaction score
I am guessing you have an iPhone since you have an iPod and most people are brand loyal when it comes to phones or brunettes or blondes or peanut butter or cereal or .... I digress

My pos iPhone which constantly tries to kill itself by jumping out of my hand onto hard surfaces like floors, has more music on it than all of Motown records collection

When I connect it to my super sweet RAM stereo which I thoroughly enjoy thank you so much, it brings up all of my music - all one zillion albums. Which I no longer listen to thanks to Alexa and Sirius radio

My daughters ancient iPod works just fine too and isn’t nearly as suicidal and dysfunctional as my iPhone. Which I hope to feed to a gator some day ...

Actually I have an Android believe it or not...S10. How are you connecting your super sweet, suicidal iPhone? Are you using Apple play? I'm not sure Android auto will bring up music in the same way.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don’t have the 12” screen, I have the base 8 non nav and a Samsung S9. Android auto sucks for managing folders, etc. I haven’t been able to figure out how to search, etc. USB flash drive (64GB) works great as does listening to music from my phone via Bluetooth. I can search songs, artists, genres, etc. no problem.

ant0064

Reaction score
I don’t have the 12” screen, I have the base 8 non nav and a Samsung S9. Android auto sucks for managing folders, etc. I haven’t been able to figure out how to search, etc. USB flash drive (64GB) works great as does listening to music from my phone via Bluetooth. I can search songs, artists, genres, etc. no problem.

So you're just storing all of your music on a 64GB flash drive and plugging it into the USB port and it works? Maybe 128GB flash is too big to recognize...it's 2019 though, sheesh.

I guess I'm going to have to move into the future and use bluetooth...which doesn't bother me one bit if I could use my screen to search. The sound quality is actually really good even with youtube videos.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So you're just storing all of your music on a 64GB flash drive and plugging it into the USB port and it works? Maybe 128GB flash is too big to recognize...it's 2019 though, sheesh.

I guess I'm going to have to move into the future and use bluetooth...which doesn't bother me one bit if I could use my screen to search. The sound quality is actually really good even with youtube videos.
Yes, it works fine with a 64 GB.

Originally, when I first got my truck, it had issues. Each time I started my truck, it wouldn’t remember the active song and would always default to the same song over and over again. It would take approximately five minutes to read the USB and then it would work fine. Shut the truck off, even for two seconds, start it back up, and wouldn’t remember the active song, the “default” track would automatically start playing again and it would take five minutes to read the USB. This happened 95% of the time. Occasionally it would actually work as expected.

When I brought it in for the power steering and brake pedal recalls, I had them flash my radio to the latest version, and now it works fine.

Side note, when they flashed my radio, they left my thumb drive plugged in to USB 2 and it got corrupted. My radio would reboot every four minutes with the thumb drive plugged in. Unplug the thumb drive, no issues. Plug it back in, radio reboots every four minutes. Had to delete all my music files and reinstall them. Since then, not one issue. That was back in April.

ant0064

Reaction score
Yes, it works fine with a 64 GB.

Originally, when I first got my truck, it had issues. Each time I started my truck, it wouldn’t remember the active song and would always default to the same song over and over again. It would take approximately five minutes to read the USB and then it would work fine. Shut the truck off, even for two seconds, start it back up, and wouldn’t remember the active song, the “default” track would automatically start playing again and it would take five minutes to read the USB. This happened 95% of the time. Occasionally it would actually work as expected.

When I brought it in for the power steering and brake pedal recalls, I had them flash my radio to the latest version, and now it works fine.

Side note, when they flashed my radio, they left my thumb drive plugged in to USB 2 and it got corrupted. My radio would reboot every four minutes with the thumb drive plugged in. Unplug the thumb drive, no issues. Plug it back in, radio reboots every four minutes. Had to delete all my music files and reinstall them. Since then, not one issue. That was back in April.

Oh so maybe I'm not leaving it in long enough. Although you expect things to be automatic or close to it nowadays. I'll have them flash my radio next time I take it in, but it was built in April 2019 so not sure if that matters. Thanks for the pointers.

ant0064

Reaction score
Does anyone know what devices are supported? For example when I plug my iPod in it says device not supported. It's an older one but it's not ancient. Will a new iPod work or some other similar product?

