5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Multi Function Tailgate...

Extole

Reaction score
Although there's been some hurdles that I am still tackeling (finding compatible tonnoue cover or requiring extra force to close the tail gate so it doesn't trigger over worried "tailgate is not fully closed" warning I have to say I ABSOLUTELY love these tailgates regardless. They are so much more useful than other competitors in a practical scenario. I literally use the MFT tailgate exclusively 90% of the time opposed to the traditional tail gate drop down. From reaching things in the bed, Shoveling sand or dirt out of the bed and not having to overcome the extra length of the tailgate or tossing the dirt/concrete (usually had to remove tailgate) to even stepping into the bed is just so much easier and convenient than the competition (have owned/experienced nearly all truck brands and their tailgate options in real world scenario). Don't need to pull out a ton of things to step onto the bed instead i just open one side of the barn doors, step onto mid section of the bumper which lowered and is lowered so stepping onto the bed while holding onto the other side barn door for leverage is easy. With other brands I literally always contemplated in my head which would be easier/quicker "Should i use that tail gate function with a ton of thing to pull out or configure than reconfigure to close to get into the bed" but with ram Ram MFT it's a no brainer with the MFT, I open one door and does everything I need it too.

Last edited:

plucas

Reaction score
I love my multi-function tailgate also. I use it maybe even more than 90% of the time as it is super useful for the majority of how I use the truck. I am not looking for a tonneau cover for the truck so that part isn't an issue for me.

fflis

Reaction score
Why would a tonneau cover be any different than with the standard tailgate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kooch80

Reaction score
Why would a tonneau cover be any different than with the standard tailgate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The MFT has brackets in the front of the bed that trucks without the MFT do not have. the are in the way of the clamps that most tonneau covers use to attach the rails. brackets are a non issue with the rambox trucks though.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I know those who have the MFT love it. I couldn't have it on my truck because I'm OCD and cannot stand the look of the line where the tailgate sides separate. For the same reason, I don't like the RAM boxes. If they could find a way to better integrate the MFT and RAM boxes with cleaner lines; then I would welcome their functionality.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I know those who have the MFT love it. I couldn't have it on my truck because I'm OCD and cannot stand the look of the line where the tailgate sides separate. For the same reason, I don't like the RAM boxes. If they could find a way to better integrate the MFT and RAM boxes with cleaner lines; then I would welcome their functionality.
Not sure what your idea of doing the rambox in a better way would be, but as a rambox owner, I can tell you that I love the design. Lid warping issues aside (on 5th gens), the boxes themselves are extremely useful. The inside bed portion that is lost isn't very useful for my anyway, especially with the short bed. I can still put 4 foot wide materials in the bed. And the bed divider is also extremely useful to have. It keeps stuff from sliding forward in the bed. I only wish I would have opted for the MFT. Another bonus of the rambox is that you don't have the bracing for the MFT that the normal bed does. So you can use the same bed covers as a rambox without the MFT.

airgas1998

Reaction score
i have no problem with the joint/line of the mft...the way the ramboxes look on the side that's another story. especially how ****ty there aligned...

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not sure what your idea of doing the rambox in a better way would be, but as a rambox owner, I can tell you that I love the design. Lid warping issues aside (on 5th gens), the boxes themselves are extremely useful. The inside bed portion that is lost isn't very useful for my anyway, especially with the short bed. I can still put 4 foot wide materials in the bed. And the bed divider is also extremely useful to have. It keeps stuff from sliding forward in the bed. I only wish I would have opted for the MFT. Another bonus of the rambox is that you don't have the bracing for the MFT that the normal bed does. So you can use the same bed covers as a rambox without the MFT.
I don't really have a better idea for the RAM Boxes; just stating that I'm not a fan of them. If I need additional storage I'll buy the RAM Sliding Tool Box. Its good that RAM has options to satisfy different needs and desires.

BillyCrash

Reaction score
Although there's been some hurdles that I am still tackeling (finding compatible tonnoue cover or requiring extra force to close the tail gate so it doesn't trigger over worried "tailgate is not fully closed" warning I have to say I ABSOLUTELY love these tailgates regardless. They are so much more useful than other competitors in a practical scenario. I literally use the MFT tailgate exclusively 90% of the time opposed to the traditional tail gate drop down. From reaching things in the bed, Shoveling sand or dirt out of the bed and not having to overcome the extra length of the tailgate or tossing the dirt/concrete (usually had to remove tailgate) to even stepping into the bed is just so much easier and convenient than the competition (have owned/experienced nearly all truck brands and their tailgate options in real world scenario). Don't need to pull out a ton of things to step onto the bed instead i just open one side of the barn doors, step onto mid section of the bumper which lowered and is lowered so stepping onto the bed while holding onto the other side barn door for leverage is easy. With other brands I literally always contemplated in my head which would be easier/quicker "Should i use that tail gate function with a ton of thing to pull out or configure than reconfigure to close to get into the bed" but with ram Ram MFT it's a no brainer with the MFT, I open one door and does everything I need it too.
Yeah, I too frequently get the "tailgate not fully closed" warning message, seems you really have to slam the gate pretty forcefully to keep that from coming on. Maybe I'm not doing it right, I don't know. But overall love the split tailgate and ramboxes, wouldn't want my Rebel without them.

Users who are viewing this thread