5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Muffler Swap

Blazn

FifGen
Reaction score
So I did a thing...I talked to my local muffler shop and decided to just try out a muffler swap to see if that was enough sound for me. I swapped out just the muffler for a 14inch Magnaflow. Which IMO made a huge difference, just look at the muffler...it's huge: IMG_20180807_143754_373.jpg
I can turn that bad boy into a smoker.

Any how here's the sound without the resonators:

And the final product with resonators:
Sorry for the vertical video syndrome...also I left the mid muffler and resonators on because I was trying to avoid drone, which I have none.

Agitated

Reaction score
Can I ask why people do this? I know I'm not going to change the world here, but I don't understand it. There's no hp increase over modern OE mufflers, you can't hear the exhaust from inside the cab (so what's the point?), and it increases noise pollution so everyone else has no choice but to hear it. At least you kept a muffler on it, the Carolina boys just take the muffler out completely and it's bad. Sounds terrible that way too.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can I ask why people do this? I know I'm not going to change the world here, but I don't understand it. There's no hp increase over modern OE mufflers, you can't hear the exhaust from inside the cab (so what's the point?), and it increases noise pollution so everyone else has no choice but to hear it. At least you kept a muffler on it, the Carolina boys just take the muffler out completely and it's bad. Sounds terrible that way too.

Dude your avatar is literally a volume knob turned up to 11....

Pot, meet Kettle...

Blazn

FifGen
Reaction score
Simple...sound preference

1) You can definitely hear it on the inside

2) I'm not pushing out 180 decibels, so it's not obnoxious sound pollution

My 16 SP Charger was wayyyyy louder, to the point I felt bad starting her up in my subdivision. This is a noticeable sound but not wake all the babies and dogs.

Also as a sportsbike rider...its engrained in my very existence to be heard over being dead. Not completely unrelated number of times people aren't paying attention and almost merge into a big black Ram in the last month (5 times), post muffler (0 thus far)

Dude your avatar is literally a volume knob turned up to 11....

Pot, meet Kettle...
But his handle is Agitated so it kinda balances out ;)

Rustydodge

Reaction score

My 16 SP Charger was wayyyyy louder, to the point I felt bad starting her up in my subdivision. This is a noticeable sound but not wake all the babies and dogs.

Also as a sportsbike rider...its engrained in my very existence to be heard over being dead. Not completely unrelated number of times people aren't paying attention and almost merge into a big black Ram in the last month (5 times), post muffler (0 thus far)

Back when i had my sport bike i swore the louder exhaust scared all the deer away. Unfortunately when it came to my close calls, all were due to other people not seeing me and pulling out in front when driving in town, so not sound related.

You sure learn how to drive defensively after riding motorcycle.

I think that sounds pretty good. I swapped in a magnaflow on my current truck. Plan to do the same again.

Do you have the part number? center in /offset out?

TalibanHater

Reaction score

I ride (Speed Triple), and i get where you are coming from. I just want to suggest that loudness saves us is really confirmation bias. People are listening to Pandora, talking to their girlfriend, calling talk radio, so many things while driving. Even if your vehicle is loud enough to be louder than their in cabin noise levels, they still aren't paying attention to you.

It sounds like you're an attentive driver and that's what keeps you safe 99% of the time.

gavink

Reaction score
Any cutting at all? I'm leasing my truck, thinking I'll buy it out, but if not I'll need to be able to make it stock again.

Blazn

FifGen
Reaction score
Back when i had my sport bike i swore the louder exhaust scared all the deer away. Unfortunately when it came to my close calls, all were due to other people not seeing me and pulling out in front when driving in town, so not sound related.

You sure learn how to drive defensively after riding motorcycle.

I think that sounds pretty good. I swapped in a magnaflow on my current truck. Plan to do the same again.

Do you have the part number? center in /offset out?
Magnaflow part number: 14419
i don't know what center or offset specifically mean in this case, put I attached the link above.

Deer seemingly are compelled to jump in front of sports bikes and harleys. I will rev to garner attention to prevent people from pulling out on me....but I've also made eye contact (side by side) and still had people nearly run me off the road so sound is just one of many "ride or die" tools.

I ride (Speed Triple), and i get where you are coming from. I just want to suggest that loudness saves us is really confirmation bias. People are listening to Pandora, talking to their girlfriend, calling talk radio, so many things while driving. Even if your vehicle is loud enough to be louder than their in cabin noise levels, they still aren't paying attention to you.

It sounds like you're an attentive driver and that's what keeps you safe 99% of the time.
This is why I love this forumn...smart crowd for sure. I don't disagree and ultimately it's the riders attentiveness and ability to be aggressively defensive due to the fact that like I've stated I've locked eyes with someone and could tell that my existence didn't register with them on the road. I still believe in using all preventative deterrence at my disposal.
Well how high does this muffler go? If it goes to 12 then that’s just too much.
Comparatively if Carolina boys like it as loud as GA boys I'd say I'm a 6 with theirs at 13 and stock is 2 - 3
Any cutting at all? I'm leasing my truck, thinking I'll buy it out, but if not I'll need to be able to make it stock again.
Cut both ends of the stock muffler leaving enough to cleanly weld it back on just in case.

MrHankbot

I AM A ROBOT
Reaction score

Not to hijack the thread, just wanted to ask what year Speed Triple? I bought a Street Triple the first year they came out (2008). I love the thing, feels like getting shot out of a cannon face first.

TalibanHater

Reaction score
Not to hijack the thread, just wanted to ask what year Speed Triple? I bought a Street Triple the first year they came out (2008). I love the thing, feels like getting shot out of a cannon face first.
I have an 07. The model years go back to early 2000s actually. And yeah, its a rocket in accelerating. I Love it!

MrHankbot

I AM A ROBOT
Reaction score
I have an 07. The model years go back to early 2000s actually. And yeah, its a rocket in accelerating. I Love it!

Yeah the Speed Triples came out before the Street Triple. Mines the version that uses the Daytona 675 motor instead of the 1050.

TalibanHater

Reaction score
Yeah the Speed Triples came out before the Street Triple. Mines the version that uses the Daytona 675 motor instead of the 1050.

Doh!!! Tol Early and didn't read completely. My bad. Yeah i remember reading about the streets. People got super excited about em. I'm happy to hear you like yours! Keep the rubber down brother.

MrHankbot

I AM A ROBOT
Reaction score
Blazn, is the exhaust loud enough that you'd be hesitant to start it in a quiet neighborhood early in the morning? In my driveway I'd worry about annoying the neighbors if it's noisy at startup and idle since the back end would be pointing right at their houses.

Blazn

FifGen
Reaction score
Blazn, is the exhaust loud enough that you'd be hesitant to start it in a quiet neighborhood early in the morning? In my driveway I'd worry about annoying the neighbors if it's noisy at startup and idle since the back end would be pointing right at their houses.
No not at all too loud for a quiet neighborhood. Full wot people will notice, but a cold start and moderate revs is not obnoxious or annoying. A stock 6.4 will have a much louder cold start and this will only get you have way there. I was super self conscious about my SP Charger in the early morning.

This is how the truck should sound stock IMO. A nice rumble but not something that cops are spinning around for, I have 7 cops in my neighborhood and one lives across the street (we aren't even cordial)

Blazn

FifGen
Reaction score
Also note I also have a 2010 Road Glide in the garage with a 120ST Screaming Eagle engine swap....so I know the far end of obnoxiously loud spectrum.

Leaving all the resonators and mid muffler on just open up the note to a pleasant tone imo

Users who are viewing this thread