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Oh so maybe I'm not leaving it in long enough. Although you expect things to be automatic or close to it nowadays. I'll have them flash my radio next time I take it in, but it was built in April 2019 so not sure if that matters. Thanks for the pointers.
I had to let it read for a good 5-10 minutes the initial time. After that, it's almost instantaneous.

ant0064

Reaction score
I had to let it read for a good 5-10 minutes the initial time. After that, it's almost instantaneous.

Does it actually tell you it's reading it or does nothing happen? With mine pretty much nothing happened lol...all I could do was select the USB-1 option because it knew something was in there.

ant0064

Reaction score

Also I quickly realized how bad Android auto is for music since I tried that route. I don't even know how to search through my artists, or if there is even a way to do so. Once again I am left with actually using my phone to scroll through songs. Extremely disappointing.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does it actually tell you it's reading it or does nothing happen? With mine pretty much nothing happened lol...all I could do was select the USB-1 option because it knew something was in there.
Yes, it will say scanning..or reading, please wait, or something like that.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Also I quickly realized how bad Android auto is for music since I tried that route. I don't even know how to search through my artists, or if there is even a way to do so. Once again I am left with actually using my phone to scroll through songs. Extremely disappointing.
I consider myself to be fairly savvy. I cannot figure out a way to search on Android Auto. Pretty stupid that it does not have that feature. It should work like an extension of your phone.

ant0064

Reaction score
Yes, it will say scanning..or reading, please wait, or something like that.

Yeah I'm not even getting that. I'm also pretty good with technology and can't figure out how to simply search by artist/album/song using Android Auto/Amazon Music.

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
AA has a 6 tap limit in so many seconds so AA Music Apps don't usually have a search feature as it would take much more than 6 taps. Sucks, I know. They want you to use voice control but then they want you to use YouTube Music for voice to actually work which also sucks IMO.

If you're into hacking or work-arounds, there are some programs out there that can bypass the tap limitation but YMMV if that works.

There is suppose to be a new AA release late this summer but I don't really know of there will fix anything.

We are literally victim of companies trying to force us to purchase their line of products and apps. Our whole Uconnect systems from maps to media to services is based off of companies who made deals with each other to have customers subscribe so they all get a chunk of your money.

DM-SC

Reaction score
I bought an iPhone 5S from a co-worker, to replace my gen 2 iPod Touch. Hated the old style Apple connector.

I tuned changed to settings so it doesn't auto launch Car Play when I plug it in to the USB port.

Works great and starts playing music in just a few seconds after connecting.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

ant0064

Reaction score
AA has a 6 tap limit in so many seconds so AA Music Apps don't usually have a search feature as it would take much more than 6 taps. Sucks, I know. They want you to use voice control but then they want you to use YouTube Music for voice to actually work which also sucks IMO.

If you're into hacking or work-arounds, there are some programs out there that can bypass the tap limitation but YMMV if that works.

There is suppose to be a new AA release late this summer but I don't really know of there will fix anything.

We are literally victim of companies trying to force us to purchase their line of products and apps. Our whole Uconnect systems from maps to media to services is based off of companies who made deals with each other to have customers subscribe so they all get a chunk of your money.

I'm thinking I may need to reformat my 128GB Samsung Fit flash drive to FAT32 after doing some reading. If that works I will likely never use AA again.

barr0208

Reaction score
I'm having some issues with playing music in my truck. The iPod no longer works like it used to in my old truck. So I resorted to purchasing a Samsung Fit Plus Flash Drive...I copied all my music over and put it in USB-1 slot in the truck...figuring it would play, easy enough...wrong. Didn't even recognize it.

My second option is loading all of my songs onto my phone and playing through bluetooth...but I can't actually browse on my 12-inch, "advanced technology luxury" screen. I have to select files from my phone and it does play, but very annoying considering the previous gen had better music technology it appears. Is there any way to be able to browse through my music on the screen, or do I need to select it from my phone if I go this route?

Also, the flash drive would seem very convenient if it actually worked...anyone else figure this out, or are there any tricks/tips?

Thanks!
put your usb stick in usb 2 thats what I did it works remembers my last track etc

Users who are viewing this thread