5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Multifunction Tailgate issue

Reaction score
If its anything like my normal tailgate, it required slamming firmly to keep the open message from appearing on my cluster. Plus, it would not always lower. You could hear it clicking to open, but not actually releasing. I took a T-45 torx bit and loosened the passenger side tailgate strike-post, slid it rearwards about an 1/8th inch and retightened. This eliminated all of my tailgate issues permanently to date. Truck is 1 year old with 20k miles now. Tailgate works perfectly. Closes without slamming, and no message. MFT guys may be having a similar issues. It literally took less than a minute to resolve by moving the post.
Which side was not latching? I don't get an open message. my driver side always latches but I have to slam to close the passenger side latch. you can see where it is gapped out a little if you don't slam it. So should I move the passenger pin rearward, or the driver side pin forward?

Reaction score
Also worth noting that when I bought the truck, the tailgate didn't open. I didn't even check it on the test drive. turns out it had a bad body control module. Took the dealer 3 hours to change. It took them a month to get it in.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Also worth noting that when I bought the truck, the tailgate didn't open. I didn't even check it on the test drive. turns out it had a bad body control module. Took the dealer 3 hours to change. It took them a month to get it in.
Its the passenger side, that's where the sensor is located on the tailgate

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
.Just curious, did anyone who bought the MFT (multifunction tailgate) also get the cargo divider?
I just ordered a Laramie Longhorn Crew Cab 4x4 5'7" bed, with Ram Box, Bed Utility Group, and MFT. Nowhere did the dealer's ordering system indicate that it'll arrive with the cargo divider. Anyone else with a similarly-equipped truck have any first-hand knowledge on the cargo divider?
Thanks

1JK

Reaction score
.Just curious, did anyone who bought the MFT (multifunction tailgate) also get the cargo divider?
I just ordered a Laramie Longhorn Crew Cab 4x4 5'7" bed, with Ram Box, Bed Utility Group, and MFT. Nowhere did the dealer's ordering system indicate that it'll arrive with the cargo divider. Anyone else with a similarly-equipped truck have any first-hand knowledge on the cargo divider?
Thanks
Mine also had RamBox, BUG, and MF gate and it came with the divider, which is also a bed extender.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine also had RamBox, BUG, and MF gate and it came with the divider, which is also a bed extender.
Thanks for the confirmation, it gives me hope that mine will also arrive with the cargo divider.

MF2020

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Limited but my divider is not usable an extender because the bed attachment hardware is no longer on the truck. I was told that they no longer offer the bed in this configuration due to highway safety standards that require a better view of the tail lights than this particular bed divider/extender offers. This could be BS by the dealer that explained it to me but in fact my truck bed has no hardware to attach the bed divider too. Do you have the hardware mounts in your 2020 Ram for your bed divider to function as a bed extender?

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
Thanks
BUG comes with the divider, but all the newer trucks do not have the mounting hardware on the bed to use the divider as an extender. Ram figured out that it partially covers the rear lights so they removed those parts. Cost you around $100 to order them if they'll sell them to you.

MF2020

Reaction score
BUG comes with the divider, but all the newer trucks do not have the mounting hardware on the bed to use the divider as an extender. Ram figured out that it partially covers the rear lights so they removed those parts. Cost you around $100 to order them if they'll sell them to you.
I wonder if the hardware will still work with the muti-function tail gate.

MF2020

Reaction score
Also, anyone know if the new Ram bed extender works with the Ramboxes and multi-function tail gate? It looks like the AMP Research brand does not work with either. Although The current bed divider and the hardware would be my favorite solution.

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
Also, anyone know if the new Ram bed extender works with the Ramboxes and multi-function tail gate? It looks like the AMP Research brand does not work with either. Although The current bed divider and the hardware would be my favorite solution.
I have the ramboxes and MFT and bought a used divider. It's sitting in my shop. I'll go out and see if it looks like the plugs are there to install the hardware for the extender use.

1JK

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Limited but my divider is not usable an extender because the bed attachment hardware is no longer on the truck. I was told that they no longer offer the bed in this configuration due to highway safety standards that require a better view of the tail lights than this particular bed divider/extender offers. This could be BS by the dealer that explained it to me but in fact my truck bed has no hardware to attach the bed divider too. Do you have the hardware mounts in your 2020 Ram for your bed divider to function as a bed extender?
You are correct. Another surprise. the hardware isnt there but it lookes like the plastic molding just wasnt drilled out and hardware installed. Possibly it could be added if the socket mount is still there.

MF2020

Reaction score
You are correct. Another surprise. the hardware isnt there but it lookes like the plastic molding just wasnt drilled out and hardware installed. Possibly it could be added if the socket mount is still there.
Hopefully! Ordered the 2019 parts today and will report back to everyone if they will work on a 2020 Ram Limited with RamBoxes and Multifunction Tail Gate.

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
Hopefully! Ordered the 2019 parts today and will report back to everyone if they will work on a 2020 Ram Limited with RamBoxes and Multifunction Tail Gate.
Thanks for doing this. I wasn't motivated enough to drill the plastic and $90+ for the bolts/studs was more than I wanted to spend for something I'll use a couple times...maybe....

CortC

Reaction score
I picked up my 2020 Limited with RAMBox and MFT and the holes are there with the nut inserts on the bed. The parts to use the divider as a bed extender screw right in easily. The holes are covered with round plugs that come off using a trim or plastic rivet removal tool.

MF2020

Reaction score
I picked up my 2020 Limited with RAMBox and MFT and the holes are there with the nut inserts on the bed. The parts to use the divider as a bed extender screw right in easily. The holes are covered with round plugs that come off using a trim or plastic rivet removal tool.
[/QUOTE Ok, thank you! That is good news since the parts are on the way. I noticed the clearance from the tail gate divider hardware to the inside of the tail gate, when closed, is very close. I hope the divider hardware does not interfere with closing the tail gate.

Users who are viewing this thread