5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Multi Function Tailgate (MFT) & Topper

utah

Reaction score
Hi,

I was told today that a truck with a multi function tailgate (MFT) will not work with an A.R.E topper due to the difference corner brackets that are used at the head of the bed for trucks with a MFT. It something to do with not being able to secure the top.

I was told LEER will work with a MFT.

Has anyone with a MFT installed an A.R.E topper?

Any thoughts on if the replacement brackets from right on brackets would make a difference? I don’t think they will as there isn’t a lip for the topper to attach to.

thanks!

Hi,

I was told today that a truck with a multi function tailgate (MFT) will not work with an A.R.E topper due to the difference corner brackets that are used at the head of the bed for trucks with a MFT. It something to do with not being able to secure the top.

I was told LEER will work with a MFT.

Has anyone with a MFT installed an A.R.E topper?

Any thoughts on if the replacement brackets from right on brackets would make a difference? I don’t think they will as there isn’t a lip for the topper to attach to.

thanks!
You might to look at the Right On Brackets that replace the factory brackets, I used them with great success for my Retrax cover. Good Luck

I am curious about this - does the mft change the bed rails other than the 2 brackets up front? If not I don't see an issue - my ARE cap attaches with 4 C brackets and as long as you place them just back from the braces it shouldn't matter. I'm curious as I am considering the mft on my next truck and always use a topper.

The C clamps aren't the issue. Yes you can place the first back(toward rear) from the clamp. It's the profile and depth of the rail. The Access cover I got, the rail are cut out where the bracket is, and sit on top of the bracket for support.

The C clamps aren't the issue. Yes you can place the first back(toward rear) from the clamp. It's the profile and depth of the rail. The Access cover I got, the rail are cut out where the bracket is, and sit on top of the bracket for support.
Gotcha - I think some of the confusion comes from those with a tonneau cover vs. a fiberglass cap/topper. I am using a fiberglass cap so as long as the box rails are the same width all around regardless of tailgate type (regular or mft) the topper should still work and the MFT may just impact placement of the inside clamps holding the topper to the bed. On a tonneau cover the whole installation changes as the cover needs to sit 'inside' the rails or mount flush to the side of the bed. Hope I am understanding correctly!

yes. my tonneau rails sit inside the "bed rail' not on top.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back