5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Multi-Function Tailgate HEAVY!

STR

Reaction score
I remember reading somewhere that the MFT was 75 pounds more than a standard tailgate, so it’s obviously heavy. I know it has a damper, but was wondering if others find it heavy to close. I can still close it with one hand, which is good considering its weight, but was wondering if it had a damper adjustment. Not complaining as I really like it, and use the swing-out feature 90% of the time, so not a big deal... just curious. Maybe I just got use to how feather light the Chevy tailgate was... :LOL::ROFLMAO:

airgas1998

Reaction score
I don't find it heavy at all....those gm tg's must be really light then...

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Not sure it's 75 lbs heavier, but it's definitely heavier than a standard tailgate. Is the damper on yours not working right? Why do you want to adjust it?

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Extra weight a non-issue compared to the benefit of having it. I use the barn door at least four times as often as the drop tail. Easily one of the most useful options ever. That, the air suspension and the coil springs more than make up for the old-school 5.7.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The 75 lb extra also includes the frame around it and the bed stiffening so the tailgate itself is not 75 lbs heavier. I've not seen anything on how the damper works on it but on the non MFT models it is just a small shock behind the driver's side tail light with no adjustment.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For me weight wasn't the concern. Having those intricate parts fail out of warranty was the concern. I'm sure these new fancy tail gates are several thousand dollars MSRP to replace. The GM design, in particular, looks like a complete nightmare but I wouldn't expect anything less from GM.

STR

Reaction score
Not sure it's 75 lbs heavier, but it's definitely heavier than a standard tailgate. Is the damper on yours not working right? Why do you want to adjust it?
The 75 lb extra also includes the frame around it and the bed stiffening so the tailgate itself is not 75 lbs heavier. I've not seen anything on how the damper works on it but on the non MFT models it is just a small shock behind the driver's side tail light with no adjustment.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a26146609/ram-1500-tailgate-2019/: “It weighs around 75 pounds more than a standard tailgate, according to Ram.“

https://www.motortrend.com/news/tailgate-wars-ram-vs-gmc-vs-ford/: “The feature is cool, but it does add weight. Ram tells us the Multifunction tailgate weighs 75 pounds more than the standard gate,...”

Other articles report the same...

Agian, not complaining, it was just an observation. I really like the MFT and glad that I have it...

EugeneYYZ

Reaction score
complete rear system weight 75 lbs more , not the tailgate part itself , its aluminum , extra frame could weight around 60 lbs plus 2 aluminum doors

Car2n

Reaction score
Does anyone knows the part number for the damper strut for the MFT on a 2021, thank you in advance.

Michael_D

Reaction score
No way it's 75 pounds heavier. Maybe if you include the mounting hardware/frame, but not the tailgate alone. My 2019 did not have the MFT, the 2022 does.

Frankly, I find it lacking in substance and am concerned I might accidentally break the damn thing. I wouldn't want to just "hop" up onto it, or hang too much weight over it (lumber/etc), like all other truck tailgates I've owned over the past three decades. I would not recommend this tailgate to anyone who actually uses their truck for "work".

SkittleRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It certainly is much heavier than both of my previous trucks(Ram & GMC) but I love it and I cant imagine life with out it. I almost never open in the traditional way.

dmitryDS

Reaction score
But multifunctional so much more convenient for non-heavy hauling needs.

But closing routine really suck sometimes... At least couple times a week, I have to go out and close it properly after starting the truck

Michael_D

Reaction score
Agreed. It is convenient. Just feels kinda weird to me, and I'm still getting used to it. I can recall tailgates of 70's and 80's trucks..... You didn't just flip them up with one arm........

A non-related question, but kinda related - What's the trick to getting the middle step to deploy? I'm feeling cognitively challenged at the moment, cause I can't seem to get it to work. I've tried pushing and kicking it from every direction and it doesn't budge.

dmitryDS

Reaction score
Not sure what kind of step you have.
I have 2021 Limited with a step on the driver's side. For me I step on it down and push towards me. It's spring loaded to stay in upward position, so you need to push it down and towards yourself.

Michael_D

Reaction score
It's the step in the middle that comes with the MFT equipted limited trucks. (2022) I had the one on the driver's side on the last truck.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
It's the step in the middle that comes with the MFT equipted limited trucks. (2022) I had the one on the driver's side on the last truck.
I just put my foot on it and pull back with a little downward pressure. It should deploy straight back.

No way it's 75 pounds heavier. Maybe if you include the mounting hardware/frame, but not the tailgate alone. My 2019 did not have the MFT, the 2022 does.

Frankly, I find it lacking in substance and am concerned I might accidentally break the damn thing. I wouldn't want to just "hop" up onto it, or hang too much weight over it (lumber/etc), like all other truck tailgates I've owned over the past three decades. I would not recommend this tailgate to anyone who actually uses their truck for "work".
You're right, the tailgate itself doesn't weigh 75 lbs. It's the frame that makes it weigh so much more. But it's a moot point since they both open together when you open the tailgate in the traditional way, since you're having to lift the frame with the tailgate as one when you close it.

The tailgate is advertised to support 2k lbs when opened. But I expect it would depend on how that weight is distributed. Maybe if you spread it across the entire width of the tailgate. But I'd be less trustful if that weight is resting on just a small area of the tailgate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/