5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Multimedia box

HydroRebel

Reaction score
Alright! got to spend some time with this. Let me start by saying i bought this...nobody gave it to me or asked me to review. this thing is incredible. the wireless carplay works great and the video on the uconnect is flawless! i tried netflix, you tube, an IPTV app amongst other things. Voices are perfectly synced. Only thing you need is to turn on your mobile hotspot as that is how it streams. I HIGHLY recommend this little box.
The website says it uses the mobile Hotspot from your phone. Is that how you use it or do you use the Hotspot from your truck? I'm curious if it can work with either.

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It should work for either provided you're paying for network service on the truck. If you have content saved locally on your phone (like a Netflix download) it shouldn't use mobile data.

RHCan

USAF Retired Vet
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have hotspots for my truck and my phone so I should be good

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok, I've got mine yesterday. Install is a breeze. Mine did not work with the USB-C cable. It gave me an error stating " Play Station detected, please unplug the previous Station and plug it back in".
Did not work, then I used a USB-A cable and it works perfectly for what it was designed. Watch movies and play games. I purchased this unit for a different reason. Since you can download Apps from the play store, I tried to download DashCommand to get vehicle information on the screen. It did not download the App. It started downloading, then after 5 sec. it stopped and said App not installed. Could be that it is not a game, movie player or messaging app, don't know. Downloaded the Apk and sideloaded it to the unit and works fine. Now, the problem is with getting the data from the OBDII dongle to the screen. This unit cannot pair with a Bluetooth device other then a phone or music player because the pairing has to be initiated from the other device. The Multimedia box can only be discovered and paired from the phone or music player. Next, I will try a WiFi OBDII dongle and pair it like the hotspot on the phone. Will see if that works. Below is a screen shot to illustrate what I would like to do.
20210726_143004.jpg

dorskh

Reaction score
It should work for either provided you're paying for network service on the truck. If you have content saved locally on your phone (like a Netflix download) it shouldn't use mobile data.
it works independently of your phone...so if you have netflix saved on your phone you would have to screen mirror to watch that content. its basically its own little computer

RHCan

USAF Retired Vet
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Got mines today . Played with it a little bit and it does w hat it said it would. Now I need to learn the ins and out of it.

NDThumper

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

We got our new box today and one thing that I did not notice
is you have to have hot wifi option on your phone plan. We have
Verizon and it will just cost us $20 a month to upgrade with 15 gig
data.

Have you guys run into problems with just that much data to use?

Thanks for the info.

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You need to get a better plan or provider. I pay $57 a month for everything unlimited, including hotspot. (Sprint)

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I pay $30/month on Mint for unlimited everything and 5GB hotspot. More hotspot is cheap too but I never need it. Mint runs on T-Mobile so YMMV.

NDThumper

Reaction score
That $20 would be for both phones, we pay about $104 for unlimited
text and data now. The problem is coverage up here in North Dakota,
I know other friends here that have other plans and have a lot of dead
area's up here for them. We have always had great coverage with
verizon.

We'll give it a shot and see how it goes.

I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Corso923

Reaction score
Did anyone use this on Uconnect 5 with wireless carplay and android? Assuming that you still have to plug in but does it still work?

billybaloneey

Reaction score
Ok, I've got mine yesterday. Install is a breeze. Mine did not work with the USB-C cable. It gave me an error stating " Play Station detected, please unplug the previous Station and plug it back in".
Did not work, then I used a USB-A cable and it works perfectly for what it was designed. Watch movies and play games. I purchased this unit for a different reason. Since you can download Apps from the play store, I tried to download DashCommand to get vehicle information on the screen. It did not download the App. It started downloading, then after 5 sec. it stopped and said App not installed. Could be that it is not a game, movie player or messaging app, don't know. Downloaded the Apk and sideloaded it to the unit and works fine. Now, the problem is with getting the data from the OBDII dongle to the screen. This unit cannot pair with a Bluetooth device other then a phone or music player because the pairing has to be initiated from the other device. The Multimedia box can only be discovered and paired from the phone or music player. Next, I will try a WiFi OBDII dongle and pair it like the hotspot on the phone. Will see if that works. Below is a screen shot to illustrate what I would like to do.
View attachment 101080
The device made by KSPIV...sold on Amazon...has dual Bluetooth functionality...and it will pair up with a Bluetooth OBDII...works great with the app Torque.

tdog65

Reaction score
I got one of these few months ago and works great. My only complaint would be that once you plug it in you lose the Bluetooth or handsfree on phone. It does look like at some point you might be able to plug in device then bluetooth your phone to the device but when I bought mine it said do not do this yet. If anybody has done that let me know if works.

Users who are viewing this thread