5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Multi Function Tailgate noise

Kiwiaudio

Reaction score
My passenger side tailgate bushing has a lot of free play in it. Most noticeable with the left hand side door open, i can grab the lower edge of the right hand door and move it back and forth with a clunking noise. When opening the left hand door, this clunk noise happens and i traced it to this bushing in the right side door.

Might be perfectly normal, im not sure. Could someone with the MFT tailgate please reply if your trucks tailgate is this way ?

dajogejr

Reaction score
I’ll check mine later today. I’ve noticed a tad bit of play before, didn’t give me any reason for concern, I just figured it was due to it being able to split open like barn doors or fold down.

I can tell you, mine may/may not be different. I have RAM boxes.

Kiwiaudio

Reaction score
Its possible the passenger side hinge where im seeing the movement, is the one that is slotted to allow the removal of the tailgate. Its therefore possible this movement is entirely normal.
But id appreciate your opinion after you check yours.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I haven't noticed it on our 2020 Limited. I haven't specifically checked for that kind of play, but I use it enough that I would have noticed it. But I'll try to remember to check when I get home from work today.

dajogejr

Reaction score
So, I have the exact same as you. Right at 9K miles on mine.
Opening the MFT as barn doors instead of tailgate down.
Left side (Driver) no play.
Right side (Passenger) what I’d say is maybe… 1/8” if not less.
Took a couple videos if this helps. But nothing I’d be worried about. Looks like the play is at the hinge point where the tailgate would pivot down, tried to get a video of where I saw actual movement. Let me know if you can’t see/review the videos.,

Kiwiaudio

Reaction score
Yep thats what i have going on. Im going to call it normal.
Did notice i have one of the barn door bumpers missing, and looking at the stupid way they attach, they will go missing a lot. Guess ill order some and silicone them in place.
Thanks for checking that for me . (y)

dajogejr

Reaction score
Did not notice if mine were missing… because I didn’t think to look…LOL.
Once it warms up a bit, I do have the kit to seal the talgate to the bed to the tri fold cover.
I didn’t want to put it on when it was cold, wanted the adhesive to have a fighting chance of staying put… :)

Kiwiaudio

Reaction score
Please let us know how well your tailgate sealing kit works out.
The missing bumper part is called a "twist lock bumper" and there should be 4 of them. Each barn door closes on 2 of them. They do not seem to "lock" at all when you twist them into the slot. Silicone install necessary. Expect to lose them on a regular basis. They are around $6 each.

dajogejr

Reaction score
Please let us know how well your tailgate sealing kit works out.
The missing bumper part is called a "twist lock bumper" and there should be 4 of them. Each barn door closes on 2 of them. They do not seem to "lock" at all when you twist them into the slot. Silicone install necessary. Expect to lose them on a regular basis. They are around $6 each.
Well turn about is fair play sir… :). You mind, as you have time, snapping a photo of said bumper and location? :)

Kiwiaudio

Reaction score
Sure. Here is one of the bumpers on the right, and the hole/slot for the missing one on the left.
IMG_3942.jpg

dajogejr

Reaction score
Well…now I gotta wait till it’s light out and see if I have those. I frankly don’t recall seeing them…but I wasn’t exactly looking :). Thanks Kiwi.

Kiwiaudio

Reaction score
Id be surprised if they are not missing on a lot of trucks out there

dajogejr

Reaction score
Are you sitting down… to my surprise all 4 are on there :)
Never noticed them before, but I will now. Two are nice and snug, two spin somewhat freely.
One last favor, any chance you have a part number for them? I’ll just order up 4. When they fall out, I’ll replace and silicone them in.

Thank you again!!

Kiwiaudio

Reaction score
LOL ! All 3 i have left spin freely and i dont hold out much hope for them. My replacement should be here in a couple of days and then they all get siliconed in. With silicone on the surface and a 1/4 turn install i cannot see them coming out after it sets.
Glad to hear yours have survived :)
Part # is 68398976AC $5.10 ea.

dajogejr

Reaction score
Thank you sir.
Moparwholesaleparts.com has them for 3.81 a piece plus shipping. Tax and shipped to MI is $23.21 FYI.

dajogejr

Reaction score
True..:). You’ll have to balance, as I just did…. Time spent going to dealer, making sure they have it (time For phone call), gas and your time, vs… discounted online price plus tax and shipping. In reality, I paid about a buck or two more retail but, I didn’t spend a minute (or minutes…many) on the phone, driving to, gas, etc., picking them up. As they say, price to pay for convenience. Kiwi thanks again for the picture, part number, and heads up sir!

Users who are viewing this thread