5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Multi function tailgate removal

firemanjay

Reaction score
I've searched here for instructions but can't seem to find any info.
Is it possible to remove the tailgate? If so how do you do it?
I would look in my owners manual but the dealership didn't have it....they lost it so they are ordering me one, probably removed by someone when it was on the showroom floor (had the dealer pull it out so i could test drive it bought it right then and there) I'm sure they can take one from another limited which is what the will probably do and just kick that can down the road.
Looking to install a tailgate light in the near future so was just doing some homework prep

AMS Guru

AMS Guru, Ram Guru-ish
Reaction score
I've searched here for instructions but can't seem to find any info.
Is it possible to remove the tailgate? If so how do you do it?
I would look in my owners manual but the dealership didn't have it....they lost it so they are ordering me one, probably removed by someone when it was on the showroom floor (had the dealer pull it out so i could test drive it bought it right then and there) I'm sure they can take one from another limited which is what the will probably do and just kick that can down the road.
Looking to install a tailgate light in the near future so was just doing some homework prep
This is right from the MY22 OM which should be the same for all DT trucks on tailgate removal procedure.

Attachments

• Tailgate Removal.pdf
    519.8 KB · Views: 71

AMS Guru

AMS Guru, Ram Guru-ish
Reaction score
Dang, that tailgate weighs 115lbs 😳
If it's the MFT, yes. The yoke frame, extra hinges, latches, etc. add a considerable amount of weight. The tailgate shell itself is aluminum. Keep in mind these tailgates also house the power latch(es) and camera as well. The MY22 on certain trim levels/option pkgs. will also include a "Trailer Hitch Light" within the tailgate latch opening aimed down as well.

AMS Guru

AMS Guru, Ram Guru-ish
Reaction score
Wow. I don't know what my standard tailgate weighs but given the fact my wife can close it, I'd say it's around five pounds. LOL.

Just curious. The standard tailgate is dampened when it's lowered. Is the MFT?
Yes it is. The dampener doesn't kick in until it's about halfway open. It does take a little effort to close but WAY better than some tailgates in the past.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Dang, that tailgate weighs 115lbs 😳
The regular tailgate on my 11 Ram probably weighed close to that. I had a latch problem and hit a bump and it popped open. I thought a bomb went off slammed open. It was heavy to lift it to close. My 21 Ram seems much lighter

mtnRN

Reaction score
well, I can tell you that tailgate is HEAVY. I have the multifunction tailgate and once had something got jammed in the space between the tailgate and bed when in the normal down position. When I went to close it, the tailgate popped off and was a huge pain in the *** to put back on.

Users who are viewing this thread