5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Multifunction Tailgate Klunking noise upon opening.

Matrixband

Reaction score
I have had my truck just a few days, and the only issue I see is that the MFT wobbles upon opening the left 60 barn door. I mean the frame wiggles a bit causing a movement of the closed right 40 door and the frame. It does it at the partial opening indent and also upon full opening. Sort of a klunk klunk I think when there is light pressure on the door. I am having the dealer look at it, but seems it's not aligned or not fastened properly? It does not do it when the right barn door is open. I wonder if something is not connected properly. It does look ok when closed, it is not misaligned that I can see. Most of the movement and noise seem to be the lower frame and the right side area.

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have had my truck just a few days, and the only issue I see is that the MFT wobbles upon opening the left 60 barn door. I mean the frame wiggles a bit causing a movement of the closed right 40 door and the frame. It does it at the partial opening indent and also upon full opening. Sort of a klunk klunk I think when there is light pressure on the door. I am having the dealer look at it, but seems it's not aligned or not fastened properly? It does not do it when the right barn door is open. I wonder if something is not connected properly. It does look ok when closed, it is not misaligned that I can see. Most of the movement and noise seem to be the lower frame and the right side area.

Yeah that doesn't sound right at all, mine has never done any of that and has been very solid overall. Hopefully they get you fixed up.

Matrixband

Reaction score
Update: I took the truck in a few times to the dealer where I purchased it. They seemed to acknowledge it was not right. Once they finally said they would order a part, the service department head (who was the one working my case)-- left the dealer. The remaining techs looked again (for a fourth) time and said it was functioning normally. Well, yes, it opens and closes, but it's not "normal". So, I went to the dealer closer to home, which has a larger service department. They seemed unsure as well but said they would research. After 6 weeks, they said they had a part on the way. They installed a new connector and it is FINALLY FIXED! No more wobble.

Last edited:

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Thanks for the update. I'm glad it's fixed. Most dealerships don't know much about the MFT.
Can you find out specifically what part they replaced?

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Update: I took the truck in a few times to the dealer where I purchased it. They seemed to acknowledge it was not right. Once they finally said they would order a part, the service department head (who was the one working my case)-- left the dealer. The remaining techs looked again (for a fourth) time and said it was functioning normally. Well, yes, it opens and closes, but it's not "normal". So, I went to the dealer closer to home, which has a larger service department. They seemed unsure as well but said they would research. After 6 weeks, they said they had a part on the way. They installed a new connector and it is FINALLY FIXED! No more wobble.
got any pictures for others that may have the same issue?

Users who are viewing this thread