5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Multifunction Tailgate

VETTE277

Reaction score
Anyone know if the multifunction tailgate includes remote open/unlock even on Rebel models ?

Kooch80

Reaction score
Anyone know if the multifunction tailgate includes remote open/unlock even on Rebel models ?
I do not know if you can get it but I know my 19 Rebel does not have remote open. It does lock/unlock.

JustMe

Reaction score
I do not know if you can get it but I know my 19 Rebel does not have remote open. It does lock/unlock.
How much extra was the option to lock/unlock feature ? . . . :LOL: ;)

MLB12

Reaction score

I can confirm that the remote(with the key fob or the switch in overhead console) lock/unlock isn't available with the multifunction tailgate on the Rebels, but how about with the Limited or the LongHorn?

Can someone weigh in on this and provide some feedback.

drew7811

Reaction score
I can confirm that the remote(with the key fob or the switch in overhead console) lock/unlock isn't available with the multifunction tailgate on the Rebels, but how about with the Limited or the LongHorn?

Can someone weigh in on this and provide some feedback.

I have a 2019 Laramie and it has the multifunction (auto-open) tailgate on the overhead and on the key fob.

mikkel

Reaction score
Like drew7811 indicated, my 2020 Limited with MFT has a tailgate release button on the key fob. Also the tailgate operates like the doors with regards to passive entry. If the truck is locked, the tailgate will unlock when the key fob is in close proximity. If no key fob is nearby, the tailgate will not open when I actuate either tailgate release paddle.

MLB12

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Laramie and it has the multifunction (auto-open) tailgate on the overhead and on the key fob.
Great! Thanks for the input on this, it'll help me towards the final decision about retrofitting the MFT to my '19 Longhorn, but this also leads one to wonder why the difference between the various models? Only Mother MOPAR knows.

Ronkartz72

Reaction score
Great! Thanks for the input on this, it'll help me towards the final decision about retrofitting the MFT to my '19 Longhorn, but this also leads one to wonder why the difference between the various models? Only Mother MOPAR knows.
Are you changing out the whole bed? From what I understand, the whole bed has to be changed in order to have the MFT.

MLB12

Reaction score
That's what various other members have advised, but I've been able to have two trucks, a '19 and a '20 on hoists, side by side, and from what I can find there's no critical difference in any of the box components-no extra bracing on the underside, or anything like that. Now, there is of course, the horizontal bracing at the inside front top corners of the box. There are two bolt-in corner sections, but that's all.

As far as the back end of the box is concerned, the two strikers, as FCA calls them, are longer than those used on the standard tailgate, and they are mounted in a slightly different location. I've already designed a workaround for that, so not too a big deal.

Everything else, at least mechanically, is interchangeable. Right now the problem I'm working on is the latch release for the left-hand door segment. It is electrically operated and I'm just trying to track the circuitry for it. I may end up actually creating a single line jumper for that. I'm open to any suggestions, or input, anyone may have on the this aspect of the project.

I am getting there, it's just taking a bit longer than I had hoped, but I want to have all my ducks in a row before I go and order almost $3,000.00 worth of parts.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's what various other members have advised, but I've been able to have two trucks, a '19 and a '20 on hoists, side by side, and from what I can find there's no critical difference in any of the box components-no extra bracing on the underside, or anything like that. Now, there is of course, the horizontal bracing at the inside front top corners of the box. There are two bolt-in corner sections, but that's all.

As far as the back end of the box is concerned, the two strikers, as FCA calls them, are longer than those used on the standard tailgate, and they are mounted in a slightly different location. I've already designed a workaround for that, so not too a big deal.

Everything else, at least mechanically, is interchangeable. Right now the problem I'm working on is the latch release for the left-hand door segment. It is electrically operated and I'm just trying to track the circuitry for it. I may end up actually creating a single line jumper for that. I'm open to any suggestions, or input, anyone may have on the this aspect of the project.

I am getting there, it's just taking a bit longer than I had hoped, but I want to have all my ducks in a row before I go and order almost $3,000.00 worth of parts.
Good on you for taking this on as your own research project and trying to do it yourself. Please keep us posted, and the more photos you take during yoru project that you can share with others, the better.
Good luck!

Ronkartz72

Reaction score
Well I am staying tuned for the "hold my beer and watch this" moment. I am interested in the MFT, it looks like it would be easier to get stuff in and out of the truck.

MLB12

Reaction score
Good on you for taking this on as your own research project and trying to do it yourself. Please keep us posted, and the more photos you take during yoru project that you can share with others, the better.
Good luck!
Thanks for that. I think it'll be mostly luck and a bit of skill......

MLB12

Reaction score
Well I am staying tuned for the "hold my beer and watch this" moment. I am interested in the MFT, it looks like it would be easier to get stuff in and out of the truck.
Maybe have a whole case of beer at your disposal. As I don't drink, you can imbibe for the both of us!

I'll keep everyone posted. I'm actually getting my hands on a truck for the weekend, so I'll be able to do some final scheming and planning to see if this will work, so stand by.

stronbl

Reaction score
Just received my new 2020 Ram 1500 Limited with MFT. So far everything is good and we're enjoying the truck.

But I do have a general question for those with MFT. When I open it barn door style, works great. But when I close it, I seem to have to shut it a harder than what seems like a normal closing force. If I close it with what seems like a proper closing force, inside the cab I get the warning light on the dash that the tailgate is not closed all the way. If I slam it shut, it's fine (latched and no warning light). I wonder if my latches are aligned properly, anyone else seem to have to "slam" it shut in barn door mode? BTW - normal drop mode no issues, closes easily. Thanks for any insights.

PS - I know "slam" is a relative term.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just received my new 2020 Ram 1500 Limited with MFT. So far everything is good and we're enjoying the truck.

But I do have a general question for those with MFT. When I open it barn door style, works great. But when I close it, I seem to have to shut it a harder than what seems like a normal closing force. If I close it with what seems like a proper closing force, inside the cab I get the warning light on the dash that the tailgate is not closed all the way. If I slam it shut, it's fine (latched and no warning light). I wonder if my latches are aligned properly, anyone else seem to have to "slam" it shut in barn door mode? BTW - normal drop mode no issues, closes easily. Thanks for any insights.

PS - I know "slam" is a relative term.
I've noticed that on ours as well - it seems like it takes a bit more "slam" than expected to ensure that the swing gates close firmly. The two halves of the gate on our truck are aligned perfectly visually, but a couple of times in the four months we've had ours, I got the swing-gate ajar indicator light on the dash. What I find is that if I put the palm of my hand on the lower portion of the swing gates, give them a decent slam and keep my hand firmly on the gates as they latch, so they don't "bounce" or flex quite as much, I don't get the warning light any more.
I'm just speculating here, but I wonder if maybe it's due to the super-light aluminum construction. Aluminum as a material just isn't as stiff as steel, and it tends to both flex and "ring" more than steel (i.e. inherently less damping in the aluminum material itself compared to steel, assuming the structural designs are the same), and it feels to me like the swing gates "bounce" a bit when they close. That's why I keep my hand firmly against the lower half of each gate as they strike, so that my hand & arm damp out the inherent bounce/flex.
Just my take on it, pure speculation on the flex/bouncing theory, but my way of closing them works for me.
PS: You're going to LOVE the Ram "MFTG" - best $995 I ever spent on any single option on a vehicle. I use the swing-gate feature every single time I use the truck, and it makes me smile every time. SO much easier to load & unload.

stronbl

Reaction score
Thanks Go-Ram, I'll try using your suggested hand position and see if I can close it without the warning light coming on. :)

Users who are viewing this thread