5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Multifunction Tailgate unorderable??

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Local dealer told me that RAM is only allowing the Multi/dual Function Tailgate to be ordered on trucks with the 5'7" bed.
Another dealer said the FCA system would not let them spec a Quad Cab and MFT, so somewhat of a confirmation.

Anybody heard the same? If so, is it temporary or permanent restriction?

Are you trying to order 2020? Is that already doable? I heard 2019 orders are done.

If the brackets at cab are necessary to reduce force when the tailgate swings open, it might make sense that it doesn't get optioned onto the long bed. Longer bed = longer lever arm = more force applied.

Last edited:
I'd say wait until they can get the 2020 model. I thought it was only for the 6'4" and not the 5'7"? Definitely not the RAM BOX which is what I wanted it for :(

I am in the process of ordering a 2020 Laramie CC with 5'7" bed. The Dual Function Tailgate IS available with the RamBox. However the truck colors are currently limited to Black, White and Granite Crystal ONLY if you want that tailgate. No word on when the color restriction might be lifted.

Local dealer told me that RAM is only allowing the Multi/dual Function Tailgate to be ordered on trucks with the 5'7" bed.
Another dealer said the FCA system would not let them spec a Quad Cab and MFT, so somewhat of a confirmation.

Anybody heard the same? If so, is it temporary or permanent restriction?

Last edited:
Are you trying to order 2020? Is that already doable? I heard 2019 orders are done.

Dealer thought the 2019 order book was closed, but since the system will not let him configure a Quad Cab with MFT, he wasn't absolutely sure.
Will advise when i hear back...

I am in the process of ordering a 2020 Laramie CC with 5'7" bed. The Dual Function Tailgate IS available with the RamBox. However the truck colors are currently limited to Black, White and Granite Crystal ONLY if you want that tailgate. No word on when the color restriction might be lifted.

Which is exactly what I wanted :(

Two local dealers confirmed all orders are now 2020, but the DFT still cannot be ordered on a Quad Cab.
Anybody heard when they'll let that happen?

Did see a bunch of Crew 19's with DFTs on the lots...

Two local dealers confirmed all orders are now 2020, but the DFT still cannot be ordered on a Quad Cab.
Anybody heard when they'll let that happen?

Did see a bunch of Crew 19's with DFTs on the lots...

I'd almost guarantee its due to the length of the bed being too long, as timtlu said.

If the short bed needed braces to help prevent the bedside from twisting due to axial force being put on it by leverage of the DFT, the standard length bed would need an enormous brace added to prevent the same.

Heard from two sources that the Quad cab will be orderable with the multifunction/dual tailgate in the beginning of the 4th quarter.
Not sure about how reliable that info is, so if y'all hear any news, please post!

Heard from two sources that the Quad cab will be orderable with the multifunction/dual tailgate in the beginning of the 4th quarter.
Not sure about how reliable that info is, so if y'all hear any news, please post!
Any more updates regarding the MFT being available with the standard bed?

The MFT, now called Dual Function Tailgate, can be ordered on a Quad cab, and on 6'4" beds.
The issue, for some, is that the DFT cannot be ordered WITH air suspension, as of this moment.

One dealer had the FCA rep check into this, and said that Engineering had decided not to address the interference issues between the two, as they had with the 5'7" bed.

One note: the RAM ordering system WILL allow the Quad cab to be spec'd with both, but the FCA rep claims these orders may initially be accepted, but will get errored later, and have to be corrected. If anyone orders a Quad or 6'4" bed, DFT and 4 corner Air, please let us know what happens.

The MFT, now called Dual Function Tailgate, can be ordered on a Quad cab, and on 6'4" beds.
The issue, for some, is that the DFT cannot be ordered WITH air suspension, as of this moment.

One dealer had the FCA rep check into this, and said that Engineering had decided not to address the interference issues between the two, as they had with the 5'7" bed.

One note: the RAM ordering system WILL allow the Quad cab to be spec'd with both, but the FCA rep claims these orders may initially be accepted, but will get errored later, and have to be corrected. If anyone orders a Quad or 6'4" bed, DFT and 4 corner Air, please let us know what happens.
Thanks for the update. Will this be the same with a crew cab and 6'4" bed?

Currently trying to order a Limited Crew 5'7" with Rambox and MFT (DFT) and the Black Appearance Group (BAG) through a fleet manager. Configurator won't allow the Black Appearance Package and the MFT to be put together. I tried online with the Build and Price. Same thing. I thought the Build and Price module had a glitch as it won't let you add the MFT once you select the BAG. It reverts back to standard color and chrome wheels. Fleet manager said he couldn't get it ordered that way either. Not sure why as I have seen several window stickers online and a video where the 2020 Limited had both the MFT and the BAG.

I was told the DFT order limitations apply to all long-bed configs.

on the Limited, DFT & Black issue, two items: FCA regularly places limitations on ordering certain configs, to address logistics issues. One way to deal with constraints they are facing. So I wouldn’t give up quite yet.

also, don’t use the website as a guide - it’s not updated regularly enough, and so is wrong on certain combinations fairly often.

I was told the DFT order limitations apply to all long-bed configs.
Cj7 was told that you could get the MFT with a quad cab and 6'4" bed. If that is true then what would be the difference for a crew cab and 6'4" bed?

UPDATE: looks like you can now order the MFT / Dual function tailgate with the air suspension, contrary to earlier info. My dealer forwarded this email from his rep, and I think it means you can get a Quad Cab, DFT and 4 Corner Air...

"As a follow up to our conversation, in speaking directly to the supply chain team, LD Quad DT were not being built with the multi-function tailgate and air-ride suspension. I didn't get a lot of detail from the production team; just that we were not building the trucks with the options together. Hence, when trying to place an order in the system the order would bounce back and not allow it. Also, there was no time table provided on when the options would be compatible again.

Recently, it looks like the issue has been resolved and you can place the order. Apologies for the confusion around the build process and production capabilities."

YMMV

Users who are viewing this thread

Back