5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Multi Function Tail Gate Small Door Won’t Open

BostonBLS

Reaction score
Having an issue where the small barn door won’t open. Anyone else run into this and have idea where to start before I start taking things apart?

BostonBLS

Reaction score
Latch is completely rusted. They told me they got it to work by lubricating but not sure how long that will work. Since it is corrosion latch is not covered under warranty. They want $750 to replace. What a joke. Still under warranty and latch rusts out.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Did your truck not come with a corrosion warranty or is outside? I wanna say 5 years, but not 100% on that.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Lubricating latches falls under maintenance. If properly lubed, it would not have rusted.

BostonBLS

Reaction score
Lubricating latches falls under maintenance. If properly lubed, it would not have rusted.
Yup because everyone lubricates their tailgate latches inside the tailgate regularly.

I am all about keeping my vehicles clean and well maintained. Never have I had to take apart a tailgate to lubricate a latch. Especially not after only 4 years.

6of36

Reaction score
Yup because everyone lubricates their tailgate latches inside the tailgate regularly.

I am all about keeping my vehicles clean and well maintained. Never have I had to take apart a tailgate to lubricate a latch. Especially not after only 4 years.
Lubing latches is in the manual, under maintenance. If it was lubed properly, it wouldn't rust where it needed to be taken apart.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Never lubed a latch for any car\truck I have ever owned and never had a problem.
Sounds like a cop out for using the incorrect build material.
It's part of regular maintenance. While I haven't lived my Ram yet, I have lubricated the latches on most of the vehicles I have owned. Normally you can tell wen they are starting to get a little sticky and need lubrication. Same with the door hinges.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
It's part of regular maintenance. While I haven't lived my Ram yet, I have lubricated the latches on most of the vehicles I have owned. Normally you can tell wen they are starting to get a little sticky and need lubrication. Same with the door hinges.
Even my 1993 oldsmobile 20 years old when I had it did not need lube on door or truck latches.
I'm sticking with what I said above.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Even my 1993 oldsmobile 20 years old when I had it did not need lube on door or truck latches.
I'm sticking with what I said above.
Did not "need" and you not doing it are different things. Many people never think they need to do some maintenance until an issue pops up that could have been prevented by doing the maintenance before the issue.

6of36

Reaction score
Never lubed a latch for any car\truck I have ever owned and never had a problem.
Sounds like a cop out for using the incorrect build material.
I know people who drove 40,000 miles without an oil change, that had no problems. ( she did blow it up at 45.) Just because you have no problems, doesn't mean it shouldn't have maintenance.

Jmac509

Reaction score
If lubricating the latches for the multi function tailgate are on the regular maintenance list does anyone have any recommendations on where to spray and what to use. It seems like some lubricants attract more dust and grit to stick to a surface. I would like to maintain my latches without worrying about getting everything gummed up.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If lubricating the latches for the multi function tailgate are on the regular maintenance list does anyone have any recommendations on where to spray and what to use. It seems like some lubricants attract more dust and grit to stick to a surface. I would like to maintain my latches without worrying about getting everything gummed up.
Use a dry graphite lubricant

6of36

Reaction score
Things like WD40 attract dust. I forget what it is called, because like everybody, I don't do it as often as you are supposed to,but there is a lube, that goes on, then gels for longer life. I just went to Menards, and read the labels, until I found one with the properties I wanted for various lubes.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Things like WD40 attract dust. I forget what it is called, because like everybody, I don't do it as often as you are supposed to,but there is a lube, that goes on, then gels for longer life. I just went to Menards, and read the labels, until I found one with the properties I wanted for various lubes.
And where are these latches you are suppose to lube on the MFT?

I think you are talking about white lithium grease.

6of36

Reaction score
And where are these latches you are suppose to lube on the MFT?

I think you are talking about white lithium grease.
It has the same latches as the normal tail gate, plus latches on the bottom of the two small doors. It wasn't lithium. I don't remember exactly what it was, and it's at my other house.

Users who are viewing this thread