5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Multi Function Tailgate + Bed Extender NOT!

SharkLazer

Reaction score
Thanks to this thread I got and installed the right part for the extender! Took a video that will eventually show up on youtube about them and how they work with the Rambox + Multifunction Tailgate. Covered whether you even need the cargo divider with the multifunction as well...

Had to use the earlier ebay link, the parts numbers didn't show up when I checked the other link.

Also know that it's a Torx 50 driver you'll need to put them on (at least for the ones I got, probably all of them) and if it's cold (23F that day) you're gonna snap all the clips that are plugging the install points :)

AevJk1day

Reaction score
I got them here, and these are the parts you need. Remember, you need 2 of each, total cost about $95.
FactoryChryslerParts.com

68054996AAHANDLE. Swivel Release.
2​
68054997ABGROMMET. PIVOT JOINT.
2​
I am a 21 Rebel (RamBox / MFT) in the delivery stage. I didn’t realize that Ram doesn’t include the lugs for it to be utilized as an extender any more. Any idea why??

I guess I’ll need to order these, thanks for sharing.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am a 21 Rebel (RamBox / MFT) in the delivery stage. I didn’t realize that Ram doesn’t include the lugs for it to be utilized as an extender any more. Any idea why??

I guess I’ll need to order these, thanks for sharing.

There have been plenty of posts with the laws and all the info you need to answer the "why" .. they stopped with the 2019 model due to federal law changes.

AevJk1day

Reaction score
There have been plenty of posts with the laws and all the info you need to answer the "why" .. they stopped with the 2019 model due to federal law changes.
Interesting, 🧐. I’ll have to look that up; I appreciate it.

AevJk1day

Reaction score
Also, I was under impression some configurations came with them.

Redfour5

Reaction score
Can you also use the extender as a divider? I want to keep items from sliding around in the bed.
Sort of a bump from a 2020 post, but the divider IS the extender. I found out that they essentially disabled the "extender" by taking out the fasteners that were at the end of the bed. Apparently some federal "safety regulation" got in the way so they solved the problem while EASILY letting owners solve the problem. The holes, however, are still there two on each side with plastic plugs in them AND you can buy the extenders on Ebay or Amazon for like 35 bucks and they take about five minutes to install.

screamin chicken

Reaction score
I do not have that, but I do have an issue with the right side (short) door loose from the frame and I asked the dealer and the mech. said it is normal to get the tailgate off, is everyone else with a multi-function have the same issue.

AevJk1day

Reaction score
I do not have that, but I do have an issue with the right side (short) door loose from the frame and I asked the dealer and the mech. said it is normal to get the tailgate off, is everyone else with a multi-function have the same issue.
Interesting, that’s not something I’ve noticed when looking at other trucks with the MFT.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Interesting, 🧐. I’ll have to look that up; I appreciate it.
I normally would see SUGGESTED at the bottom of the page while posting - I don't see that, so I was unable to quickly post the links for you :(

Also, I was under impression some configurations came with them.
Only the 2018-earlier. I "paid" for the Bed Group and it didn't come with them due to the federal law changes and FCA dropping the mounts. I've used my Divider/Extender once since I've owned my truck -- mostly to support a long headboard to keep it from sagging towards the ground behind the trailgate.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'm not following what you're describing, but neither of the doors on my MFT are loose in any way.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
For anyone considering buying these parts from Amazon, members in another forum have reported that the bolts are the wrong size and won't thread into the factory holes on the truck. So you might want to consider getting genuine Mopar parts for this.

bradfojd2

Reaction score
For anyone considering buying these parts from Amazon, members in another forum have reported that the bolts are the wrong size and won't thread into the factory holes on the truck. So you might want to consider getting genuine Mopar parts for this.
I fell victim to this. I bought off of Amazon and the threading appears to be wrong. I cannot get the bolt to thread. I am not sure if this is an issue where Amazon is selling the wrong part, or if Ram changed the threading of the holes on the 2021 model so that we can no longer use the parts. Does anyone have any insight?

bradfojd2

Reaction score
I fell victim to this. I bought off of Amazon and the threading appears to be wrong. I cannot get the bolt to thread. I am not sure if this is an issue where Amazon is selling the wrong part, or if Ram changed the threading of the holes on the 2021 model so that we can no longer use the parts. Does anyone have any insight?
I returned the items to Amazon that did not thread properly. I ordered another set on Amazon. Hopefully the new ones will fit.

BNeal

Reaction score
They have not changed. I ordered from Ram and they fit my 21 Limited perfectly.

bradfojd2

Reaction score
They have not changed. I ordered from Ram and they fit my 21 Limited perfectly.
I ordered a different set from Amazon and they fit my 21 limited perfectly as well.

Attachments

• IMG_6518.jpg
    IMG_6518.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_6519.jpg
    IMG_6519.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_6520.jpg
    IMG_6520.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_6521.jpg
    IMG_6521.jpg